PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Exalted Resistance VS Spell Resistance

MobiusHero
2014-01-08, 12:52 AM
I was reading through this website. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races) When I noticed that in the Aasimar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar) racial page as a variant racial trait you could take Exalted Resistance (in place of celestial resistance) which it says gives you 5+lvl spell resistance vs evil spells and spell like abilities. Whereas in the aforementioned website Exalted Resistance gives 6+lvl Spell resistance vs evil. which is correct?

Also, further on it lists Spell Resistance, Lesser as being 2 RP and giving 6+lvl SR VS all spells. and Spell Resistance, Greater as being the same price as Exalted Resistance and giving an even better 11+lvl SR VS all spells.

Why is Exalted Resistance so crappy for the same price as Spell Resistance, Greater?

Edit: I also just noticed that Heavenborn(3RP) replaces Spell Like Ability, Greater(3RP) AND The +2 to Diplomacy and Perception traits(4RP) for Aasimars, which means they are trading 7RP for 3RP. Why are the stats for Aasimars so wonky?

Snowbluff
2014-01-08, 01:47 AM
Oh, RP? The entire system is wrecked from the ground up. Don't worry about it too much. I don't think the alternate traits were written with the terrible RP system in mind.

MobiusHero
2014-01-08, 01:53 AM
Oh, well... that is what we based our characters power on... We have a Gnome, a Dwarf and an Aasimar... which technically are 10 11 and 15 RP, I had to give the Aasimar a -2 Wis and remove the Outsider Native type to get it equal to the rest. then i noticed the crappyness of Exalted resistance as compared to Spell resistance Lesser/greater...

How would you recommend i resolve this issue?

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:07 AM
Don't sweat the RP, they're not that good a balance mechanism (and the designers liked to fudge them too, for example, to get dwarves down to 11 RP).

Anyway, Exalted Resistance has the advantage that it won't block the buffs and heals your party tosses your way, while hindering enemies' spells (assuming you're a Good party fighting Evil enemies, of course).

Vanitas
2014-01-08, 02:15 AM
How would you recommend i resolve this issue?
Ignore RP?

MobiusHero
2014-01-08, 02:16 AM
Actually out of the first 10 sessions we played between DND 3.5 and PF we only ever had combat with Evil maybe once. Thankfully that has started to be a little more common now.

Anyway, basically RP is dumb and i should feel dumb for using it? :smalltongue: