PDA

View Full Version : Ring Gates and Warforged

Red Fel
2014-01-09, 12:54 PM
This falls under the "Would this work?" category of threads.

Here is the starting premise: Can a Ring Gate (or two) be made into a Warforged embedded component? As I understand, the default answer is yes.

As I recall, Ring Gates are roughly eighteen inches in diameter. But what if you could have a smaller one? Say, between 2-3 inches?

Could you, in theory, embed a pair of these mini-Ring Gates into the palms of a Warforged? Could you then give said Warforged the Wall of Blades counter from the Iron Heart discipline, allowing him to use his attack roll as a substitute for AC - in essence, to parry any attack, melee or ranged? And could you then, assuming he was parrying with his hands, allow the attack to enter one mini-Ring Gate, such that it emerges from the other, allowing the Warforged to redirect it? (Do unarmed strikes count as a melee weapon for purposes of Wall of Blades? Would a Battlefist work better?)

In essence, it would look like this:

Enemy fires arrow. Warforged uses Wall of Blades, perhaps with Snatch Arrow feat, absorbs arrow into left palm. Raises right palm as arrow emerges, fires it back.

Or:

Enemy lunges with rapier. Warforged uses Wall of Blades, blocks sword's path with palm. Blade goes into mini-Ring Gate. Blade emerges from other mini-Ring Gate, Warforged swings with this sword until its wielder has enough sense to pull it out.

Does this work?

Flickerdart
2014-01-09, 12:59 PM
RAW, none of this works, simply because you're basically relying entirely on "what if" and assumptions, instead of rules.

Red Fel
2014-01-09, 01:02 PM
RAW, none of this works, simply because you're basically relying entirely on "what if" and assumptions, instead of rules.

That's fine. Help me out, then - what are the relevant rules? Because I'm kind of drawing a blank.

And if this doesn't work by RAW, are there any ways to make it work?

Flickerdart
2014-01-09, 01:09 PM
That's just the thing - there aren't any rules for doing this. There aren't ring gates in the size you want. There are no rules for making sure your enemy's attack hits directly in the palm of your hand. There are no rules for aiming projectiles coming out of ring gates. Every aspect of this scheme would require you to convince a DM to let it work, and the permissiveness of individual people and even individual games varies considerably.

Red Fel
2014-01-09, 02:09 PM
That's just the thing - there aren't any rules for doing this. There aren't ring gates in the size you want. There are no rules for making sure your enemy's attack hits directly in the palm of your hand. There are no rules for aiming projectiles coming out of ring gates. Every aspect of this scheme would require you to convince a DM to let it work, and the permissiveness of individual people and even individual games varies considerably.

I realize nothing fits perfectly by RAW. The question then becomes whether anything is close enough to RAW as to be within the realm of the possible. I've seen plenty of scenarios where there is some ambiguity as to whether the RAW covers a particular thing. As you point out, in the instant case, there simply is no RAW on point.

So, is there anything closely parallel enough to act as precedent?

Flickerdart
2014-01-09, 02:20 PM
There's a vast gap between an ambiguous rule and a nonexistent one. Your plan falls solidly within the second camp.

TuggyNE
2014-01-09, 08:09 PM
Enemy fires arrow. Warforged uses Wall of Blades, perhaps with Snatch Arrow feat, absorbs arrow into left palm. Raises right palm as arrow emerges, fires it back.

Epic feat Reflect Arrows.

Enemy lunges with rapier. Warforged uses Wall of Blades, blocks sword's path with palm. Blade goes into mini-Ring Gate. Blade emerges from other mini-Ring Gate, Warforged swings with this sword until its wielder has enough sense to pull it out.

This doesn't exist, even as an epic feat, but is probably at least as powerful as Reflect Arrows.

So you're looking for a warforged component that grants two or more epic feats. This is … dubious, to say the least.