PDA

View Full Version : PrC for a Scout?

Kimi
2007-01-21, 08:38 AM
Are there any decent Prestige Classes for the Scout that don't change the character's role too much? It seems to me like every PrC the Scout could easily qualify for either drops lots of skill points or don't have the right ones, or start focusing one something else. Is taking more levels in Scout the only answer? :smalltongue:

Darkshade
2007-01-21, 08:43 AM
i like the Scout Dervish combination but i dont think its what your looking for

highland stalker maybe?

Grizzled Gryphon
2007-01-21, 08:55 AM
From what I can recall at the moment, Highland stalker is right up your alley.

However, something to consider. Most of the Prc's for the rogue give progression for the sneak attack. Hwever, these classes came out before the Scout. As all the newest books that have Prc's for the rogue types now say that they have a progression for Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, and Skirmish, it is safe to assume that is inteneded for the old classes, too. Perhaps your DM will agree. I am a DM, and I have already allowed this.

However, the new classes are basically Caster/ Rogue mixes, so they don't really work for you. Unless you have levels in some caster classes, then I would suggest looking at the Complete Mage book.

Here is another nice class http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6 It may not be what you want, as it gives sudden strike instead of skirmish, but never the less...

Hope this helps.

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-21, 09:01 AM
Scout/Ranger/Dervish/Highland Stalker is a good build. Ranger is there to pick up Track. You can substitute any other Full-Bab feat-granting class.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-21, 09:05 AM
Rogue. Take the feat that allows Rogue/Scout to stack for Skirmish. You'll end up with both, which is pretty prestigious.

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-21, 09:30 AM
oooh. Didn't think of that. be a Catfolk, with Catfolk Pounce. First Turn Charge with TWF. *shudder*

Ikkitosen
2007-01-21, 09:55 AM
oooh. Didn't think of that. be a Catfolk, with Catfolk Pounce. First Turn Charge with TWF. *shudder*

Along with an OoTS-style battle cry: "Two-Weapon Skirmish Sneak Attack - Bitch!" :smallbiggrin:

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-21, 10:00 AM
So rogue stacks for Skimish damage, but does Scout stack for SA damage?

Grizzled Gryphon
2007-01-21, 10:10 AM
No, you get both at the same time. In other words, if you are a 5th level rogue, ad a 5th level scout, you have both at 10th level. I think, anyway...

Actually, do it this way, Rogue 9/Scout 1, and then you would have both at 10th. In the previous example, you would have sneak attack at 5th, but skirmish at 10th.

Right?

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-21, 10:11 AM
pwnage. I want CS now. but I have to save my money for SALUTE.......

SacredStorm
2007-01-21, 10:15 AM
Horizon Walker is a fun Prestige Class to take. Your skills go down to 4+INT, but alot of it's terrain mastery make up for that. Also once you hit the planar masteries you can get Resistance against a number of elements and the ability to cast Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds. Don't forget it has full BAB!

I thoroughly love playing that PrC!

Kurobara
2007-01-21, 12:16 PM
Nightsong Infiltrator might be an interesting direction to go in, especially if you're concerned with keeping your skill points up.

Felan
2007-01-21, 01:00 PM
correct, the rogue and scout levels stack for skirmish, but not for sneak attack... of course, since you're stacking your levels for skirmish, that would let you qualify for improved skirmish, which lets would increase your skirmish damage by 2d6 and your AC by 2 as long as you move 20 feet rather than the usual 10, for your pouncing or dual striking pleasure...

Person_Man
2007-01-21, 01:26 PM
My primary PC for a long time now has been a Kobold Scout. I've play-tested various different versions of him, including Master Thrower and Dervish. My advice is to stick with strait Scout. You're a Skill Monkey. Embrace it. You get plenty of useful Skills, Fast Movement, and useful special abilities that will save your bacon at pivotal times. Don't give those up in a vain attempt to be somewhat better at combat. A Scout build will never be good at combat compared to most other classes. Skirmish damage progression is too slow and their BAB is mediocre. Accept it. Enjoy your niche.

Leon
2007-01-21, 01:40 PM
Peregin Runner for Goliaths is quite good

Ikkitosen
2007-01-21, 02:12 PM
No, you get both at the same time. In other words, if you are a 5th level rogue, ad a 5th level scout, you have both at 10th level. I think, anyway...

Actually, do it this way, Rogue 9/Scout 1, and then you would have both at 10th. In the previous example, you would have sneak attack at 5th, but skirmish at 10th.

Right?

I believe you need skirmish as scout 5 to qualify for the feat, but then my knowledge is based on the feat list, not the actual text so check up on it!

Ramza00
2007-01-21, 03:03 PM
There is also a feat called swift hunter in complete scoundrel. Your skirmish and favored enemies stack between scout and ranger. Additionally you gain the ability to skirmish against your favored enemies even if they are normally immune.

Ramza00
2007-01-21, 03:11 PM
I believe you need skirmish as scout 5 to qualify for the feat, but then my knowledge is based on the feat list, not the actual text so check up on it!
Scout 3 its Skirmish 1d6/+1AC

Ikkitosen
2007-01-21, 03:30 PM
Scout 3 its Skirmish 1d6/+1AC

Ah yes, you're right. Scout 3 Rogue 1 it is.

Scipio
2007-01-22, 09:18 AM
However, something to consider. Most of the Prc's for the rogue give progression for the sneak attack. Hwever, these classes came out before the Scout. As all the newest books that have Prc's for the rogue types now say that they have a progression for Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, and Skirmish, it is safe to assume that is inteneded for the old classes, too. Perhaps your DM will agree. I am a DM, and I have already allowed this.

I may be misreading your statement, but skirmish does not qualify for sneak attack at all. Sudden Strike can be used interchangeably for Sneak Attack, but Skirmish is a different animal. Complete Scoundrel makes this even more clear.

Darrin
2007-01-22, 11:58 AM
Are there any decent Prestige Classes for the Scout that don't change the character's role too much? It seems to me like every PrC the Scout could easily qualify for either drops lots of skill points or don't have the right ones, or start focusing one something else. Is taking more levels in Scout the only answer? :smalltongue:

Pick up Track or a couple Ranger levels and take Highland Stalker for two levels. Then get into Warblade (Tome of Battle base class) and get the "Press the Advantage" stance ASAP (gives you two 5' steps for perpetual Skirmish damage).

Horseshoe
2007-01-22, 11:00 PM
Perhaps, for a halfling scout, Rich's "Rockskipping Champion" PrC could be fun when in combat... runnin' around throwin' rocks and such.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-22, 11:22 PM
Anyone else notice that with CS feats you can make a rogue/scout/fighter/swashbuckler/ninja/monk into the single most powerful melee creation that doesn't rely on prestige classes in existence? It means pretty much dedicating all your feats towards it, but it really is amazingly cheap.

jjpickar
2007-01-22, 11:38 PM
Could you elaborate on this awesome combo?:smallbiggrin:

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-22, 11:42 PM
A bunch of the CS feats let certain class abilities grow stronger when you play a certain other class. They are Ascetic Stalker, Daring Outlaw, Daring Warrior, Martial Stalker, Swift Ambusher, and Swift Hunter. Without getting too non-SRD, you can use those to have, say, sneak attack go up every time you not only go up the appropriate rogue levels, but also every time you take a level in scout, ranger, or swashbuckler. So you can keep moving in and out of scout/ranger/swashbuckler after taking a single level of rogue and STILL have the sneak attack of a rogue at that level. Plus there's combos in between those with some of the other mentioned feats to make some of the other class abilities also go up, effectively giving you way, way better abilities then you should have.