PDA

View Full Version : Sniper character. (3.5)

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-09, 11:41 PM
Theres this concept I once thought... I was wondering if anyone would help me with a build, or at least which classes are better suited.

I won't bore anyone with details, but the concept goes like this:
The character has inherited a sniper rifle (it came from another dimensioooonnnn) (I'm gonna be using a homebrewed one unless an actual one exists) magically augmented by an artificer, yada yada.

While maintaining 11+ skills per level, how can I optimize a character to also wield this sniper rifle with proficiency? (Im guessing bigger crit range, or precision dmg? what can I do) (like which feats and stuff. Only thing thats sure are the following 3:

Human or Lesser tiefling character
Probably taking Able Learner (tiefling should qualify)
Taking Darkstalker.

for all feats and stuff, the sniper counts as a heavy crossbow. With a cartridge of 5 bullets.

If anyone needs to have the stats of the sniper ill post them, but since its homebrew material im not sure im allowed to in this forum...

Divide by Zero
2014-01-09, 11:50 PM
Well, I found this (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1959091).

And mentioning homebrew stuff here is fine, it's just creating it that's limited to the homebrew forum.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-10, 12:02 AM
Rogue 1/ Martial Monk 1/ Factotum 8/ Targetteer Fighter 1/ Ardent 1/ Mindbender 1/ X 7.

The X depends a bit more on the specifics. I mean two levels of Arcane Archer would go great if your DM ruled that Imbue Arrow applies to bullets but otherwise it would suck. Some more Rogue would get you more skill points. Three levels of Swashbuckler would up your melee potential significantly. Some Swordsage could work.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 12:13 AM
Rogue 1/ Martial Monk 1/ Factotum 8/ Targetteer Fighter 1/ Ardent 1/ Mindbender 1/ X 7.

The X depends a bit more on the specifics. I mean two levels of Arcane Archer would go great if your DM ruled that Imbue Arrow applies to bullets but otherwise it would suck. Some more Rogue would get you more skill points. Three levels of Swashbuckler would up your melee potential significantly. Some Swordsage could work.

its a ranged focused build, melee isnt there :O

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-10, 12:20 AM
its a ranged focused build, melee isnt there :O

Then don't fill the last seven levels with melee focused levels.

Irk
2014-01-10, 12:20 AM
How about Piggy Knowles' archer sniper from his archer builds thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284283)? it's the second-to-last build on the list.

Snowbluff
2014-01-10, 12:33 AM
Hmm... the monk level in Tippy's build is a bit of a waste depending on your build, especially if Martial Monk isn't allowed. Decisive Strike would be awesome, but crossbows can not be monk weapons like bows can, as far as I can tell.

The sniper's shot spell and sneak attack with craven would be pretty good for single hint damage. If Hunter's Mercy can be combined with it, you get a free crit. Order some Kaorti Resin bullets for the better multiplier.

Rapid Reload and Crossbrow Sniper are handy for any crossbow build. If your sniper counts as a hand crossbow (or it's aptitude), you can use Hand Crossbow Focus.

Vizzerdrix
2014-01-10, 01:17 PM
Don't forget a gnome sight from A&EG.

Azoth
2014-01-10, 01:33 PM
Could always do a Swift Hunter build using the Scout Sniper ACF. Throw Self Loading and Quick Loading on your sniper rifle for free action reloading and it holding a 100 round clip that you choose the ammo for each shot freely.

Convince your DM that skirmish qualifies for Craven and use it.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 03:12 PM
Is there anyway to optimize a single shot weapon? (the sniper has stats similar to the great crossbow from Races of stone) I don't know how I would be able to fire more than once each turn with it.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-10, 03:26 PM
Check out my Murderous Sniper, in the archer compendium in my sig. It focuses on making a single powerful shot that deals hundreds of points of damage, poisons, and deals 20+ points of Charisma damage to boot.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-10, 03:34 PM
Is there anyway to optimize a single shot weapon? (the sniper has stats similar to the great crossbow from Races of stone) I don't know how I would be able to fire more than once each turn with it.

Factotum 4. Add 90 or so d6 worth of sneak attack damage to one attack per combat, and you can practically guarantee that it hits as well.

Weapon Supremacy to take 10, True Strike (from Factotum or Gloves of the Master Strategist) for +20, Cunning Insight for +Int. Have 30 Int and you are now guaranteed a hit on anything with an AC under 40. You can push that even higher with minimal effort.

Then there is Surge of Fortune (cleric 5), which you can expend as an immediate action to make any d20 roll a natural 20, including your attack roll. Combine that with Weapon Supremacy to confirm the critical hit and you can guarantee a crit once per round theoretically.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 03:41 PM
Check out my Murderous Sniper, in the archer compendium in my sig. It focuses on making a single powerful shot that deals hundreds of points of damage, poisons, and deals 20+ points of Charisma damage to boot.
But how would I be able to get power shot with a crossbow?

Factotum 4. Add 90 or so d6 worth of sneak attack damage to one attack per combat, and you can practically guarantee that it hits as well.

Weapon Supremacy to take 10, True Strike (from Factotum or Gloves of the Master Strategist) for +20, Cunning Insight for +Int. Have 30 Int and you are now guaranteed a hit on anything with an AC under 40. You can push that even higher with minimal effort.

Then there is Surge of Fortune (cleric 5), which you can expend as an immediate action to make any d20 roll a natural 20, including your attack roll. Combine that with Weapon Supremacy to confirm the critical hit and you can guarantee a crit once per round theoretically.

How do you get 90 inspiration points? O.o

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-10, 05:58 PM
But how would I be able to get power shot with a crossbow?

You can regain Power Shot by taking some levels in Peerless Archer. That said, it's nice but not required. 24 points of Charisma damage alone is enough to take out 95% of the Monster Manual. You can get back similar damage by dipping in more static damage bonuses that benefit from the x6 critting fun, such as taking Emperor Tippy's favorite Martial Monk dip for Weapon Supremacy. Ranger 2/Wilderness Feat Rogue 2/Martial Monk 2/Chameleon 7/Deepwood Sniper 7 would actually come out ahead of the current build on feats, and you could put out comparable damage.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-10, 06:08 PM
How do you get 90 inspiration points? O.o
Take Font of Inspiration lots and lots. Thirteen times nets you 91 Inspiration Points.