PDA

View Full Version : Mad Skillz, yo!!

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-08, 12:17 AM
So i am contemplating giving all classes +2 skill points. Also, I am thinking of stealing the perception and stealth idea from PF, and having all classes add perception to there skill lists.

How badly does this break the game? I can see at least one fix: Fighters on guard duty might actually be able to do the job, now!

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-08, 12:33 AM
Zip. Zero. Nada. This will only have positive effects on your game. (That's not sarcasm. There are way too many different skills in 3.5, and no-one gets enough skill points-- not even factotums).

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-01-08, 12:33 AM
I've been much happier since my group switched to using Stealth, Perception and Acrobatics from Pathfinder. It's great to spread out the availability of such skills (assuming that you give access to the meta skill to any class that had any of the individual ones) and also making it cheaper to be a well rounded scout/adventurer/certified badass. It seems to have both increased the competancy of the average character and the depth/believeablety of skill rich characters, since they can now have what their expected to by the party and modules and have a few choices that are truly the player's.

I'd recommend trying just the three combined skills pathfinder does, or use Acrobatics (Tumble/Balance: Dex) and Athletics (Climb/Jump+tie breaker in races between equal movement characters) first and see if that feels like enough. Your players won't like it if you do both, then decide it's too much.

Bullet06320
2014-01-08, 01:39 AM
we house rule 2 extra skill points per level around my table, give u a few more realistic options with where to put points

we don't do PF, but have considered the stealth and perception skills to modify our skills list, we are still in the arguing phase about it

we also give 4 free ranks in knowledge local, your home region or city, and its always a class skill, for your home region or city, the simple fact is, you know where you grew up, the roads, the big employers, the schools, the local government buildings, sum of the history, monuments etc

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-08, 02:43 AM
I didn't think it would break anything, but then, I didn't notice how awesome Cloudy Conjuration is, either...

Devronq
2014-01-08, 03:43 AM
I use stealth athletics, acrobatics and perception. I didn't exactly give +2 but everyone has min 4

Gemini476
2014-01-08, 04:10 AM
While I do recommend using the PF skill list, I'd also suggest combining Knowledge(Arcana) and Spellcraft. And the same for their psionic equivalents.
Mostly because it doesn't make much sense to have them separate although I suppose it does give more classes Knowledge(Arcana) and is effectively +1 Skill Point for classes who had both.

Heliomance
2014-01-08, 09:24 AM
I have a tendency to give all classes +50% skill points. Fighters get 3+INT, Clerics get 6+INT, Bards get 9+INT, Rogues get 12+INT. Yes, Changeling Rogues get an enormous 15+INT.

Kudaku
2014-01-08, 10:04 AM
Though I agree that the original spread of skills (Listen? seriously?) was overboard I find that Perception is a little bit too good in Pathfinder. I'd consider combining Spot and Listen into Perception but leaving Search as is, and making Trapfinding allow the user to use the higher of his wisdom or intelligence modifier for perception and Search.

manyslayer
2014-01-08, 12:55 PM
In my campaign, I use Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, and Stealth. Also, Open Lock is folded into Disable Device.

I particularly like Perception because now I have a skill to roll if I want to see if someone notices that odd scent in the air.

Greenish
2014-01-08, 01:02 PM
I have a tendency to give all classes +50% skill points. Fighters get 3+INT, Clerics get 6+INT, Bards get 9+INT, Rogues get 12+INT. Yes, Changeling Rogues get an enormous 15+INT.Why'd you boost Cleric skills more than Fighter?

Heliomance
2014-01-08, 01:18 PM
Why'd you boost Cleric skills more than Fighter?

Because I was quoting skill points off the top of my head, and thought Clerics got a base of 4+INT skill points. Do they not?

Karnith
2014-01-08, 02:11 PM
Because I was quoting skill points off the top of my head, and thought Clerics got a base of 4+INT skill points. Do they not?
Default Clerics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) get 2+Int bonus skill points per level.

OldTrees1
2014-01-08, 02:17 PM
Fix the skill lists while you are at it. There is no reason* for Spot to ever be a cross class skill.

*Except for a racial class of a blind race like Grimlock

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:17 PM
Because I was quoting skill points off the top of my head, and thought Clerics got a base of 4+INT skill points. Do they not?Clerics get 2+int, Cloistered Clerics get 6+int, I guess it does average out. :smalltongue:

Skysaber
2014-01-08, 04:17 PM
For years my group has doubled all feats and skill points. We've had many players over that time, and none has had anything but praise for it.

Since we do it for monsters, too, that give DM license to add at least Spot and Listen onto monsters that deserve it.

G.Cube
2014-01-08, 04:31 PM
In PF, is Sleight of Hand also mixed into Stealth? If not, any repercussions for adding it to there?

HylianKnight
2014-01-08, 06:00 PM
Perception is the one I critique when it comes to Pathfinder. The issue is that individually spot and search and listen are some of the most useful skills in the game. In any Pathfinder if I had to guess I would say that Perception is rolled more than all the others combined. But thats just my own nitpick of game-flow around the table, there is zilch to worry about in terms of balance.

Kudaku
2014-01-08, 09:08 PM
In PF, is Sleight of Hand also mixed into Stealth? If not, any repercussions for adding it to there?

PF kept Sleight of Hand and Stealth (which combines Hide and Move Silently) separate. I don't really see any huge drawbacks in combining them, though IMO Stealth is already one of the better skills available.

Ravens_cry
2014-01-08, 10:12 PM
So i am contemplating giving all classes +2 skill points. Also, I am thinking of stealing the perception and stealth idea from PF, and having all classes add perception to there skill lists.

Intelligence based casters don't need it, but otherwise I heartily approve of the first at least. The last hurts Sneakers a faor bit though. Maybe give it to some melee types likely to stand guard, but not everyone.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-09, 06:44 AM
I was thinking about how every class (and monster, for that matter) having perception being unfair to the snekky types, but they usually have the stealth skill way up there. And now that it is a single skill, they have more to spread around other skills, too. So, seems like a fair trade off.

I agree to a degree that int based casters don't need more skill points, but it makes sense to me. After all, they are the ones who have spent years in school learning the craft. It even backs that up in the starting age table. So, thematically, at least, I think they should have more skills then other classes.

I can see your prob with Perception, HylianKnight, but then Manyslayer made a good point: what do you have the players roll to notice an odor? Now, you have something.
In general, I see this giving the skill monkeys a bigger boost then others, but thats OK. Acrobatics, Stealth, and Perception. 3 skills instead of 7. (or is it 8?) I like that. But then, I like to give my players more options.

Heliomance
2014-01-09, 06:54 AM
I can see your prob with Perception, HylianKnight, but then Manyslayer made a good point: what do you have the players roll to notice an odor?

I go with Survival, mostly.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-09, 07:09 AM
I go with Survival, mostly.That works, I suppose, but its a bit vague. Perception is not vague at all, though.