PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The ''shaddup'' slap.

Yael
2014-01-09, 02:39 AM
A friend of mine wants to be an ''anti-caster'' on a game we're playing. His idea of a character is of an anti-caster which ''could be a gishy caster'' like the Duskblade and else. He wants to have an specific move that will be triggered when a caster near him starts to cast. He wants to kinda teleport and slap the caster and yell: ''SHADDUP!'' or ''NOPE'' and try to stop the spell. He asked me for help and I though about using Celerity to get in range, but the dazed condition doesn't allow a character to make actions, not sure if AoO's are taking into account, so that's why I ask this.

Is there any way to prevent casters from spellcasting from a distance, teleporting or warping/jumping/running-flashlike to the adjacent square to the enemy caster and be there for an AoO happens so the slap stops the caster?

His idea of spellcasters is that of the ''OMG'' enemies, so he though that he could stop them when they are already casting, so they cannot declare defensive casting because the distance between the caster and the enemies that, if intelligent, the caster will take.

Any way to do it?

The ''nope'' slap could happen? Please?

icefractal
2014-01-09, 02:58 AM
Mage Slayer will handle the "Nope" factor, but they need to be within your threatened area. To do this, there are two paths:

1) Thicket of Blades + Improved Trip. They can't move away, not even by retreating or 5' steps, because they get slapped and knocked down if they try.

2) Make your threatened area really big. With unarmed strikes (as opposed to a reach weapon), this is pretty difficult. I think you can get 5' from the abberation-blood feat, another 5' from Warshaper if you qualify, and maybe also 5' from the Vile feat, if that fits the campaign. Difficult to go higher without being physically larger. There may also be some third party feats that increase this.

If you're willing to refluff things significantly, you could go for strategy #2, use a reach weapon (Meteor Hammer for double-reach), and fluff it as teleporting next to them instead. With that, you could get 45' reach even as Medium-sized.

Edit: I forgot - Drunken Master. By some interpretations of their "improved weapon" ability, you could use a 50'-long (or longer) rope as your improvised weapon, giving you that much reach without any body-morphing needed.

gorfnab
2014-01-09, 05:36 AM
The Silencing Strike (RoS) feat can potentially do the "Shaddup Slap".

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-09, 06:00 AM
Shintao monk 6; great silence

meet the caster's gaze within 60ft and he makes a save vs being struck mute for 1 minute per class level. No casting spells with verbal components or speaking of any kind.

at 10 they get the kukan-do feature which is delivered the same way but cuts the caster off from his casting altogether along with any other supernatural abilities he has. Here, just see for yourself;

Kukan-Do (Su): At 10th level, a Shintao monk gains a second gaze attack. The monk can use this ability once per day, targeting one creature within 30 feet. When the monk's chosen target meets her gaze, the target must attempt a Will saving throw (DC 10 + monk's class level + monk's Charisma modifier). If the target fails this save, he and the monk are locked in a kind of elemental stasis, preventing both of them from mustering their spiritual energies. Neither the target nor the monk can use any spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. Either character can attack or use skills and exceptional abilities, including the monk's unarmed attacks and stunning attack.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-09, 06:35 AM
Factotum 1/ Ardent 1/ Factotum 7/ Ardent 1/ Decisive Strike Invisible Fist Martial Monk 2/ Mindbender 1/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4/ Swordsage 3

Possibly replace one of the swordsage levels with something else.

Pick the right feats and it can potentially deliver 12 or so full attacks in a round. If a caster takes damage then he needs to make a concentration check or loose the spell.

Use the power Synchronicity for a standard action and then use one of the short range teleport spells as a power. Dimension Step is a good choice and is a third level spell in the PHB 2, which means that it costs 5 PP to manifest.

This lets him interrupt the mage. Although be warned that teleport blockers shut this down fairly hard.

Evandar
2014-01-09, 06:48 AM
Uhm, how many levels does your friend have to work with? I'm stumped, but it looks like Tippy's idea assumes he's going to be Epic, glorious though it may be. (I don't know enough about some of those classes to know if they're all required)

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-09, 06:50 AM
Uhm, how many levels does your friend have to work with? I'm stumped, but it looks like Tippy's idea assumes he's going to be Epic, glorious though it may be. (I don't know enough about some of those classes to know if they're all required)

Tippy's build is, as is typical of his suggested builds, 20 levels.

@Tippy:

You're really fond of factotum 8 for the extra standard actions, huh?

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-09, 07:02 AM
You're really fond of factotum 8 for the extra standard actions, huh?

Yes. Especially on anything that isn't caster focused and on anything that is supposed to engage multiple targets.

Factotum 8/ Decisive Strike Martial Monk 1 (Weapon Supremacy)/ Targetteer Fighter 1 is honestly about the best 10 levels for most any melee build.

Factotum 1 picks up all skills as class skills and an attack and damage boost. Factotum 3 saves you a ton of skill points and, most important, gives the biggest constant Initiative boost in the entire game. And as a non full caster you always want to go first. Factotum 4 picks you up a huge chunk of potential damage, although it is sneak attack with the attendant downsides.

And then Factotum 8, the money spot. At this point you should be ending combat in the surprise round, at worst in the first round.

It just generally makes you far better at whatever it is you do. Cunning Surge 3 times along with Cunning Insight 3 times for Int to attack and you effectively get a Fighter 20's full attack routine with full AB on every attack.

Effectively owning the action economy lets melee remain within shouting distance of full casters in a tactical sense.

Kazyan
2014-01-09, 10:43 AM
Monk 1/Wizard 1/(Full BAB 4). Pick up the Sun School feat at level 6. Use Abrupt Jaunt for an immediate action teleport, which triggers an unarmed strike through Sun School.