PDA

View Full Version : My Warlock Fix (Final Draft) (PEACHing)[3.P]

HereBeMonsters
2014-01-09, 09:02 PM
Warlock

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Abilities: A warlock is a charismatic and cunning foe, swift in both body and tongue.
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Hit Die: d8
Starting Age: As Sorcerer
Starting Gold: As Sorcerer

Class Skills
Acrobatic - DEX
Appraise - INT
Bluff - CHA *
Craft - INT *
Intimidate - CHA *
Knowledge (Arcana) - INT *
Knowledge (Religion) - INT *
Knowledge (The Planes) - INT *
Profession - WIS *
Sense Motive - CHA *
Spellcraft - INT *
Use Magic Device - CHA *

Of course for 3.5 just use the regular skills of the Warlock shown by *
Plus Jump - STR and Concentration - CON

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

WARLOCK
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Daily Invocations|EB Invocations

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Eldritch blast 1d6, Invocation (Least), Overcharging| 2| 1

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Eldritch Eyes| 3| 1

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Damage reduction 1/Cold Iron, Eldritch blast 2d6| 3| 1

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Deceive Item, Imbue Item| 3| 2

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Eldritch blast 3d6, Imbue Eldritch Energies| 4| 2

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|New Invocation Level (Lesser), Spectral Blast| 4| 2

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Damage Reduction 2/cold iron, Eldritch blast 4d6| 4| 2

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Fiendish Resilience, Overcharging| 5| 3

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|Eldritch blast 5d6, Eldritch Eyes| 5| 3

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Energy Resistance 5, Imbue Eldritch Energies| 5 |3

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|Damage reduction 3/cold iron, Eldritch blast 6d6, New Invocation Level (Greater)| 6| 3

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Arcane Armor Training| 6| 4

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Fiendish resilience 2, Eldritch blast 7d6| 6| 4

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|Damage reduction 4/ cold iron| 7| 4

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Eldritch blast 8d6, Imbue Eldritch Energies, Overcharging| 7| 4

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|New Invocation Level (Dark), Eldritch Eyes| 7| 5

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Eldritch blast 9d6| 8| 5

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Fiendish resilience 5| 8| 5

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Eldritch blast 10d6| 8| 5

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Damage reduction 5/ cold iron, Energy Resistance 10| 9| 6[/table]

Invocations: A warlock does not prepare or cast spells as other wielders of arcane magic do. Instead, she possesses a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations that require her to focus the wild energy that suffuses her soul. A warlock can use any invocation she knows at will, with the following qualifications:
A warlock's invocations are spell-like abilities; using an invocation is therefore a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. An invocation can be disrupted, just as a spell can be ruined during casting. A warlock is entitled to a Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if she is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be. A warlock can choose to use an invocation defensively, by making a successful Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity. A warlock's invocations are subject to spell resistance unless an invocation's description specifically states otherwise. A warlock's caster level with her invocations is equal to her warlock level.

The save DC for an invocation (if it allows a save) is 10 + equivalent spell level + the warlock's Charisma modifier. Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat. She can, however, benefit from the Ability Focus feat (see page 303 of the Monster Manual), as well as from feats that emulate metamagic effects for spell-like abilities, such as Quicken Spell-Like Ability and Empower Spell-Like Ability (see pages 303 and 304 of the Monster Manual).

The four grades of invocations, in order of their relative power, are least, lesser, greater, and dark. A warlock begins with knowledge of one invocation, which must be of the lowest grade (least). As a warlock gains levels, she learns new invocations, as summarized on Table 1—1 and described below. A list of available invocations can be found following this class description, and a complete description of each invocation can be found in Chapter 4 of this book.

Finally, unlike other spell-like abilities, invocations are subject to arcane spell failure chance as described under Weapon and Armor Proficiency above. Warlocks can qualify for some prestige classes usually intended for spellcasters; see Warlocks and Prestige Classes, page 18, for details.

