PDA

View Full Version : Non-item extradimensional storage space

Alleran
2014-01-09, 02:25 AM
I'm poking around for ways and means of getting some sort of personal extradimensional storage space for a character. It needs the following:

1) Extradimensional, preferably large.
2) Be able to store items in it and retrieve them in relatively quick time (preferably a standard action or less, but not much more than a full-round action).
3) Not be an item. If it is an item, then not an item that can be removed from the character (e.g. Gems of Fortification are embedded in the person - so something along those lines).
4) A spell would be very nice, or at least a spell to create it and other spells that could access it.

To explain a little further, I'm experimenting with replicating, or at least coming up with a poor man's version of, the Gate of Babylon possessed by Gilgamesh in Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero. An extradimensional treasury containing wealth that he can access by creating a gate for and withdrawing items from.

So far, I've found the Hoard Gullet spell, which creates an internal second stomach (magical) that can contain up to 100 cubic feet. Problems are that you can't retrieve single items from it, you need to swallow stuff to store it there, and it's non-permanent. There's also a Pathfinder mythic ability called Improbable Prestidigitation that gives you a small extradimensional storage space to keep things in (problem is that it's a mythic ability, for one, you need to take a specific mythic path to get it, for two, and for three it's PF).

Are there any others that the Playground knows of?

Uncle Pine
2014-01-09, 03:11 AM
I'm not familiar with the character you're talking about so I don't know if psionics would fits, but there's a Nomad ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) called Personal Storage. It's an extradimensional storage within your body whose size increases with your level (1st level = belt pouch; 5th level = sack; 10th level = backpack; 15th level = chest; 20th level = Medium creature).
Alternatively, you could play a warforged and attach to yourself a custom item made combining a glove of the master strategy and a handy haversack.

Gemini476
2014-01-09, 03:22 AM
To explain a little further, I'm experimenting with replicating, or at least coming up with a poor man's version of, the Gate of Babylon possessed by Gilgamesh in Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero. An extradimensional treasury containing wealth that he can access by creating a gate for and withdrawing items from.
Quick Draw with one of the alternate Bags of Holding (I think the belt one lets you draw quickly?) and something like Bloodstorm Blade could let you somewhat recreate it, I suppose. You just need to refluff a bit and panic about how many swords you actually need.
Why yes, you do have enough swords.

Otherwise, I think that there might already be a similar spell? For the whole "sword rain" thing, that is, not the "extradimensional treasury holding all of mankind's acheivements" thing. I know that there's a MtG card, but I get the distinct feeling I read some Evocation spell or something.
Eh, who knows.

Are you just trying to emulate his slotless Handy Haversack (x2 cost, move action retrieval), or do you want the whole gatespam thing as well?

Crake
2014-01-09, 03:52 AM
Since foci are subsumed in the cost of making a magical item, a secret chest item would have no need for the focus that's part of it, and would simply be a callable/send away-able chest that you can activate as a standard action. Basically becomes a labile locker from earlier editions.

Kraken
2014-01-09, 03:55 AM
Doesn't meet all the criteria, but hoard gullet from Dragon Magic might be of use to you.

Jeff the Green
2014-01-09, 04:06 AM
I believe a warforged could make a HHH, enveloping pit, or bag of holding an embedded component, thereby making it impossible to remove. Arguably with a DC 25 UMD check anyone could embed and use it.

Avigor
2014-01-09, 04:21 AM
I can't resist submitting my 2 cents:

It's called a Claudication.

Yes, I read Young Wizards. So sue me.

Gemini476
2014-01-09, 04:35 AM
I can't resist submitting my 2 cents:

It's called a Claudication.

Yes, I read Young Wizards. So sue me.

...A limp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudication)?

Drachasor
2014-01-09, 04:35 AM
Well, probably the quick and dirty way is to use a Demi-plane, Planar Ring Gates, and then servants who just hand you whatever you want. Hmm, one would have to look through the books to find the most efficient delivery system here.

Raining Swords at a target is best done with Telekinesis, I think. A Ring of Telekinesis can handle 9 weapons at once. If your DM let you increase the caster level on it then you could go up to 15.

Beyond that you'd have to use Animated Objects or the like (easiest in Pathfinder, since the rules imply you can make one with lots of hit dice if you want).

Hmm, now if there was just some way to temporarily overlap your Demiplane of Swords with whatever Plane you are on.

Gemini476
2014-01-09, 04:40 AM
Hmm, now if there was just some way to temporarily overlap your Demiplane of Swords with whatever Plane you are on.

At that point it's less the Gate of Babylon and more Unlimited Blade Works, though. Similar but different.

I'm also not entirely sure that you could make a demiplane consisting entirely of swords, although you could probably have constructs in a Timeless plane who work the forges eternally while giant cogs clink through the sky. MAybe Planar Bubble could work? I'll need to reread that. As well as Planar Shepherd.

It's a nice idea, though.

Drachasor
2014-01-09, 04:58 AM
At that point it's less the Gate of Babylon and more Unlimited Blade Works, though. Similar but different.

