School: Conjuration (creation)
Level: Cleric/oracle 4, witch 5

Casting time: 1 minute
Components: V, S

Range: Touch
Target: Pregnant female, egg, or dead bo
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: ; Spell Resistance:

This spell creates an egg and transfers an unborn creature into it. It is perfectly suited to bring the mammal to term in excellent health. After the standard amount of development time the egg dissolves, releasing the newborn mammal. This spell can also be combined with any resurrection type spells in order to bring a creature not yet sufficiently developed to live outside of an egg or womb back to life. Both spells can be cast at the same time by the same caster.

This spell is obviously built for Pathfinder, but adapting it to other versions of D&D probably wouldn't be very difficult.

I am unsure what the saving throw and spell resistance entries should be.

Anyway, this spell is most definitely not something most adventurers would be particularly interested in, but it neatly solves something I think is a fairly vexing issue (how do you bring unborn creatures back to life?) and also allows for increased population growth if needed. (Granted, "create food" would probably be needed afterwards to feed the children born from eggs, but that's hardly much trouble)

Any comments, critiques, corrections, or criticisms?

Xyphan
2014-01-09, 07:17 AM
My only real problem is that the casting time would logically be a long process. I would say at least ten minutes. Spell resistance would still be a yes some moms wouldn't want their babies in a magic egg. Saving throw should be fortitude negates

Naomi Li
2014-01-09, 07:56 AM
Any particular reason you think the casting time should be longer? Are all conjuration (creation) spells longer than that? I mostly chose 1 minute because that was the shortest resurrection-type spell and I didn't want bringing an unborn child back to life to take longer than an adult.

And yes, that is decent reasoning for the saving throw/spell resistance. I was mostly also considering a "doesn't work on a resisting target" like the resurrection spells.

Xyphan
2014-01-09, 08:51 PM
Primarily because of how specialized it is. The difficulty of interrupting a pregnancy and keeping the baby alive is the primary thought. Also what happens to the egg in an antimagic field

AuraTwilight
2014-01-09, 08:55 PM
The duration is instantaneous, so the egg doesn't need magic to sustain itself once created.