PDA

View Full Version : breaking a synthesist

kts362
2014-01-08, 02:24 PM
Hi there long time lurker, first time poster.

So in a week my group is going to be doing a Pathfinder one shot and he pretty much said its going be as ridiculous a dungeon as possible. For this whole thing we are each going to make 1 lvl 20 character and we get 2 million gold.

My question is simply how can I make the most ridiculously OP summoner as possible, which seems to be Synthesist from the sounds of it. I'm open to any tips suggestions and builds. This will also actually be my first time playing Pathfinder, so there's probably tons I'm unaware of.

Barstro
2014-01-08, 02:39 PM
I've never played a Summoner, I've just read the SRD and the guide many, many times.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is to be standard Summoner so that you win on action economy.

My favorite Eidolon is a quadruped with a single bite attack. The L7 Multi-attack ability gives two attacks and Haste makes three. This allows pouncing and a good trip ability. But, the feral-cat approach with multiple claw attacks and rend seems more popular. I don't know if 2,000,000gp is enough to make it a decent weapon wielder instead.

Don't forget that you have SLA to summon Level IX monsters. Pretty sure that gives you a lot of shenanigans you can pull. I'd even consider ignoring your Eidolon and going the Master Summoner path, but I have a feeling that a one-shot might blow through your SLA quickly and then leave you worthless.

Main thing is;
wait for Grarrrg to show up and give you better advice.:smallsmile:

Edit; best way to ruin a Summoner is to knock it unconscious. Pick up the Resilient Eidolon Feat so it doesn't work right away.

Barstro
2014-01-08, 03:06 PM
Summoner is the only class that can use a Lesser Rod of Dazing with Fire Wall for good control. Information that's more useful at lower levels. All it does is save you $20,000gp at your level.

Snowbluff
2014-01-08, 03:13 PM
My suggestion? Max out your size and play a biped. Add on strength and the Natural Armor bonus evolutions. Have your eidolon's armor scaling go towards NA, then cast Mage Armor. Grab as many Arms as you can.

For feats, the dimension jumper feat line would allow your to full attack after using D Door or Maker's Call. Take Multiattack and wield of bunch of great swords with power attack.

Barstro
2014-01-08, 03:30 PM
My suggestion? Max out your size and play a biped.

Make sure you have a way to reduce as well. Giant creatures can have problems getting through doors.

Prime32
2014-01-08, 03:40 PM
My question is simply how can I make the most ridiculously OP summoner as possible, which seems to be Synthesist from the sounds of it.Nah, Synthesist is just more offensive to fighters because it's more obvious if a PC is out-fighting them rather than a pet.

A standard summoner can cast a spell (or rather, cast a spell twice due to Share Spells) and have his eidolon attack things in the same round. A synthesist can only do one or the other, meaning his effectiveness is halved. Sure he has a lot of hp, but that's about it.

Snowbluff
2014-01-08, 03:44 PM
A standard summoner can cast a spell and have his eidolon attack things in the same round. A synthesist can only do one or the other, meaning his effectiveness is halved. Sure he has a lot of hp, but that's about it (and there other ways to do that anyway).

I wouldn't say the summoner's power is halved. That would mean the eidolon is actually as good as the summoner himself. They do competent fighters on the eidolon ability scores alone, which is pretty messed up.

Gazzien
2014-01-08, 07:11 PM
Nah, Synthesist is just more offensive to fighters because it's more obvious if a PC is out-fighting them rather than a pet.

A standard summoner can cast a spell (or rather, cast a spell twice due to Share Spells) and have his eidolon attack things in the same round. A synthesist can only do one or the other, meaning his effectiveness is halved. Sure he has a lot of hp, but that's about it.

You're also (if you're optimizing defense) possessing Immunity to all five elements, SR, See in Darkness / Blindsense, and a bunch of fun (smaller) evolutions (like more arms!!).

The look on a DM's face when a Kineticist can't damage you is priceless.

Feint's End
2014-01-08, 08:02 PM
Not to mention that the standard summoners Eidolon has it's own feats freeing up your feat slots for other things. Synthesists are actually quite weaker than regular summoners.

Other than that just put everything into strength and buy it a +5 tome and a +6 item. Strength should sit around 16 (base) + 8 (base increase) +3 (level) + 5 (inherent) +6 (item) +8 (evolution) +16 (size) giving you 62 strength

Then use claws and one bite to fill up the rest (claws are mainly because they are cheap, have good scaling and have rend)
you got two size increases + 1 virtual from improved natural attack (get that feat) + 1 virtual from the 1 point evolution giving you a size increase of 4 and making your 1d4 a 3d6
If you get the same thing for you bite (probably not worth the evolution points and feats though) you have a 4d6 bite but I'd realistically say it's 2d6 (just 2 size increases)

so you got 6 attacks with full pa (of course ... your to hit is pretty high) and a +5 amulet of mighty fists (or pf equivalent) for:
+15(bab)+26(str)+5(amulet)-4(pa)=42
damage:
6 x 3d6+39
1 x 2d6+39
if you hit with two claws you rend for another 3d6+56 damage

So if all attacks hit (everything with an ac of 43 or lower) you look at an average damage of: 542.5

So there you go. That's pretty much an easy way to get really really high damage on Eidolons. That's not counting in the buffs you could give your Eidolon and all the things the things your Character can do literally in the exact same round your Eidolon smashs everything.