I'm also not entirely sure that you could make a demiplane consisting entirely of swords, although you could probably have constructs in a Timeless plane who work the forges eternally while giant cogs clink through the sky. MAybe Planar Bubble could work? I'll need to reread that. As well as Planar Shepherd.

It's a nice idea, though.

Yeah, it isn't Gilgamesh, but UBW is so much cooler anyhow.

Hmm...if it was Sentient then you might be able to get it to work. That's a morphic trait and hence part of the physical traits Planar Bubble copies. Too bad Planar Bubble is only a 20' radius though. If conjuring the swords was part of that then it would carry over. But I don't think there's any pure RAW way to do this. Hmm, but being Sentient might allow it to prevent people from leaving the area of effect.

Anyhow, a Demiplane is a handy way to store stuff and provides massive area to do so. Hmm, Planar Telepathic Bond would allow your desires to be instantly communicated regarding what item you wanted. Then Teleport Object to the person at the gate and they hand it to you.

So, A Demiplane with a Planar Ring Gates. Teleport Object traps, and constructs you are mentally linked to who are constantly have a readied action to hand you your desired weapon. Bit expensive to set up.

Outside of that a couple of Haversacks will hold a ton of weapons, but that won't look as cool.

Hmm, arguably an Intelligent Bag of Holding could retrieve items from itself.

Alleran
2014-01-09, 05:17 AM
Are you just trying to emulate his slotless Handy Haversack (x2 cost, move action retrieval), or do you want the whole gatespam thing as well?
A little from Column A, a little from Column B. I was hoping to get the extradimensional treasury vault down first before I moved on to the sword-spamming part, but suggestions on that are welcome as well.

Since foci are subsumed in the cost of making a magical item, a secret chest item would have no need for the focus that's part of it, and would simply be a callable/send away-able chest that you can activate as a standard action. Basically becomes a labile locker from earlier editions.
Secret Chest might be possible, but there's also the issue of the item picking up a cumulative 5% chance per day of vanishing after 60 days, unless turning it into a magic item somehow nullifies that aspect. It also makes retrieving items a bit difficult, since it involves summoning it, then needing to open the chest and withdraw the item before sending it away again.

Doesn't meet all the criteria, but hoard gullet from Dragon Magic might be of use to you.
Yeah, I noted it in the opening post. It's useful, but not entirely workable, since you can't selectively retrieve items. It's all or nothing.

There's a Precipitate Complete Breach spell to overlap two planes, but anyway. I did look at using a demiplane, though the problem of items within it being accessible to anybody who figures out a plane shift/gate/wish to the location was in my head (extradimensional storage or things like rope trick are at least less vulnerable to the former two), and it would definitely need constructs to pass stuff through open portals.

Gemini476
2014-01-09, 05:45 AM
A little from Column A, a little from Column B. I was hoping to get the extradimensional treasury vault down first before I moved on to the sword-spamming part, but suggestions on that are welcome as well.
Hmm. Alright. That's a bit of a puzzler, innit.
Until a better solution has been found, I'd suggest just refluffing a damaging spell into the sword rain. Or you could go Eschew Materials+Launch Bolt to shoot giant bolts at people, which is appropriate.

There's a Precipitate Complete Breach spell to overlap two planes, but anyway. I did look at using a demiplane, though the problem of items within it being accessible to anybody who figures out a plane shift/gate/wish to the location was in my head (extradimensional storage or things like rope trick are at least less vulnerable to the former two), and it would definitely need constructs to pass stuff through open portals.
Well then, that spell means that I now have a legitimate way to make Archer. That's pretty great, actually.
He's (tentatively) a Sorcerer 18/Arcane Archer 2, in case you wonder. Although he needs both Planar Breach and Genesis, so... Yeah, I dunno. Arcane caster 18/Arcane Archer 2, anyway.

As for making a storage space... The immediate issue I see with using a demiplane is that it takes more than a round to get something from it. And to use Gate for GoBspam requires you to have some method to fire the swords: remember, Gate breaks LoE.
However, if you have a ballista (or trap of Launch Bolt or whatever), then the projectile will probably continue on its arch through the portal. So that's a way to make it work, I suppose.

Oh, and a thing to remember: Ring Gates only work on the same plane, not to mention the 100 mile limit. You could use them for storage, I suppose, but it's less handy than something like Hevard's Handy Haversack.

Avigor
2014-01-09, 06:05 AM
...A limp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudication)?

Here's what I meant. (http://www.youngwizards.com/ErrantryWiki/index.php/Claudication)

It's a non-D&D book series reference.

Drachasor
2014-01-09, 09:59 PM
Oh, and a thing to remember: Ring Gates only work on the same plane, not to mention the 100 mile limit. You could use them for storage, I suppose, but it's less handy than something like Hevard's Handy Haversack.

Planar Ring Gates are from the Planar Handbook, but they are 200k. They can transfer up to 10k lbs per day though.