View Full Version : I Want Broken Stuff

Drunkerjack
2014-01-09, 07:34 PM
Okay. So here's what I want, and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Years ago, I thought I found a document somewhere (I thought it was here, but I think I was mistaken) that just talks about 3.5e and all the broken crap in it. Like, it had tier lists for all the classes, and it had in-depth discussions about why each class went where. It also talked about building difficult encounters and what monsters to use where from what books.

It was, in short, a comprehensive resource for all things concerning high-powered 3.5e. I swear that I have vivid memories about reading it, but I must have been hallucinating, because I can find neither trace nor trail of anything like it. Can anyone here help me?

Like I said, I'm looking for information concerning power-gaming in 3.5. I want to learn all about it. Anything that anyone has to teach me.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-09, 07:44 PM
The Tier system: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266559
Why Each Class is in its Tier: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269440

Red Fel
2014-01-09, 08:15 PM
It's like asking someone to explain the myriad functions of water. We can generalize, but there's just so much you can do with it. It's crazy, the sheer volume of possibilities. You have to be more specific.

What exactly do you want in terms of brokenness? Classes? Spells? Races? Feats? Particular unexpected synergies between individually-okay things which collide to form pure cheese?

There's just too much to list if you want everything. Specify, chief, specify.

sideswipe
2014-01-09, 08:25 PM
search - uber chargers, combat trip builds, wildshape druids, the tome of battle, yawning wizards and psionic mind r**ers. just to label a few

Drunkerjack
2014-01-09, 08:25 PM
I want all of it.

Particular unexpected synergies between individually-okay things which collide to form pure cheese?
But I'll settle for this.

search - uber chargers, combat trip builds, wildshape druids, the tome of battle, yawning wizards and psionic mind r**ers. just to label a few
Thanks. =D I will do all of that.

Kalmageddon
2014-01-09, 08:31 PM
I can't help but find this kind of threads creepy. Like we are providing some random dude with the means to ruin a campaign or fulfill some power fantasy at the expenses of others, expecially because all the "broken stuff" would only be viable in a game where the DM is not truly in control and can't simply say "your character is broken, please roll another one", which to me screams abusing the weak will and naivety of some poor guy. :smallconfused:

I'm probably reading too much into this, I guess.
Anyway, back on topic, a generic google search with the criteria you have been provided with should work, but unless you have something more specific in mind there isn't much else to say.

sideswipe
2014-01-09, 08:32 PM
you want some cheese? here is a nice one from tome of battle, but i forget the actual specifics.

there is a manoeuvre that says if you roll max damage on an attack damage dice. roll it again and add the original result to it to. if you roll max again repeat it.

there is i believe a feat/ manoeuvre (can't remember which) that allows you to re-roll all 1's when dealing damage.

apart they are meh.

now use A D2 weapon and watch your small nic you scratch across them with your tiny dagger EXPLODE with infinite damage.

TuggyNE
2014-01-09, 08:37 PM
Some time ago I started a thread to gather the top ten most broken/worst-written individual pieces of 3.x: spells, feats, class features, whatever. Ended up with 120 results. :smallwink: (Don't necro it, please.)

Nohwl
2014-01-09, 11:49 PM
one of the handy links threads, maybe?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=143.0
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1008946

EugeneVoid
2014-01-09, 11:59 PM

Uberchargers are builds that do... enough damage to oneshot things. In general though, if you can charge something without there being difficult terrain or the many other ways of interrupting or evading a charge, you deserve to die. The numbers are big though.

Combat Tripping is... not broken at all. They just make mundanes not look as bad sans ToB

Wildshape Druids are strong (but not broken). They get to have an extremely powerful class feature along with casting

Tome of Battle is not broken. Each class in there is decently strong with a high floor and good flavor. They make mundanes look decent/fun to play.

Wizards are like druids. Very Strong. Not broken though. You can reach broken levels by going Tippy level, being super-paranoid, one-shotting things.

btw mindrape is an arcane spell.

Definition of Broken (I think) is anything that slows down gameplay or doesn't function properly.

Kennisiou
2014-01-10, 12:05 AM
It really depends what you mean by "broken." Is your normal playgroup going to be surprised by having a Cleric in their midst that does the fighter's job but better? While also being, you know, a Cleric? How about a melee combatant that has 10 str but is still dealing more damage than any other non-uber charging melee combatant? An archer that shoots about 12 arrows a turn each one dipped with high DC poison?

Because, in some playgroups I've been in that's super cheesy but on others that's just the expected standard power level.

Somensjev
2014-01-10, 12:11 AM
pun-pun
stp erudite
polymorph(-like) spells
items that give you wish
iron heart surge

the list keeps going