PDA

View Full Version : Combining gestalt and non-gestalt

molten_dragon
2014-01-08, 08:22 PM
I've been considering running a game that includes both gestalt and non-gestalt characters at the player's choice, with the gestalt characters simply being lower level to try and balance things.

How much is enough though? My initial thought was to keep the gestalts 2 levels below the non-gestalts. Too much? Not enough?

jedipilot24
2014-01-08, 08:33 PM
I've been considering running a game that includes both gestalt and non-gestalt characters at the player's choice, with the gestalt characters simply being lower level to try and balance things.

How much is enough though? My initial thought was to keep the gestalts 2 levels below the non-gestalts. Too much? Not enough?

No; the way to mix gestalt and non-gestalt is to use different tier classes.
Here is the (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5293)Tier system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14561498)if you're unaware of it.

Option #2: Partial Gestalt. Tier 1s and 2s are normal. Tier 3s and 4s may gestalt their levels with an NPC class of their choice (Adept, Expert, Commoner, or Warrior). Tier 5s and 6s may gestalt their levels with any other Tier 5 or 6 class of their choice, or Adepts. Result? Again, a healthy power boost for the low Tiers. Suddenly the Rogues can have full BAB and lots of hitpoints, and the Monks can have Fighter powers too. Very handy. Plus, multiclassing works... it's just that if you start as a Fighter//Monk and want to take a level of, say, Ranger, that level must have an NPC class on the other side. If for some reason you wanted Sorcerer, you wouldn't be gestalt at all in that level. Lord knows Fighters get a lot better when they can be Fighter//Monks or Fighter//CA Ninjas or whatever.

Darth Stabber
2014-01-09, 04:10 PM
There was a thread to this effect a week or so back (I am entirely too lazy too look it up), and the end result was every one saying to use either the the tier based gestalts, or to just not mix them.