PDA

View Full Version : Looking for HELP to design arena play style

GhengisConrad
2014-01-09, 07:24 PM
RULES:

RAW is... open to interpretations. Here are the arena's

Battle Jump: Battle Jump changes a charge from a straight line run to a drop action and dealing double damage. This does not change time requirements. You must still use a full round action to perform your charge.

Open X Chakra: This feat does not also grant the epic feat 'extra chakra bind' as a bonus feat.

All Dragon and Dungeon Magazines are in play. All 3.5 and unrewritten 3.0 is allowed; inlcuding all official campaign settings (Forgotten Realms, Oriental Adventures, Eberron and Kalamar).
However, several things are banned

Books:
Most of Unearthed Arcana. Still undecided about Flaws, Racial Paragons, and a few things.

Classes:

Spells:

Feats: Leadership

This is an arena style of play. The area is determined by NOT YET DECIDED

Characters start at 10th level. After each round, the contestant with the most losses has the option to go up any number of levels, up to a maximum of 20th level. If the win/loss ratio is equal, the most recent loser makes the choice.

You Begin with 50,000 gp.

With each level increase, you gain that gained level to the fourth power. eq gaining level 11 gives you 14,641 gp. Gaining level 19 nets 130,321 gp.

No more than half of your total wealth may be spent on any one item

You may at any time save your gp. Items are purchases and equipped. after leveling up and before beginning the next round.

Victory Conditions

The person to win the most rounds in 24 hours wins the match.

Winning a round is determined by meeting one of the victory conditions:

1. Killing your opponent

2. Reducing your opponent to less than -10 hit points

3. Lying prone in the center of the arena for NOT YET DECIDED minutes

Inter-Round Rules

The contestant who has the most lost rounds gains abilities for the next round. If the win/loss ratio is equal, the most recent loser makes the choice.

Loser Abilities:

1. Choice of duration before next round

2. Automatic First Action (Initiative) for next round

3. The loser may sell any or all of his items for half of their listed price.

Global Effects:

1.The Arena is changed. It becomes NOT YET DECIDED.

2. All damages are healed. Ability damage. HP damage. Spells spent are not recovered.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-09, 07:25 PM
Please! Help me decide how to develop an arena style of play. I've come to realize, that in my mind, and at my table, whether it is common or not, we impose (for honor, for bragging rights, out of ignorance/stupidy) certain rules upon our builds.

Then, when I come to the playground for help, I have to explain these aspects to everyone who suggests I play pun-pun or something like that.

I figured it would be easier to just develop the 'arena' style of play that my table loosely adheres to anyway, and maybe get some feedback on the failings of our way of thinking.

At any point you see this post, feel free to comment on the OP with some ideas, suggestions, reason those rules/arena styles would be stupid.

AND ALWAYS feel free to give a suggestion on the NOT YET DECIDED portions.

Developing this arena will be a way for me to expand my knowledge of the rules themselves. Please challenge me!

GhengisConrad
2014-01-09, 07:26 PM
Reserved...

GhengisConrad
2014-01-09, 08:51 PM
Alright, totally ready for some imput.

Thank you for your patience.

Darrin
2014-01-09, 09:56 PM
Could you explain the reasoning behind not allowing Unearthed Arcana? It's available for free online, and except for a couple exceptions, most of it is more balanced and thought-out than most Dragon material.

I'm also fuzzy on the "lying prone" part of winning. Do you mean you must cause your opponent to lie prone for X minutes, or you win by lying down yourself, and your opponent is completely incapable of doing anything except bask in the glory of your magnificent laziness?

GhengisConrad
2014-01-09, 10:13 PM
Could you explain the reasoning behind not allowing Unearthed Arcana? It's available for free online, and except for a couple exceptions, most of it is more balanced and thought-out than most Dragon material.

Mostly because I like so much of it... and it says 'we are variant' all over it... I guess variant classes aren't the same as variant rules...

I'm also fuzzy on the "lying prone" part of winning. Do you mean you must cause your opponent to lie prone for X minutes, or you win by lying down yourself, and your opponent is completely incapable of doing anything except bask in the glory of your magnificent laziness?

well, the idea being, if you want to try to make some kinda build that just runs out the timer after scoring a single win... then yeah no. Gotta play to win.