PDA

View Full Version : Limited Wish vs Wish

Melcar
2014-01-09, 07:30 PM
A quick question about Wish and Limited Wish.

Limited Wish has this line included in its text:

Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw.

Wish does not... Does that really mean, that Wish cant do the above mentioned thing?

Sith_Happens
2014-01-09, 07:33 PM
Wish can do either of those specific things by duplicating Limited Wish, but I do find it odd that it doesn't have its own "any other effect whose power level is in line with the above" line, although maybe that's supposed to be implicit in the fact that only wishing for a "greater effect" can go wrong.

Rhynn
2014-01-09, 07:35 PM
Wish can

Duplicate any wizard or sorcerer spell of 8th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.

Anything limited wish can do, wish can do more expensively.

Melcar
2014-01-09, 07:44 PM
Well Limited Wish can dublicate psion powers by that specific line... it does not look like wish can do that from a pure RAW standpoint. Wish looks as if it can only dublicate spells. Am I missing something.?

Vhaidara
2014-01-09, 08:07 PM
Limited Wish is a spell of 8th level or lower

ergo, if all else fails, cast wish, use that to cast limited wish, and boom.

Melcar
2014-01-10, 05:52 AM
Limited Wish is a spell of 8th level or lower

ergo, if all else fails, cast wish, use that to cast limited wish, and boom.

Yeah, but as I understood it, if I wanted to dublicat higher effect than Limited Wish could do I would have to go to Wish.

Lets say I want to dublicate the psion power Fusion I think that would be too high for Limited Wish but perhaps not for Wish?

Psyren
2014-01-10, 09:27 AM
Yeah, but as I understood it, if I wanted to dublicat higher effect than Limited Wish could do I would have to go to Wish.

Lets say I want to dublicate the psion power Fusion I think that would be too high for Limited Wish but perhaps not for Wish?

Given that prohibited spells are limited to 7th or lower, I'd assume the same to be true for discipline powers. ("Discipline powers" from a discipline you don't possess are treated like banned schools.)

Of course, that leads to interesting interactions if you're, say, a transmuter or you're an egoist/cerebremancer - would those let you Wish up to 8th-level psychometabolism powers?

Ultimately it's a DM call.

Segev
2014-01-10, 09:32 AM
Wish does state that it can do (almost) "anything" and notes that wishing for "greater" effects than those listed can lead to mishaps. Reading with standard English denotations and connotations, that seems to indicate that if you feel an effect is in line with or weaker than the listed effects (including mimicking spells of specified levels), Wish can do it and can do it without mishap.

Limited Wish, on the other hand, can only do things "in line with" the listed effects' level of power; it cannot achieve "greater" effects, even WITH mishaps.