PDA

View Full Version : Faerun and Krynn

j_spencer93
2014-01-10, 03:53 AM
would it be possible to travel to the world of Krynn in some manner from Faerun?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-10, 04:00 AM
In theory, there may be a connection between the two by crossing through the deep shadow plane. See MotP for details.

Old school canon says there's a portal to where you want to go somewhere in sigil regardless of where that is.

j_spencer93
2014-01-10, 04:07 AM
oddly the shadow plane is exactly where the character that would travel is located, and is aligned with Shar so theoretically he could do this. Cool.

j_spencer93
2014-01-10, 04:08 AM
Also i know nothing of Sigil, going to pick up alot of books this year to read and a few games to hopefully learn more on dnd, also really hoping dnd next is good, 4.0 rubbed me wrong for some reason.

Alleran
2014-01-10, 04:48 AM
Assuming Great Wheel, very easily.

Assuming Spelljammer, also very easily.

Assuming seperate cosmologies? Shadow Plane, Plane of Dreams, World Serpent Inn... so yeah, still pretty easy, as long as you can get to the planes. Or just the World Serpent Inn. That place solves so many problems of traveling between worlds.

You could go and ask afro in his Planar Questions thread for some more specific ways of getting there.

j_spencer93
2014-01-10, 04:55 AM
Plane of Shadows works perfectly.

Melcar
2014-01-10, 06:17 AM
Yes... In Dragon Magazine there were some short strories by Ed Greenwood, where Elminster, Mordenkainen and a drow from krynn visited each other to eat cake and share spells. So its indeed very possible.

In olden times it was fairly easy. But now 3.5 I'm not so sure though. (cosmology is not my strong suit). On way I do know of, is by re writing the ancient spell called Valdick's Spheresail which was level 10. It should be quite easy to rewrite that somehow. But that again was for spell-jamming ships.

The spell Gate might actually work just fine?

Drachasor
2014-01-10, 06:27 AM
Yes... In Dragon Magazine there were some short strories by Ed Greenwood, where Elminster, Mordenkainen and a drow from krynn visited each other to eat cake and share spells. So its indeed very possible.

Dalamar was a Dark Elf, not a Drow. Krynn doesn't have Drow. Dark Elves are just Elves who get tossed out of Elven lands for one reason or another. IIRC, in Dalamar's case it was because he was a Wizard of the Black Robes and the Elves don't like that sort of thing (e.g. evil wizards).

Anyhow, they were fun short stories.

Melcar
2014-01-10, 06:36 AM
Dalamar was a Dark Elf, not a Drow. Krynn doesn't have Drow. Dark Elves are just Elves who get tossed out of Elven lands for one reason or another. IIRC, in Dalamar's case it was because he was a Wizard of the Black Robes and the Elves don't like that sort of thing (e.g. evil wizards).

Anyhow, they were fun short stories.

Ahh... I did not know. But yeah fun stories!

Alleran
2014-01-10, 08:01 AM
IIRC, in Dalamar's case it was because he was a Wizard of the Black Robes and the Elves don't like that sort of thing (e.g. evil wizards).
Basically. If I remember rightly, any non-white robe elf wizard is given the boot.

Hecuba
2014-01-10, 09:55 AM
Assuming Great Wheel, very easily.

The Great Wheel is explicitly not used in Krynn, but this is still largely accurate, as the Transitive planes are present.

It is however, unclear precisely where one would need to go in the transitive planes to get there after big T stole the world. This is problematic, though significantly less so that when she it was also actively hidden.

Assuming Spelljammer, also very easily.
The spheres were practically neighbors before, but the world-theft is again problematic: where in the flow Krynn is now that it is no longer in Krynnspace?

BWR
2014-01-10, 09:59 AM
Is Krynn actually not in Krynnspace any more, or has Krynnspace just changed?

tadkins
2014-01-10, 10:35 AM
This thread leads me to believe that if it's possible to travel between two different worlds such as Krynn and Faerun, it might be possible to travel to *any* world...

Kingdom Hearts-style campaign anyone? :)

Segev
2014-01-10, 10:42 AM
Just to try to formalize the list:

Spelljammer (fly between the crystal spheres)
Planescape (Sigil is the City of Doors and there are portals to everywhere)
Inner Planes (Elemental Planes and the Energy Planes all surround the Prime for both settings)
Transitive planes (Astral, Ethereal, Shadow, etc.: exit Prime from one world to one of these planes and travel back to Prime in another world from said plane)

That's about it. Gate, oddly, wouldn't work: they're both Prime worlds. You'd need to Gate twice: once to some other plane, then a second time to get back.

