PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder variants

Angelalex242
2014-01-08, 02:02 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar

On this page is a list of randomly rolled replacement abilities for aasimar.

If one didn't have to roll, and could cherry pick any one (or 2!) of them, which would be the most optimized to pick?

Snowbluff
2014-01-08, 02:07 PM
Talons are pretty handy. After that, a +2 bonus to your stat for the grand total of 4 is pretty good.

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:13 PM
The stat bonuses, or the free Raise Deads at lower levels (though the latter have limited uses, how often are you planning on dying?). The CMD boost and the Initiative boost are also good, though the latter is conditional. The claws might also be quite useful for certain builds, I imagine.

From a wish-fulfillment perspective, the innate bug-repellent one is something I'd personally love to have. Not very optimized, though.

[Edit]: Oh, and the fly speed, even if slow and poor maneuverability, is pretty sweet at lower levels. Higher levels you probably have better options.

Angelalex242
2014-01-08, 02:22 PM
Would the spell resistance pull its weight?

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:27 PM
SR is a two-bladed sword (the proverbial one, not the exotic weapon). It can stop hostile spells, but it can also stop buffs and heals from friendly casters. 10+level means it works about 45% of the time against even level casters, which isn't too bad.

Angelalex242
2014-01-08, 02:31 PM
72 You gain spell resistance equal to 10 + 1/2 your Hit Dice.

Sadly, it's not that good. It's only 1/2 Hit Dice.

I thought you could just choose to let friendly spells through, though.

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:34 PM
Oh, I misread that. Yeah, 10+1/2 HD isn't going to cut it.

You can't "accept" friendly spells through Spell Resistance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Spell-Resistance). You can lower it willingly, but that takes a standard action, and lasts until your next turn, so it's not very useful in combat.

grarrrg
2014-01-08, 09:52 PM
Would the spell resistance pull its weight?

Due to the scaling:
Low levels, you'd be nigh untouchable.
High levels, next to worthless.

So even if Spell Resistance is something you would want, it wouldn't be worth getting for a high level game.

This right here is the best ability ever:

33 When coins or other small metal objects pass through your hands, they become perfectly clean and shiny again.
HELLZ YEAH!!

Of course, in amongst all of the useful/neutral abilities, there are a few straight up downsides:

47 You feel sick to your stomach and take a –1 penalty on ability checks when within 30 feet of an evil outsider.

There are some that are VERY handy for specific builds/situations, but overall the "+2 Racial to [stat]", and the Fire Resist 5 are probably the best.

Unless you're allowed "shenanigans". Then the best one is whatever Spell Like ability qualifies you into early entry PrC the fastest...

Drachasor
2014-01-08, 09:55 PM
The table is pretty broken in terms of balance. But my DM let me take a minor thing from it just for flavor, so my wizard can sense pregnancy within 10'. I think that sort of thing is probably the best use of it, unless you were going to retool it to replace an appropriate class feature (which the one it does replace isn't necessarily the most appropriate).

grarrrg
2014-01-08, 10:27 PM
The table is pretty broken in terms of balance. But my DM let me take a minor thing from it just for flavor, so my wizard can sense pregnancy within 10'. I think that sort of thing is probably the best use of it, unless you were going to retool it to replace an appropriate class feature (which the one it does replace isn't necessarily the most appropriate).

Well, it's supposed to be a purely random bonus, being allowed to cherry pick was not intended.
And _if_ allowed to cherry pick, the "get 2 bonuses" ability should NOT be an option.

Alleran
2014-01-08, 10:36 PM
And _if_ allowed to cherry pick, the "get 2 bonuses" ability should NOT be an option.
Rolling 100 followed by the +2 racial stat boost twice, if you pick the heritage that already gives +2 to a primary stat, is a little bit out there (there isn't anything saying you can't get the same thing a second time). You'd end up with, say, a Peri-blooded wizard who has a +6 racial boost to INT. Or a regular-blooded aasimar sorcerer with +6 CHA. At low levels, that's very good. Higher levels not quite as much, but still.

Drachasor
2014-01-08, 10:44 PM
Well, it's supposed to be a purely random bonus, being allowed to cherry pick was not intended.

Random brokenness is still broken.

Angelalex242
2014-01-09, 12:57 AM
Well, it does replace the Aasimar's spell like ability, whatever that was. So even if they do get +2 to two relevant stats in place of it, it's still the replacement of a racial feature.

Drachasor
2014-01-09, 04:39 AM
Well, it does replace the Aasimar's spell like ability, whatever that was. So even if they do get +2 to two relevant stats in place of it, it's still the replacement of a racial feature.

Again, +2 to two class stats is much better than Daylight 1/day (or whatever alternate feature you have). Unless you are going to Prestige early. To say nothing of all the junk there which is equally bad.