PDA

View Full Version : For a Wizard, is Half-Giant+Primordial Giant or Aleithian Dwarf the better way to go?

AnonymousPepper
2014-01-08, 01:48 AM
Assuming LA buyoffs are a thing, for an optimized build, which would be superior?

Half-Giant(LA1) + Primordial Giant(LA0)(Secrets of Xen'drik) yields:

-2STR -2DEX +4INT +4CHA
30ft speed, size M
Giant sub-type
Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, or Levitate 1/day as spell-like
Immunity to humanoid-specific spells (i.e. Charm Person)
Low-light vision
Free proficiency in light armor, medium armor, shields (except tower), simple weapons, and martial weapons
Ignores oversized weapons penalty for weapons one size larger
+2 saving throws versus fire effects and spells
Large-size boni to grapples, etc.
Stomp (psionic power) 1/day + 2PP

Bearing in mind, of course, that the Arctic template can be taken rather easily to make it -2STR -2DEX +2CON +4INT +2CHA.

Aleithian Dwarf(LA0)(Wizards website), on the other hand, yields:

+2 INT, +2 CON, -4CHA
20ft speed, size M
90ft Darkvision
Stonecunning
Dwarven armor encumbrance benefit
+2 racial will save bonus vs psionics (presumably against spells as well via transparency?)
+2 racial fort save bonus vs poison
+2 racial bonus to craft checks with metal, stone, and crystal
Bright light sensitivity (-1 to saves, attack rolls, and checks in bright light)
3/day psionics - Ectoplasmic Repair, Finger of Fire (spell-like)
3/day attack/defense modes - Ego Whip/Empty Mind

OldTrees1
2014-01-08, 02:08 AM
LA 0 is better than LA 1 because it leaves the LA buyoff slot open for a nice LA 1 template.
LA 0: +2 Con, +2 Int is still better than LA 1: +2 Con, +4 Int

AnonymousPepper
2014-01-08, 02:10 AM
Even with the nice additional stuff that half-giants get? Particularly the spell-likes and the invulnerability to Charm Person and the like.

OldTrees1
2014-01-08, 02:14 AM
Even with the nice additional stuff that half-giants get? Particularly the spell-likes and the invulnerability to Charm Person and the like.

The nice additional stuff boils down to a few low level spell slots.
The non humanoid status could be useful against Hold Person but Charm and Dominate are protected by PC status and Protection from Evil respectively.

Kraken
2014-01-08, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I agree with Trees. Level adjustment, in general, is almost never worth it for a caster.

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:21 AM
Primordial Giant's CL for the SLAs is equal to RHD, which you have none. You also have to pick one of them, which you can then cast at will.

If Magical Knack works on them, Invisibility or Levitate at will aren't too bad, even at minimum CL, but your own spells will sooner or later completely eclipse them.

Alethian Dwarf, on the other hand, suffers from low base speed (liability at lowest levels) and seems to be written for 3.0.

OldTrees1
2014-01-08, 02:37 AM
Primordial Giant's CL for the SLAs is equal to RHD, which you have none. You also have to pick one of them, which you can then cast at will.

This made me go check the template. I noticed some redeeming features:
1) It has Magical Knack (+1 caster level to)
2) Its single spell like ability is At Will (cl = RHD+1 from Magical Knack)

I still do not think it is worth the LA +1 entry you are using.

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:43 AM
1) It has Magical Knack (+1 caster level to)
2) Its single spell like ability is At Will (cl = RHD+1 from Magical Knack)You don't say? :smallamused:

OldTrees1
2014-01-08, 11:18 AM
You don't say? :smallamused:

Sorry, I thought I was clarifying your comment about Magical Knack. I also expected to find more things but didn't. (I had LA 0 listed until I realized it was the entry that had the LA 1.)

Urpriest
2014-01-08, 11:59 AM
It probably depends on how you're updating Alethian Dwarf, since the one you listed is 3.0 psionics.