PDA

View Full Version : Belgariad DnD

Lvl45DM!
2014-01-08, 01:52 AM
So I'm playing a game currently based on the Belgariad series in terms of geography but more DnD-esque, with different races standing in for the various nationalities from the books. If you've read them then hears a quick run down: Dragonborn live in Riva, Dwarves in Cherek, Halflings in Drasnia, Yuan-ti in Nyssia. Ulgo has gnomes and Deep gnomes and Mallorea has most of the weirder monster races. Murgos has the Orcs and Thulls are goblins and kobolds.

If you haven't read them don't worry. Theres 3 bad nations, called Cthol Murgos, Mishrak ak Thul and Gar og Nadrak. In the books they are populated by the Murgos the Thulls and the Nadraks. The Murgos are a violent warlike race of little imagination and great religious fanaticism, but smart enough to pose as Merchants when the time calls for it. Thulls are complete morons and cowards.

But the Nadraks are clever, mercenary and above all self interested. They are largely merchants, gold miners and hunters, with many thieves and drunks. They are allied with the bad guys, but only cos they kinda have to be. Gar og Nadrak is mostly forest and mountains, quite cold. http://davideddings.wikia.com/wiki/Gar_og_Nadrak
http://davideddings.wikia.com/wiki/Nadrak

My question is this: Is there a usually evil race, or at least an inhuman and scary race that is known to be merchants and aren't complete monsters? Something not very strong, under 3 HD? Im racking my brain and cannot think of anything

LibraryOgre
2014-01-08, 02:35 AM
Hobgoblins are LE, 1+1 HD creatures that can do the mercenary thing pretty well. Personally, I'd be more inclined to make the Murgos (with their insane militarization) Hobgoblins, Thulls orcs (stupid and strong), and Nadraks Goblins, which fits their society a bit better. You could then call Malloreans Bugbears, making them, well, the bugbear of the Belgariad setting.

holywhippet
2014-01-08, 04:30 AM
You could have tieflings working on the behalf of the devils maybe?

You could maybe refluff Rakshasa a bit to suit, but they are likely too strong for what you want.

Drow can be mercenary by nature and might be willing to do trade.

LibraryOgre
2014-01-08, 12:27 PM
You could have tieflings working on the behalf of the devils maybe?

You could maybe refluff Rakshasa a bit to suit, but they are likely too strong for what you want.

Drow can be mercenary by nature and might be willing to do trade.

Tieflings would make sense with the Morindim.

Airk
2014-01-08, 01:28 PM
Hobgoblins are LE, 1+1 HD creatures that can do the mercenary thing pretty well. Personally, I'd be more inclined to make the Murgos (with their insane militarization) Hobgoblins, Thulls orcs (stupid and strong), and Nadraks Goblins, which fits their society a bit better. You could then call Malloreans Bugbears, making them, well, the bugbear of the Belgariad setting.

This seems like a very rational breakdown to me.

Dienekes
2014-01-08, 02:01 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure about Mallorean Bugbears. It's been ages since I read the books but I thought Malloreans weren't as strong and warlike as the Murgos there biggest advantage was the fact that they covered an entire continent that was also filled with nearly as diverse a population as the main continent explored in the Belgariad.

Honestly Bugbear stats remind me more of the Cherek, just replace +4 to Move Silently, to +4 Profession (Pirate).

Though on that topic, I'd suggest editing the stats of all the base races to fit with the story better. Thuls as Orcs work rather well as is. Change Hobgoblins +2 from Dex to Str, and the +4 bonus to Intimidate. Give Dwarves some bonus to boats. Elves could be Algars if you give them a +2 to Ride somewhere. And so on.

LibraryOgre
2014-01-08, 02:32 PM
Yeah, the bugbears-as-Malloreans doesn't work terribly well BUT, IMO, nor do most of the "Assign X Race to Y Nationality"; heck, by the OP, Garion would be Half-Dragonborn, Half (whatever he goes with for Algars), which I think would be a bit noticeable.

Lvl45DM!
2014-01-09, 08:20 PM
Yeah, the bugbears-as-Malloreans doesn't work terribly well BUT, IMO, nor do most of the "Assign X Race to Y Nationality"; heck, by the OP, Garion would be Half-Dragonborn, Half (whatever he goes with for Algars), which I think would be a bit noticeable.

There are Humans in every country as well, in fact mostly they all are human. Its just the ancestral homes for the races really. If you're a dwarf you must come from Cherek. Algars have centaurs :P