PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody help me find this?

questionmark693
2014-01-09, 07:37 PM
I distinctly remember somebody (on this board) stating that the deities got an exceptional stat array of some sort, and it was explained in an article somewhere. Can somebody point me towards that article?

Karnith
2014-01-09, 08:58 PM
The article was in Dragon Magazine #300; it was the pre-Sage-Advice Q&A column. The relevant part you're probably looking for is:

All the deities in Deities and Demigods have a standard array of ability scores (similar to the standard array for NPCs in the Dungeon Master's Guide). The standard array is 35, 28, 25, 24, 24, 24.

To this standard divine array, the Deities and Demigods designers added +1 for every 4 class levels a deity had and +1 for every point of divine rank. Certain deities also received racial adjustments. For example, Corellon Larethian received elf racial adjustments.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-09, 09:44 PM
Totally bizarre that any god that wasn't originally mortal should have anything less than

18 (max roll) + 5 (wishes) + 6 (standard enhancement for anyone that wants to be good at that ability).

Personally, I'd round it up to 30, before racial modifiers. A god should, without trying, be better than the best mortal that has used pre-epic resources to master something. Even outside that god's field of study; certain gods that are supposed to be really stupid or ugly or whatever maybe I'd dumb down, but I'd probably never alter any physical stats downward.

Was there any justification given for the original array? Or is this another case of WotC's famous skill at eyeballing things?

questionmark693
2014-01-10, 02:25 AM
Thanks for pointing me towards it, I appreciate it :) The article didn't give any justification for them that I saw, no.