PDA

View Full Version : Animal companion question. Aberrations?

Zeik
2014-01-08, 12:33 AM
I am currently building a druid that has a total focus on wild shaping into aberrations. Im.trying to have him be all about cthulhu type creatures which leads me to my question. Is it possible to get a aberration as a animal companion? Are there any feats or even PrC that allow that? Ive been looking around but i cant really find anything. Almost any supplements would be ok. Thanks

Vizzerdrix
2014-01-08, 03:09 AM
Yup. One of the Dragon mags has a feat that'll let you do this.

Eberron has a few too.

One moment. I'll find the drag mag #

Here it is! Monstrous Animal Companion- issue/page 326(32)

geekintheground
2014-01-08, 03:10 AM
i dont think so. you could have your AC take a feat that TURNS it into an aberration though...

Zeik
2014-01-08, 01:43 PM
Thanks that helps alot. I currrently have a lion as my companion but im a sucker for keeping everything thematically appropriate.

Red Fel
2014-01-08, 01:58 PM
You could maybe refluff Alienist PrC to apply the pseudonatural template to animal companions instead of familiars, but that Wis penalty would hurt a Druid.

Also, you'd have to take the Alienist PrC.

Ramza00
2014-01-08, 02:06 PM
What aberration would you like to have as a companion a name and a pact would be nice.

Zeik
2014-01-08, 02:12 PM
Which ones i really dont know because i didnt think i could so i wastnt really being picky. I just kinda wanted something that looks like i came out of a lovecraft horror story. Like a gibbering mouther would be kinda funny

Urpriest
2014-01-08, 02:56 PM
Which ones i really dont know because i didnt think i could so i wastnt really being picky. I just kinda wanted something that looks like i came out of a lovecraft horror story. Like a gibbering mouther would be kinda funny

There are a few Vermin with that sort of look, so Vermin Companion might be a reasonable choice. Some of the weirder Dinosaurs could also work.

Zeik
2014-01-08, 03:17 PM
i dont think so. you could have your AC take a feat that TURNS it into an aberration though...

Does anyone know what feat this is?

Vizzerdrix
2014-01-08, 03:47 PM
They may have been referring to the aberrant feats, but those are humanoid only.

The feat I mentioned allows you to get a bunch of stuff. Here are just a few

Celestial owl, darkmantle, fiendish raven, giant fir beetle, stirge, Grick, displacer beast, manticore, Digester, grey render, hydra, and Behir.

Red Fel
2014-01-08, 03:49 PM
On the one hand, the Pseudonatural template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm), the poster child for Lovecraftian horrors, can be applied to "any corporeal creature." On the other hand, it lacks an LA, meaning that you can't slap it on a player (except via class features that let you do stuff like that). But nothing would stop you from putting it on an animal companion... Except your DM.

Urpriest
2014-01-08, 03:50 PM
On the one hand, the Pseudonatural template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm), the poster child for Lovecraftian horrors, can be applied to "any corporeal creature." On the other hand, it lacks an LA, meaning that you can't slap it on a player (except via class features that let you do stuff like that). But nothing would stop you from putting it on an animal companion... Except your DM.

You can't put it on an animal companion for the same reason you can't put Paragon on an animal companion: it's not on the list of choices.

Red Fel
2014-01-08, 03:52 PM
You can't put it on an animal companion for the same reason you can't put Paragon on an animal companion: it's not on the list of choices.

Well, yeah, if you want to rob me of my fun.

But like I suggested above, if you're willing to take the Wis penalty that comes from Alienist, I think you could refluff that PrC to work on an animal companion instead of a familiar. Admittedly, that's close to homebrewing or houseruling, but still.

Vizzerdrix
2014-01-08, 03:55 PM
No "close to" about it. That IS homebrew.

Urpriest
2014-01-08, 05:45 PM
Well, yeah, if you want to rob me of my fun.

But like I suggested above, if you're willing to take the Wis penalty that comes from Alienist, I think you could refluff that PrC to work on an animal companion instead of a familiar. Admittedly, that's close to homebrewing or houseruling, but still.

Oh wait actually this totally works if you do a few things differently...

Druid 4/Wizard 3/Arcane Hierophant 2/Fleshwarper 1

Your Animal Companion is also your Familiar due to Companion Familiar, and an Aberration due to Fleshwarper. Note that this build relies on a somewhat controversial interpretation of Companion Familiar, namely that it gets modified like a familiar would by PrCs, which is not strictly supported in the text.