Invocations Known and Daily Use:
The warlock begins knowing all the invocations of the Least tier of the Warlock Invocations and gains accesses to all invocations of the Lesser, Great, and Dark tiers at levels 6, 11, 16 respectively. The warlock however cannot use all her known invocations each day. Instead the warlock has Invocation slots that range from 2 at level 1 through 9 at level 20. The Invocations can be of any tier level of the Warlock invocations. Or any other invocations that may be gained later. At first level the warlock has two invocation slots, once the invocations are selected those slots are locked in allowing the warlock unlimited number of uses with the invocations but only those two selected locked in invocations.

Eldritch Shape/Blast Invocations:
The warlock can only use a handful of the known blast shapes and blast essences that the warlock knows each day. From 1 at level one to 6 at level 20 the warlock can choose from the entirety of her invocation list of a tier she has access too. At first level for example the warlock only has access to least tier shape/blast invocations and can only fill 1 invocation slot but can then use that same invocation multiple times. As the warlock gains more invocation slots she can choose more shape/blast invocations to fill those slots, upon filling those slots the slot is locked in and cannot be chained till the next day, however she can use those invocations unlimited number of times.

Eldritch Blast (Sp): The first ability a warlock learns is eldritch blast. A warlock attacks his foes with eldritch power, using baleful magical energy to deal damage and sometimes impart other debilitating effects.

An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level and increases in power as the warlock rises in level. An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. If you apply a blast shape or eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast (see page 130), your eldritch blast uses the level equivalent of the shape or essence.

An eldritch blast is subject to spell resistance, although the Spell Penetration feat and other effects that improve caster level checks to overcome spell resistance also apply to eldritch blast. An eldritch blast deals half damage to objects. Metamagic feats cannot improve a warlock's eldritch blast (because it is a spell-like ability, not a spell). However, the feat Ability Focus (eldritch blast) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a warlock's eldritch blast by 2. See page 303 of the Monster Manual.

Eldritch Eyes (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a warlock can use detect magic as the spell at will. Her caster level equals her class level. Beginning at 9th level, a warlock can now use arcane sight as the spell at will. Her caster level equals her class level. Beginning at 16th level, a warlock can use greater arcane sight as the spell at will. Her caster level equals her class level.

Overcharging (Su) At 1rst level a Warlock can choose to take 1 point of Con damage to charge her Eldritch Blast with an additional 1d6 of damage, if a warlock has no Con score they cannot access this ability. At 8th and 15th level this ability increases further. At 8th level a Warlock can choose to take another point of Con damage to charge her Eldritch Blast by 3d6. At 15th level a Warlock can choose to take another point of Con damage to charge her Eldritch Blast by 5d6.

Damage Reduction (Su): Fortified by the supernatural power flowing in his body, a warlock becomes resistant to physical attacks at 3rd level and above, gaining damage reduction 1/cold iron. At 7th level and every four levels thereafter, a warlock's damage reduction improves as shown on Table 1—1.

Deceive Item (Ex): At 4th level and higher, a warlock has the ability to more easily commandeer magic items made for the use of other characters. When making a Use Magic Device check, a warlock can take 10 even if distracted or threatened.

Imbue Item (Su): A warlock of 4th level or higher can use his supernatural power to create magic items, even if he does not know the spells required to make an item (although he must know the appropriate item creation feat). He can substitute a Use Magic Device check (DC 15 + spell level for arcane spells or 25 + spell level for divine spells) in place of a required spell he doesn't know or can't cast.
If the check succeeds, the warlock can create the item as if he had cast the required spell. If it fails, he cannot complete the item. He does not expend the XP or gp costs for making the item; his progress is simply arrested. He cannot retry this Use Magic Device check for that spell until he gains a new level.

Imbue Eldritch Energies (Su): At 5th level the Warlock gains the ability to imbue a weapon with the eldritch energies of her eldritch blast damage as a standard action with touch of the weapon. At 10th level a Warlock can imbue a weapon with her eldritch blast with a touch as a move action. At 15th level a Warlock can imbue a weapon with her eldritch blast as a swift action with a touch once per round.

