PDA

View Full Version : Artificer, what do?

Cranthis
2014-01-10, 03:05 AM
I come to you again forumers. Foruminiums? Anyways. I require help with an Artificer. He is going to mainly be crafting (of course) and buffing. The main issue is feats. Flaws are available. Level 10.

The only feats I can think to take are Mithral body, Exceptional Artisan, Extraordinary, Legendary, Craft Construct, and Fell Drain. That leaves 2 feat slots open. More if I'm convinced to get rid of one of these.

Help is appreciated.

Eldariel
2014-01-10, 03:10 AM
Metamagic is good. You have Metamagic Item infusion, among other things, which is one of your best infusions and applies metamagic effects to items for effectively free. Extend and Persistent Spell are solid choices. Persist on your Wand of Whatever Buff Spell is always nice. Doubly so if it's an Eternal Wand.

If you want to blast with Metamagic Spell Trigger, you also want stuff like Split Ray, Twin Spell, Empower Spell & Energy Admixture. Just be careful with your choice of Wands so you can apply the metamagic you have available to it.

Roga
2014-01-10, 03:59 AM
Magical Artisan [General] (from Player's Guide to Faerun, pg 41)
Basically gives you another 25% discount in costs (gp, xp, and time) to a specific Item creation feat. Good to stack with the other artisan feats for stuff like Craft construct. The problem is you need to have said feat to discount, so you can't get this for Craft Construct at level one with Flaws.

Mercantile Background [Regional] (Same Book and Page)
Lets you sell things at 75% instead of 50%, and 1/Month you can buy something at a 25% discount. Sounds like you're running Ebberon, so you'll need to talk to your DM about using a regional feat from Faerun, but it's easy to argue that someone can be Mercantile in Eberron. This, combined with cheaper costs for crafting, let you quickly build up funds as an Artificer. I use it to buy Golem Manuals(pg 258 DMG), which I crack open for all the juicy juicy XP inside that I pour into my craft reserve. This is the most cost efficient way to load XP back into your reserve using Retain Essence.

Also, if you're going Warforged, I recommend getting a Dedicated Wright (Pg 285 Eb Camp Set). The Homunculus that can craft for you, and a Portable Hole with which to load with your crafting lab. You can work down there with him, since you don't need to breath, and your Golems give you a combat presence on the surface.

Yogibear41
2014-01-10, 04:56 AM
You should have a look at the warforged substitution levels for artificer from the races of eberron, the 1st level basically gives you something for nothing, and the 4th and 5th levels are worth thinking about depending on what you plan on creating\play style.

Dromuthra
2014-01-10, 05:06 AM
There's also the Apprentice feat from DMG II that provides a nice flat 10% reduction to creation costs. Downside is that it needs to be taken at first level, so if you want it in your build you have to plan for it.

Rubik
2014-01-10, 05:37 AM
Item creation cost reducers:

Craft Dreamgift (Hyperconscious) - Makes crafting crazy-cheap. Items made with this feat require no prereqs other than Craft Dreamgift and the appropriate manifester/caster level, require only half the manifester/caster level of a normal item of its type, and costs 1/4 the normal price for that type of item. Just make sure you're immune to ability damage or can cure it easily.

Shield Dwarf Warder (Races of Faerun): -75% gp and xp costs on crafting magical items

Legendary Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting): -25% xp costs on crafting magical items

Extraordinary Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting): -25% gp costs on crafting magical items

Magical Artisan (Player's Guide to Faerun): -25% gp costs on crafting magical items for one item creation feat (Add it to Extraordinary Artisan or something, so it always applies)

Apprentice (Craftsman) (DMG II): -25% gp costs for one item creation feat (Add it to Extraordinary Artisan or something, so it always applies)

Mercantile Background (Player's Guide to Faerun): -10% cost on all item creation; sell at 75% market value; 1/month buy item at 75% market value; gain extra 300 gp at character creation

[edit] Swordsaged! Mostly!

Yogibear41
2014-01-10, 07:24 AM
The shield dwarf feats are only 5% less gold, one feat for weapons and one feat for armor(unless there is an errata I don't know about), and I'm pretty sure magical artisan cannot be applied to the artisan feats from Eberron, they have to be applied to an actual item creation such as craft wondrous item.

prufock
2014-01-10, 08:03 AM
Favored in Guild (DMGII) for an arcane guild is another -5% to the gp cost if you choose an arcane guild. If that arcane guild is a Wizard's Circle of Sharn, it also applies to xp.

I wish "I have too many feat slots!" was a problem I had more often. Usually it's the opposite.

Roga
2014-01-10, 03:38 PM
I just looked them up, and RAW you can take Magical Artisan (PGtF) and apply it to one of the Eberron Artisan feats to get it all the time, but it certainly isn't RAI. I could see the argument for either side, but I'd probably rule against this particular trick in my game.

Cranthis
2014-01-13, 06:35 AM
We are using a homebrew setting, and once I can, It will be golem building and whatnot. Obviously with some items for the party.

kkplx
2014-01-13, 12:10 PM
I just looked them up, and RAW you can take Magical Artisan (PGtF) and apply it to one of the Eberron Artisan feats to get it all the time, but it certainly isn't RAI. I could see the argument for either side, but I'd probably rule against this particular trick in my game.

It's not RAW at all.

"Choose one item creation feat that you possess. When you make an item with that feat, you pay only 75% of the normal cost to create the item."

compared to
"When determining the time you need to craft any item, reduce the base time by 25%."
and its equivalents.

You don't create any items with the Artisan feats, you just gain reductions in the prices you pay. Requirement for the Magical Artisan feat is both [Item Creation] and the feat being part of the [Requirements] field of an item being crafted.

Rubik
2014-01-13, 12:13 PM
It's not RAW at all.

"Choose one item creation feat that you possess. When you make an item with that feat, you pay only 75% of the normal cost to create the item."

compared to
"When determining the time you need to craft any item, reduce the base time by 25%."
and its equivalents.

You don't create any items with the Artisan feats, you just gain reductions in the prices you pay. Requirement for the Magical Artisan feat is both [Item Creation] and the feat being part of the [Requirements] field of an item being crafted.Actually, according to the description of Magical Artisan, the [Requirements] field isn't required at all, just that the item be made using the feat in question. And the [X] Artisan feats from Eberron are all [Item Creation] feats, and so satisfy the requirements for Magical Artisan.