PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Has anyone created a semi-successful Broodmaster Summoner?

apachea
2014-01-09, 12:17 PM
Hey everyone, so me and my group of friends just started playing Pathfinder and I went with the Summoner class as I love having people fight for me and love having more than one person fighting for me (weird I know). Anyway the summoner class is going fantastic however the broodmaster caught my eye.

I understand the class and the fact that the smaller eidolons are weaker and the class gets kinda crappy past level 6 however I cant find any updates as to anyone deciding to play this class and how its going. I found a few posts talking about the class but it seems that the poster was swayed from the choice and no one has really come forth with info.
Has anyone been playing this class no matter it's weaknesses and how are you building it?

So far (im only level 2) I am a Half-ling summoner that relies on my stealth and crossbow to get the job done. I have been looking into creating 2 quadruped Cat type eidolons with pounce and claws and what not and basically going to have the stronger of the two charge from the front and then have the weaker eidolon attack with a flanking bonus. How would you guys build these or have any advice as to what to take?

I might be able to change my race to something that helps since we are still early in the playthrough and we get to choose 2 traits (I chose mine to give stealth and climb checks since i'm usually the scout)

anyways, any help/advice is fantastic, Thanks!

grarrrg
2014-01-09, 10:34 PM
Well, the main issue is that instead of 1 mighty Beatstick-Eidolon, you have 2 half-weight Glass Cannons.
ALL Eidolons get full Bab and Saves, but _everything_ else must be shared.

Everything.

I have been looking into creating 2 quadruped Cat type eidolons with pounce and claws and what not and basically going to have the stronger of the two charge from the front and then have the weaker eidolon attack with a flanking bonus. How would you guys build these or have any advice as to what to take?

You also have to shared the Max Attacks between your Eidolons.
At level 4 you can put Claws on one of them.
At level 14 you can put Claws on both (assuming Quads, which only have a Bite Attack).

Due to the Shared Max Attack cap, I'd STRONGLY recommend going with a Manufactured Weapon approach for one of them. This has it's own issue of spending 2 Evo Points for Simple Weapon Prof. or burning one of your precious Feats.

The other option, if you can afford it, is to make one of them a "caster" by focusing on UMD and loading it up with Wands and such.

Teh_das
2014-01-09, 11:35 PM
I think the Broodmaster shouldn't be viewed in the same lens as the traditional Summomer. Think of it less as having one bad as monster, and more like you have two pet fighters. Focus on combat tricks to get the most of your shared attacks, use them as meat shields and constant debuffs. There's more strength in that than focusing on getting the most damage.

grarrrg
2014-01-09, 11:48 PM
Focus on combat tricks to get the most of your shared attacks, use them as meat shields

Considering they both/all have to share Hit Dice and Natural Armor bonus, 'meat shields' don't seem like a good option.

As for Combat Tricks, they are VERY limited in feats, and attempting to make one decent at something invariably results in the other being horrible.

Broodmaster is best used in a small party, with a benevolent DM.