PDA

View Full Version : Paragnostic Apostle Planar Binder?

Avigor
2014-01-10, 12:31 AM
Discern Weakness increases your save DC's against enemies who match a type from the Ranger favored enemy list, which can include various subtypes of Outsider. It doesn't specify a bonus type, which unless I'm mistaken means stacking should work.

So would this mean that if one were to have this feature for two Outsider subtypes and encounter something with both (not so uncommon for a moral + an ethical alignment combo), one would effectively get a +2 bonus?

Or am I missing something?

If this does work, than shouldn't this class be near or at the top of the heap for Planar Binding enthusiasts?

Between Discern Weakness, Piercing Insight, and possibly even Energy Supremacy (remember the rules with Binding spells and subtypes), you're stacking several bonuses.

If there was a domain that included Planar Binding (which I am unaware of), then even Divine Understanding might help too, albeit if you specialize into Chaotic Evil Fire creatures or somesuch you might have to give up something.

Thoughts?

Zanos
2014-01-10, 04:05 AM
Whether or not it stacks, it's not all that relevant for planar binding. Planar binding is typically a downtime spell, so if something makes it's will save, you can just cast it again.

The thing you really need to optimize is the charisma check, because if you fail that, you can't bargain with that creature for 24 hours, and you probably aren't getting a +6 bonus to your cha check for a deal of "be my slave for 1day per CL."