The imbued eldritch energy persist till it is expended in a successful melee attack or 1d4 rounds whichever requirement is met first. This ability cannot be used on ranged weapons but can be placed on thrown weapons such as spears and javelins. A weapon imbued with the Eldritch energies adds the Eldritch Blast damage as additional damage to the weapons normal damage. This damage is not precision damage, this damage is however added after critical damage multiplication is calculated.

As a Warlock at 5th level can use the imbue action as a standard action this can only be done once per round. At 10th level the Warlock can use the imbue action as a move action this can only be done twice per round.
At 15th level the warlock can use the imbue action as a swift action allowing it to be done three per round.

Spectral Blast (Su) At 6th level a Warlock can use a swift action to alter the frequency of his EB to allow it to better target and effect beings who are Incorporeal, Ethereal, or Phased. Allowing the warlock to ignore the 50% miss chance and dealing full damage. This ability can be combined with Imbue Eldritch Energies but only after 10th level.

Fiendish Resilience (Su): Beginning at 8th level, a warlock knows the trick of fiendish resilience. Once per day, as a free action, he can enter a state that lasts for 2 minutes. While in this state, the warlock gains fast healing 1.

At 13th level, a warlock's fiendish resilience improves. When in his fiendish resilience state, he gains fast healing 2 instead. At 18th level, a warlock's fiendish resilience improves to fast healing 5.

Energy Resistance (Su): At 10th level and higher, a warlock has resistance 5 against any two of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic. Once the types are chosen, this energy resistance cannot be changed. At 20th level, a warlock gains resistance 10 against the two selected types of energy.

Arcane Armor Training(Ex): At 12th level the Warlock has become attuned to her own magical energies allowing her to better move within armor without feeling restricted by its movement. The Warlock can now wear and move within medium armor without incurring arcane spell failure chance.

nonsi
2014-01-09, 11:29 PM
Imbue Eldritch Energies is only partially detailed.
- For how long does this last?
- How many uses ?
- Does it work on range weapons ?

Keep description consistent gender-wise ("his" somewhere and "her" somewhere else).

Your Warlock cannot capitalize on its 6th level access to Lesser invocations until 8th level.
Try to tweak the invocations progression so this doesn't happen.

[EDIT]: Regarding invocations progression, how about drawing from the Dragonfire Adept, and granting EB invocations "in between" when you don't get general invocations, like this:

Warlock General EB
level #Invocations Invocations
===================================
1st 2 0
2nd 2 1
3rd 3 1
4th 3 2
5th 3 2
6th 4 2
7th 4 3
8th 5 3
9th 5 4
10th 5 4
11th 6 4
12th 6 5
13th 7 5
14th 7 6
15th 7 6
16th 8 6
17th 8 7
18th 9 7
19th 9 8
20th 9 8

HereBeMonsters
2014-01-09, 11:49 PM
How so?
Again this Warlock knows all of his/her invocations the warlock does not have a invocations known list. These are all Invocations on the Warlock invocation list and the DFA Invocations with the right feat selection.

So it can make use of the 6th level Lesser Invocations the very next day.

I do apologize I am a male so to write She is a little odd for me I do try though and I will probably fix that in my next edit.

I will add the Edit for length and durations.

HereBeMonsters
2014-01-09, 11:57 PM
Edits completed (the he she stuff may still be there.)

For your edit I do see why you would say so but that might give to many then. Remember you have access to the FULL list of Invocations these are just the amount you know but just the amount of them you can use each day.

Erik Vale
2014-01-11, 02:05 AM
Most of my points are about poor wording, but here they are:
How many times can a warlock use a invocation slot/day? [Assuming Unlimited]
So a warlock can use dark grade EB invocations at level 1? What are EB invocations [Assuming Shapes/Essences]? How many/day [Assuming Unlimited]?
Can characters immune to con damage/lacking con use overcharge? [Lacks the usual listing of no, therefor RAW yes, which is stupid]
State that Imbue Eldritch Energies adds EB damage to weapons damage, because Imbue means nothing. However, how many weapons can a warlock have imbued at one time, and can others use them or just the warlock, and how long do imbuements last [I'm now imagining warlocks selling imbued amunition at the cost of +[X+Y] ammunition where X is the number of d6 additional damage and Y is actual enchantment bonus]?

