PDA

View Full Version : Awakened Item Subtype/Race - D&D 3.5

Evincar
2014-01-09, 06:17 PM
Hello all,

I have been working on a character concept, and I would like your opinions.

The concept is that I would like to play a character that is essentially an item. Moreso than i.e. Warforged are, in that it could be anything (a ring, amulet, gem, wooden idol, whatever).

For this to work, I figured that a new subtype/race is needed. I based it mostly off of Warforged, but added a few features and traits to compensate for the loss of the ability to move, speak or hold anything.

Awakened items are actual items with the awakened item subtype. An awakened item is a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Awakened items are beings who combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures, as detailed below, but they are living nor construct. They look in all aspects like an item.

Features: As an awakened item, a character has the following features.
• An awakened item derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.
• An awakened item is created as an item worth a maximum of 10x the maximum starting gold of its 1st level class. This value can include one or more non-magical crystals (see below).

Traits: An awakened item possesses the following traits.
• Awakened Item Subtype (Ex):
̶ An awakened item is immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, energy drain.
̶ An awakened item is subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, death effects and necromancy effects, but only if those effects do not use bodily functions of the subject (poison, nerve system, etc).
̶ An awakened item cannot heal lethal damage naturally.
̶ Awakened items can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to an awakened item can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and an awakened item is vulnerable to disable construct and harm. However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effects to an awakened item.
̶ The unusual physical construction of awakened item makes them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that normally don’t affect living creatures. Depending on the material an awakened item is made of, it takes damage from spells and effects that target that material.
̶ An awakened item responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. An awakened item with 0 hit points is disabled, as with a living creature. It can take only a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When its hit points are less than 0 and greater than –10, an awakened item is inert. It is unconscious and helpless, and cannot perform any actions. An inert awakened item does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that has become stable.
̶ An awakened item does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. Since it cannot physically eat or drink, it cannot benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions. Although awakened items do not need to sleep, an awakened item must meditate for 8 hours before preparing spells or regaining power points.
• +2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma: Awakened items usually have an analytic and patient nature, but their difficulty in relating to other creatures makes them seem aloof or even hostile.
• Sighted (Ex): Although it has no physical sensory organs, an awakened item can telepathically sense its environment as well as a creature with normal vision and hearing.
• Telepathy: An awakened item cannot speak. However, it is able to communicate telepathically with any creature within distance that has a language. Alternatively, it can send visualizations to any creature within distance. The distance depends on character level: 5 feet at 1st level, 30 ft at 5th level, 100 ft at 10th level, 1 mile at 15th level and 10 miles at 20th level.
• Any size: An awakened item can be of any size, in accordance to the item it represents. It has all the special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
• An awakened item base land speed is 0 feet.
• Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on an awakened item, there is a 25% chance that the extra damage is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
• An awakened item cannot carry items, nor profit from magic items. It is however prepared for the placement of magical crystals. These crystals can be similar to any magic item, but have to be created especially for you. The cost per crystal is at least 500 gp, and the magic item cost is 125% of the normal item cost. There is room for a maximum of 12 crystals, which do not have to be imbued with magic upon creation or placement. A crystal can be re-used (or upgraded), and enchanting the crystal does not require the awakened item to be present. Crystals can be removed and placed only at will by the awakened item, or when it is inert.
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
• Favored Class: Any mental-based.

I also created a few specific feats:

Ectoplasmic self-propulsion (RACIAL)
A number of tiny ecloplasmic legs form, which allow you to walk and climb.
Prerequisites: Awakened item subtype, character level 6.
Benefit: You gain a land speed of 30 and climb speed of 20.
Normal: An awakened item cannot move on its own without use of special powers.

Ectoplasmic flight (RACIAL)
The form of your ectoplasmic legs can be changed, and allow you to hover and fly to some degree.
Prerequisites: Ectoplasmic self-propulsion, character level 12.
Benefit: You gain a fly speed of 30 (average).

Ectoplasmic movement, Improved (RACIAL)
Through practice you mastered the use of your ectoplasmic movement limbs.
Prerequisites: Ectoplasmic self-propulsion, Ectoplasmic flight, character level 16.
Benefit: All your ectoplasmic movement speeds increase by +10 ft, your flight improves to good maneuverability.

Harden the skin (RACIAL)
Through mental focus on your vulnerable shell, you increase its toughness.
Prerequisites: Awakened item subtype, character level 3.
Benefit: You gain +1 hardness per two character levels.

Please let me know if you think I am on to a balanced homebrew or completely going wrong.

Evincar
2014-01-13, 11:00 AM
No one with any opinions? I cannot believe that! :)

1whoscribbled
2014-01-16, 08:52 PM
Personally I really like it but I have no idea what its LA would be.

A good example of this is from a big character from Lord of the Rings. :smalltongue:

Evincar
2014-01-17, 02:46 AM
I would think no LA, because of the various practical limitations.
I based it largely on Warforged, which also has no LA. Then added penalties/limitations and added some things of counter those.

Though you might be right. I have not thought about using LA.

TuggyNE
2014-01-17, 04:30 AM
Type should be Construct, like all other items that are also creatures (intelligent magic items, golems, etc).

The immunity to various effects "only if those effects do not use bodily functions" will be hard to adjudge, since most such effects don't bother to tell you one way or another, and some of them don't even give you any hints. A better compromise might be to leave in the usual Fort-save immunity but remove some of the other Construct immunities correspondingly.

Favored class, if you even leave it in*, should probably be rather more specific; one or two particular classes is more customary. Here, psionic classes have an obvious appeal, so Psion might be a decent favored class.

LA is difficult to determine, but should probably be estimated on the basis of a character having largely overcome the most crippling obstacles to adventuring, such as mobility, interaction, and damage. This is because those who care about LA will usually go to some lengths to mitigate such problems, and those who don't will not be much worse off with a heavy LA for this race than for some other suboptimal choice, and will likely not care much anyway.

*Given how terrible the mechanic is at representing what it purports to, I would drop it.