PDA

View Full Version : question about practiced spell caster and spell lists

kashius volclov
2014-01-09, 08:44 PM
hi all,

i was wanting some clarification about how practiced spellcaster works.

say i have a dwarf who took fighter 4, wizard 1, runesmith 1 and geometer 1 levels.

firstly am i correct in saying that runesmith and geometer classes will use the wizard spell list?

and if so, by taking practiced spellcaster and selecting wizard as the class it applied to, does it mean that i will be casting wizard spells at a level 7 caster level or does it mean i cast at a level 5 caster level?

i was trying to loosely create a character based on Sandal from Dragon Age and was thinking of something like fighter 4, wizard 2, runesmith 1, wildmage 3. Was wondering if his caster level when using a rune and using wild magic would be 10(4+2+1+3), 6(2+4), 5(4+1) or 7(3+4)

bonus points for anyone who can come up with a build for sandal without using tome of battle and psionics!!

kashius volclov
2014-01-09, 08:52 PM
sorry this post was submitted on accident, had issues with browser, please ignore/delete this post.

i have an edited and more clear post above

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-09, 08:53 PM
Geometer and runesmith both advance an existing casting ability. So, yes, you'll cast as a 3rd level wizard after taking those levels. Taking practiced spellcaster will increase your caster level but will not give you any extra spell slots or the ability to cast spells of higher than 2nd level.

However, I don't think you'll actually qualify for runesmith. Doesn't it require the ability to cast second level spells?

MirddinEmris
2014-01-10, 03:43 AM
Geometer and runesmith both advance an existing casting ability. So, yes, you'll cast as a 3rd level wizard after taking those levels. Taking practiced spellcaster will increase your caster level but will not give you any extra spell slots or the ability to cast spells of higher than 2nd level.

However, I don't think you'll actually qualify for runesmith. Doesn't it require the ability to cast second level spells?

Runesmith require only 1st level arcane spells, so it's all good. But Geometer require 3rd level, so he doesn't qualify for it (also it has some very high skills requirement).