PDA

View Full Version : Jaunter?!

GutterFace
2014-01-08, 12:07 PM
Thanks to the obscura over at D&D tools i stumbled onto this class.

anyone have any good build advice for me? i am a man who loves his Transposition effects

obviously i will have a very high Dex and a very good Int, so probably a Rogue as a good start? i want to avoid any other kinds of spellcasting if possible.

help me build!

Nightraiderx
2014-01-08, 12:44 PM
just gonna say that if you take the martial monk ACF you can technically get into Jaunter at level 2 I believe by making spring attack one of your monk feats,
I could see teflammar shadow lord mesh with it well. Not sure what you are going for.

GutterFace
2014-01-08, 12:52 PM
i was going for anything at this point, so thank you. pretty much anything without casting.

this is the idea compilation stage. so thank you

nedz
2014-01-08, 01:01 PM
Monk would work well with the Sun School feat (CWar p112)
Nice bamf tripper perhaps ?

GutterFace
2014-01-08, 02:07 PM
Adding more Questions:

see this entry for the class. does this mean i can use magic items (wands, scrolls, etc) even if my base class(s) were not able to?

"Travel Power (Sp): You have the innate ability to relocate creatures—yourself, your allies, and eventually even your enemies. You can use your travel power a number of times per day equal to your jaunter level plus your Dexterity bonus (if any). As long as you have at least one daily use of your travel power remaining, you also gain a +1 bonus to your Armor Class.
Your travel powers are benign transposition, baleful transposition, teleport, and plane shift. Each of these abilities is described in a separate entry below. In addition, once you gain the travel power at 1st level, you can use scrolls and spell completion items that duplicate any of these powers."

Secondly: no where in the class entry does it say how much time it takes to activate Travel Power.....unless i missed it. can someone clarify?

GutterFace
2014-01-08, 02:22 PM
annnnd found it, sort of, to part 2

supernatural ability
Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance. Supernatural abilities cannot be dispelled. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise and generally does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature's Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is 10 + 1/2 the creature's HD + the creature's ability modifier (usually Charisma).

though my first question needs clarification

Keld Denar
2014-01-08, 03:23 PM
It would appear so, that a 1st level Jaunter could pick up a scroll of Plane Shift and use it unerringly.

Namfuak
2014-01-08, 03:44 PM
It would appear so, that a 1st level Jaunter could pick up a scroll of Plane Shift and use it unerringly.

Based on the description in D&D Tools, the spells are only spell-like abilities, they aren't class spells, so they would not allow you to cast them from a wand without using UMD. However, I could be forgetting something or the actual class could be printed differently.

GutterFace
2014-01-08, 04:03 PM

which would be amazingly fun.

Petrocorus
2014-01-08, 04:10 PM
Swordsage with the Shadow Jaunt line of manoeuvers can be a good entry to jaunters.

GutterFace
2014-01-08, 04:27 PM
Swordsage with the Shadow Jaut line of manoeuvers can be a good entry to jaunters.

ahhh also a very nice idea!

Nightraiderx
2014-01-08, 09:06 PM
Jaunters don't need anything but the spring attack line, a human with one level of planar martial monk can enter at lvl 2. So Monk 1/Jaunter 4/Swordsage 5/Teflammar Shadow Lord 6

You have Sneak attack, shadow hand jaunts, shadow blade to compliment your high dex. Two sources of Dimension type door.

I think your class abilities are SLA's so looking into quicken SLA feat would help.

GutterFace
2014-01-08, 10:49 PM
Jaunters don't need anything but the spring attack line, a human with one level of planar martial monk can enter at lvl 2. So Monk 1/Jaunter 4/Swordsage 5/Teflammar Shadow Lord 6

You have Sneak attack, shadow hand jaunts, shadow blade to compliment your high dex. Two sources of Dimension type door.

I think your class abilities are SLA's so looking into quicken SLA feat would help.

all excellent points :) i love the advice thanks

CyberThread
2014-01-08, 11:37 PM
What is this madness! No I say ! No!

human monk 1/ Jaunter 4/ wayfarer guide 3

nedz
2014-01-08, 11:54 PM
What is this madness! No I say ! No!

human monk 1/ Jaunter 4/ wayfarer guide 3

In that case they would qualify for Dimensional Jaunt at level 4
Now that's Bamfing madness.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-08, 11:56 PM
Doesn't Wayfarer guide requires and advances casting?