HereBeMonsters
2014-01-14, 01:53 PM
Most of my points are about poor wording, but here they are:
How many times can a warlock use a invocation slot/day? [Assuming Unlimited]
So a warlock can use dark grade EB invocations at level 1? What are EB invocations [Assuming Shapes/Essences]? How many/day [Assuming Unlimited]?
Can characters immune to con damage/lacking con use overcharge? [Lacks the usual listing of no, therefor RAW yes, which is stupid]
State that Imbue Eldritch Energies adds EB damage to weapons damage, because Imbue means nothing. However, how many weapons can a warlock have imbued at one time, and can others use them or just the warlock, and how long do imbuements last [I'm now imagining warlocks selling imbued amunition at the cost of +[X+Y] ammunition where X is the number of d6 additional damage and Y is actual enchantment bonus]?

1. As I have not changed the wording of the invocation section I thought it was obvious that the Warlocks invocations work the same as before with the invocations that was in those slots functioning like spell like abilities with the At-will type.

2. Of course not, the Shape/Blast invocations follow the same tier path as the normal invocations. It is presumed to be obvious why would I not note that specifically if it was the case.

3. A character with no Con or is immune to Con damage then cannot Choose to take Con damage because they have no con to damage or they are immune to damage to con so they by default cannot use it, but I added text to make it clearer.

4. I added text to make the Imbue Eldritch Energy more clear. The charge lasts 1d4 rounds if it is not used. I do agree allowing it to sit there till expended was a little off. Also I added a short bit of text to show how many times a round they can imbue the energy into a weapon. As far as whos weapon that is the Warlocks to decide. (Obviously they can do it to themselves by spending a turn imbueing their sword, or they could imbue their barbarian buddies sword.)

Vanitas
2014-01-14, 02:06 PM
Overcharging is really bad. You tried to do hellfire in a non abusive way, but you made it too weak, unless you use Strongheart Vest and ignore the damage altogether.

What you could do is that overcharge would give you a bonus to eldritch blast damage and caster level for X rounds, but it would make you fatigued.

HereBeMonsters
2014-01-14, 03:05 PM
How much a bonus for each do you recommend?

Edit: Well I did remove the no spells, spell like abilities, supernatural abilities as not being able to heal it. After all at 15th level you should be able to handle that kinda stuff.

I changed the amount of Con damage taken.
3 Con damage allows you to add 6d6 damage onto your EB, should I nerf this?

Erik Vale
2014-01-15, 06:54 PM
I'll agree that it's not as useful as Hellfire Warlock, but it's nowhere near as broken as Hellfire Warlock so it should be fine. [I expect that it will still only be used with Nebarus available to heal it quickly though] I will point out however you removed the bit about not using it if immune to con damage...
I would probably also add a bit of it also ignoring abilities that reduce con damage instead of heal it or make clear that strong heart vest works to avoid any debate on the matter for your warlock.

The only change I would make is to increase daily invocations and get rid of EB invocations for warlocks who don't want to be pegged into using EB [but then, you kinda are anyway], and possibly increase normal invocations as you end up with less of the standard invocations. However for EB, most of my warlocks use either 3 or 6 invocations, Spear, Chain, Virtrolic [Neccesary], Hammer [Swappable out for Baleful Utterence or ignored] and Noxious/Utterdark [Godly or Useless], so I think you've got that number about right.
However, with this warlock I could imagine Bane blast becoming a lot more appealing and a useful replacement for Virtrolic [Ignore's SR without typing damage].

However, overall, Warlock is fixed, not made awesome aside from fluff like others aim for, but thoroughly fixed. Solid 3 or maybe 2.