PDA

View Full Version : SRSLY! Incarnum and Chargings and Pounces

GhengisConrad
2014-01-09, 11:19 PM
Several Questions about Charging and Incarnum. First one is most important.

Thunder-step Boots:

"When you charge, your thunderstep boots channel sonic energy into your attack. If you hit with a melee attack at the end of a charge, the target takes an additional 1d4 points of sonic damage."

Does this apply to each attack if you make a pounce?

Dread Carapace (Totem):

As you pounce, do you get to make multiple fear checks?

Sphinx Claws (Hands)

Can this ability stack with Pounce? It's not pounce, because you don't get a full attack, you get something remarkabley like pounce "When you use the
charge action, at the end of your charge you can make a full attack using any natural weapons you possess"

Urskan Greaves (Feet):

Like thunderstep boots, does it apply to each attack? Or only one normal attack?

Irk
2014-01-09, 11:32 PM
Several Questions about Charging and Incarnum. First one is most important.

Thunder-step Boots:

"When you charge, your thunderstep boots channel sonic energy into your attack. If you hit with a melee attack at the end of a charge, the target takes an additional 1d4 points of sonic damage."

Does this apply to each attack if you make a pounce?
Urskan Greaves (Feet):

Like thunderstep boots, does it apply to each attack? Or only one normal attack?
For thunderstep boots, it's just he flat extra damage, and I would argue that it's not damage added onto the attack but a separate ability that gets activated by a successful charge attack. For Urskan greaves, it does say melee attack, singular, but that's because on a charge you only get one attack. I think check with your DM to see if it deals damage on each attack if you pounce, but I'd allow it.

Dread Carapace (Totem):

As you pounce, do you get to make multiple fear checks?
Actually, it just says that if you charge, you make your opponents shaken, mentions nothing about attacks.

Sphinx Claws (Hands)

Can this ability stack with Pounce? It's not pounce, because you don't get a full attack, you get something remarkabley like pounce "When you use the
charge action, at the end of your charge you can make a full attack using any natural weapons you possess"
I would say yes, as it isn't pounce, so you could have both effects.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-09, 11:39 PM
Thunderstep boots:

The use of the singular, "Your attack" "If you hit with a melee attack," strongly suggests it applies to only to the first attack on a pouncing charge. There's -some- room for interpretation since a charge only usually allows a single attack but given that sphinx claws are available it's a bit dodgy.

Dread Carapace:

There are no checks involved for the totemist. Only the will saves made by those within 60 feet when he charges. No matter how many attacks he makes at the end of that charge he only charges once so each foe that's in range only has to make a single will save.

Sphinx claws:

This is functionally identical to pounce with an added restriction. In both cases you're given the ability to make a full attack at the end of the charge. You don't get to make two full attacks just because you have both abilities.

Urskan Greaves:

Same as thunderstep boots but the existence of sphinx claws is even more damning to the idea that it applies to multiple attacks since sphinx claws are on the same list.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-09, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the responses!!!!!

I WISH I HAD A MORE CLEAR (and favorable) ANSWER ON THUNDERSTEP BOOTS!

Sad as it is to say, I think my build may end up dropping incarnum other than umbral disciple all together... this makes me very sad.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-10, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately that's as clear an answer as you're likely to get. There's nothing in the text to make a definitive call one way or the other. In all honesty I'd make the call based on the game's expected level of power. No if we're going low-op, yes if we're going past the upper end of mid-op, and probably no in the middle since I tend to err on the side of caution.

Irk is definitely wrong about the sphinx claws though. Both its hands bind and pounce let you substitute a full attack for the normal attack you normally get. You can sub out one thing for two.

Irk
2014-01-10, 12:23 AM
Irk is definitely wrong about the sphinx claws though. Both its hands bind and pounce let you substitute a full attack for the normal attack you normally get. You can sub out one thing for two.
Aww, rereading it, you are right kelb. Sorry Ghengis, my mistake.

EDIT: also, in my interpretation for urskan greaves, I wasn't saying that it activates on each attack, but just on the first. Kelb and I agreed on everything else.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-10, 12:27 AM
and probably no in the middle since I tend to err on the side of caution.

yeah... me too.... :'(

You'd be better off with a level or 4 of scout.... (than thunderstep butts)

Irk
2014-01-10, 12:30 AM
yeah... me too.... :'(

You'd be better off with a level or 4 of scout.... (than thunderstep butts)

Just take rogue 3 / scout 2 with improved skirmish and swift ambusher for +6d6 precision damage.