CyberThread
2014-01-08, 11:59 PM
am just going by raw

After gaining all the abilities you can as a jaunter, you might
want to consider going back to the class you were pursuing
before you decided to focus on travel. Alternatively, the path
of the shadowdancer, which offers the ability to fl it in and out
of the Plane of Shadow, might appeal to you. Or, if you have
spellcasting abilities, you might want to become a wayfarer
guide (Complete Arcane 65), since your teleport travel power
meets the teleport spellcasting prerequisite

WhamBamSam
2014-01-09, 12:28 AM
Doesn't Wayfarer guide requires and advances casting?It requires you be able to cast Teleport, and a SLA is good enough to meet a specific spell prereq per Complete Arcane.

Wayfarer guide also requires 10 ranks of Knowledge (Arcana) and Knowledge (Geography) though, so you won't be able to enter without two more levels, which might as well get you some spellcasting to progress, unless you have a 9th level Bard and 7th level Psion handy to help you break the skill cap.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-09, 01:54 AM
Gray Elf Martial Monk 2 (even if flaws are allowed, because then you pick up Weapon Supremacy instead of one of the Spring Attack line)/ Jaunter 4/ Factotum 3/ Telflamer Shadowlord 4/ Factotum 5/ Ardent 2

Once you take Ardent (which you can move earlier if you want 9th level powers before 20th level) get access to Embrace and Shun the Dark Chaos then shuffle off Dodge for Midnight Dodge and pick up Midnight Augmentation: Bestow Power as with both of your essentia invested in it you have unlimited daily power points.

Pick up the various psionic teleport type powers (the Planes Mantle has a lot of them) and perhaps some relevant spells as powers thanks to Psychic Chiguery and a Spell to Power Erudite.

Bind the Strongheart Vest (gained from Shape Soulmeld feat) and use the Ritual of Shadow Walking (Lords of Darkness page 125) for 100 foot at will standard action teleport at no cost as the Strongheart Vest negates the Con damage.

Telflammar Shadowlord 4 + Factotum 8 + Ritual of Shadow Walking + Strongheart Vest with one essentia invested in it is pretty much Nightcrawler. And it can pull off 12 plus full attacks in the surprise round potentially.

For extra hilarious fun combine with Decisive Strike monk variant, Snap Kick, and Two Weapon Fighting. How would you like 70 attack rolls in one round? Sure most of them only hit on a natural 20 thanks to Snap Kick and its stacking penalty (you might want to drop it, numbers wise you are usually better off doing so) but you get to roll all the dice.

Combine with Shadowblade, Craven, a Collision Weapon, and Burning Blade. You can pretty much outdamage an ubercharger and you actually get to make use of your abilities more often. Note that this only works if your DM rules that the Ritual of Shadow Walking has the teleport descriptor. If he rules otherwise then you need something like Dimension Hop but that can be handled through Ardent.

Crake
2014-01-09, 03:48 AM
Note that this only works if your DM rules that the Ritual of Shadow Walking has the teleport descriptor. If he rules otherwise then you need something like Dimension Hop but that can be handled through Ardent.

If he rules it doesn't have the teleport descriptor, then its still sweet, dimensional anchor ignoring teleportation!

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-09, 05:09 AM
If he rules it doesn't have the teleport descriptor, then its still sweet, dimensional anchor ignoring teleportation!

Yes, it is sweet either way, just for different reasons.

GutterFace
2014-01-09, 07:36 AM
Gray Elf Martial Monk 2 (even if flaws are allowed, because then you pick up Weapon Supremacy instead of one of the Spring Attack line)/ Jaunter 4/ Factotum 3/ Telflamer Shadowlord 4/ Factotum 5/ Ardent 2

Once you take Ardent (which you can move earlier if you want 9th level powers before 20th level) get access to Embrace and Shun the Dark Chaos then shuffle off Dodge for Midnight Dodge and pick up Midnight Augmentation: Bestow Power as with both of your essentia invested in it you have unlimited daily power points.

Pick up the various psionic teleport type powers (the Planes Mantle has a lot of them) and perhaps some relevant spells as powers thanks to Psychic Chiguery and a Spell to Power Erudite.

Bind the Strongheart Vest (gained from Shape Soulmeld feat) and use the Ritual of Shadow Walking (Lords of Darkness page 125) for 100 foot at will standard action teleport at no cost as the Strongheart Vest negates the Con damage.

Telflammar Shadowlord 4 + Factotum 8 + Ritual of Shadow Walking + Strongheart Vest with one essentia invested in it is pretty much Nightcrawler. And it can pull off 12 plus full attacks in the surprise round potentially.

For extra hilarious fun combine with Decisive Strike monk variant, Snap Kick, and Two Weapon Fighting. How would you like 70 attack rolls in one round? Sure most of them only hit on a natural 20 thanks to Snap Kick and its stacking penalty (you might want to drop it, numbers wise you are usually better off doing so) but you get to roll all the dice.

Combine with Shadowblade, Craven, a Collision Weapon, and Burning Blade. You can pretty much outdamage an ubercharger and you actually get to make use of your abilities more often. Note that this only works if your DM rules that the Ritual of Shadow Walking has the teleport descriptor. If he rules otherwise then you need something like Dimension Hop but that can be handled through Ardent.

You're a madman, and i love it. i haven't seen anyone suggest snap kick in a long time

GutterFace
2014-01-09, 08:09 AM
Also i dont have a source for Martial Monk.....where is it?

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-09, 08:26 AM
Also i dont have a source for Martial Monk.....where is it?

Dragon #310.

Nightraiderx
2014-01-09, 08:31 AM
Snap Kick is awesome. I had a gestalt 3.P fighter/monk that used TWF and snap kick to trip, attack three times in an AoO they fall prone and Stomp on them for good measure. I think it was like 9 Attacks in a round using 3 AoO's
on one opponent. The nice thing about Snap kick is that it can be activated at any time you use two or more attacks, so it makes things like dual strike and tigerclaw manuevers get the extra hit it.

GutterFace
2014-01-09, 03:00 PM
Tippy -

can you explain how the Martial Monk works to get me into Jaunter at level 2?

i got a copy of #310 but it doesn't make a ton of sense in my tiny D&D brain

CyberThread
2014-01-09, 03:48 PM
Two monk feats and one 1st level great give you access to the pre requires.

Martial monks get the feats by magic and do not have to meet pre requirments

GutterFace
2014-01-09, 04:12 PM
Two monk feats and one 1st level great give you access to the pre requires.

Martial monks get the feats by magic and do not have to meet pre requirments

Sweet Baby Tippy that's amazing.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-09, 04:19 PM
Sweet Baby Tippy that's amazing.

Do note it can be extremely cheesy depending on which feat you get. For example getting spring attack early is pretty ok, it is a fairly weak feat, but say Weapon Supremacy at level 1? No way that will fly on many tables.

nedz
2014-01-09, 05:41 PM
You can enter it at level 6 by SRD
Cobra Strike Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cobraStrike) 2 / X2 / Fighter
Where X is a full BAB class.
The hard part is getting the BAB pre-req for Spring Attack

GutterFace
2014-01-09, 06:30 PM
New plan was for Martial Monk 1 (for feats ill never use) and Totemist 2 for Blink shirt (totem bind) then go into Jaunter with a crap load of DEX/INT and Dim Door and Benign/Baleful everything-everywhere!

Zombulian
2014-01-09, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately Blink Shirt is kinda meh for builds like this because of the clause that says that you can't take any more actions that round after using it.

GutterFace
2014-01-09, 06:52 PM
Interesting.....even when it says i can use it as a move action im still locked out of a standard action?

Zombulian
2014-01-09, 06:59 PM
Interesting.....even when it says i can use it as a move action im still locked out of a standard action?

Yup. Bummerific. I tried playing a Totemist/Ardent/Soul Manifester once and planned on using hustle with the shirt to get lots of teleporting goodness, but that rule killed the build :/

edit: for reference,
After using this ability, you can't take any other actions until your next turn.

GutterFace
2014-01-09, 07:06 PM
well that settles it then, thank you for the clarification.

GaugeDanger
2014-09-18, 02:37 PM
I'm currently running a nightcrawler-esque Jaunter here's my build at level 11
I went rogue to swashbuckler to get my prereqs and took a level of fighter to get an extra SA die. The character is a tiefling.

Level 1 Rogue Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding, Flaw - Unresponsive -6 to init:Two weapon fighting
Level 2 Fighter Stealthy (+1d6 SA), Planar Fighter, Drow Fighter (+2 init, Dex to Dmg against flat-footed enemies)
Level 3 Swash Weapon Finesse
Level 4 Swash Grace +1
Level 5 Swash Insightful Strike (Int to Dmg)
Level 6 Swash
Level 7 Swash Dodge Bonus +1
Level 8 Jaunter Benign Transportation
Level 9 Jaunter MV +10ft, Baleful Transpostion
Level 10 Jaunter Teleport
Level 11 Jaunter Freedom of Movement (8rds/day), Dimensional Door (120ft)

the character is awesome, he can bounce around for a ton of damage and I have balanced hand gloves for extra off hand attacks as if i had improved two weapon fighting feat. I'm using two +1 keen cutlasses with hideaway. oh and I took a homebrew flaw to lose my racial darkvision in exchange for a prehensile tail!

I'm going to take the Shadow Pounce feat at my next level and then the fun really starts!