BWR
2014-01-10, 12:12 PM
Spells: Plane Shift would work, going to another plane, then back with another spell.
Worldwalk might work. It allows other 'dimensions', but FR and AD&D never had dimensions as part of their cosmology, so they might mean other Prime worlds, which are sometimes considered as different dimensions rather than the same dimension only different places.

The Travel spell from BECMI would probably work the same as Plane Shift only better (8th level, 10 rds/ level, 1 extra creature /5 levels, ability to become gaseous and can shift every 10 rounds).

Alleran
2014-01-10, 12:15 PM
The "transport travelers" clause of Wish is the most reliable method of moving around at the very high levels. One spell, and it takes you anywhere you can possibly conceive of, a guaranteed safe trip and arrival no matter the local conditions.

Dawgmoah
2014-01-10, 01:57 PM
This thread leads me to believe that if it's possible to travel between two different worlds such as Krynn and Faerun, it might be possible to travel to *any* world...

Kingdom Hearts-style campaign anyone? :)

Way back when we all had a multi-connected, multi-campaign world setting or whatever you want to call it. Some of those DMs have either moved on, quite playing, or died. But I still have about two hundred worlds (alternate prime material planes in 1st edition speak) mapped out and ready to drop in where needed. Since they were all created using 1st edition rules I have to update them when they come into play now. But yes, multi-planar or world gaming is fun and makes a lot of the monsters in the various monster manuals more useful.

Just to try to formalize the list:

Spelljammer (fly between the crystal spheres)
Planescape (Sigil is the City of Doors and there are portals to everywhere)
Inner Planes (Elemental Planes and the Energy Planes all surround the Prime for both settings)
Transitive planes (Astral, Ethereal, Shadow, etc.: exit Prime from one world to one of these planes and travel back to Prime in another world from said plane)

That's about it. Gate, oddly, wouldn't work: they're both Prime worlds. You'd need to Gate twice: once to some other plane, then a second time to get back.

Faerun has portals all over the place as well as fey mounds, Sparks and other potential plane altering areas. Don't forget the items out of the Planar Handbook like the Planar Sailer, Astral Skiff, Gate Zeppelin, Ethereal Tunneler, Living Astral Ship, or even an Elsewhale. Then, depending on what splat books you allow, there are things in the Iron Kingdoms and other settings which can traverse the planes. Eberron ships could possibly be modified by someone who knows how and where to go. And I'm sure I'm not the only DM over the years to have a spelljammer fall onto their world. Lots of fun and endless opportunities.

afroakuma
2014-01-10, 03:23 PM
There are no direct links between the two, but indirect links via the planes or spelljamming still exist. The Outer Planes are historically embargoed on Krynn, but the Inner and Transitive Planes work just fine. There has been travel between the two in the past and there will be again.

Kaje
2014-01-10, 05:04 PM
I think it would be awesome to play a "Crisis on Infinite Prime Material Planes"-type campaign. Have the characters each come from a different campaign setting. Start them in Greyhawk, then work through Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, DragonMech, Ghostwalk, Dragonstar, Ravenloft, etc, battling against (Or maybe working with? Maybe change is good?) some nigh-unstoppable force trying to destroy or change everything.

I like to think that the "good guys" are maybe working for the triumvirate of Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Raistlin.

Krobar
2014-01-10, 05:18 PM
Spelljammer is how we have always done it.

tadkins
2014-01-10, 08:02 PM
I think it would be awesome to play a "Crisis on Infinite Prime Material Planes"-type campaign. Have the characters each come from a different campaign setting. Start them in Greyhawk, then work through Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, DragonMech, Ghostwalk, Dragonstar, Ravenloft, etc, battling against (Or maybe working with? Maybe change is good?) some nigh-unstoppable force trying to destroy or change everything.

I like to think that the "good guys" are maybe working for the triumvirate of Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Raistlin.

I've got a crazy campaign idea involving a world-destroying evil that the universe bands together against. Except that the aforementioned D&D worlds have already been destroyed, with refugees from each existing on the campaign's homeworld. This would be cool I think because it would let people play whatever they want; a party can have a Warforged from Eberron, a cleric of Mystra, someone from Athas, etc etc.

Except, it doesn't stop there. As the party takes on the quest to save the worlds that are intact, they will be sent all across the known universe to fight against the forces that seek to subvert and destroy them. They might travel from Middle-Earth, to Azeroth, and so forth. Perhaps a portal spell could go wrong, with the party blacking out and waking aboard the Enterprise!

One of these days when I sit down and actually DM it, this is the campaign setting I'd like to go with. It's a bit "out there" to some, I realize, but it could be fun.

What do you guys think? xD

russdm
2014-01-10, 08:23 PM
someone from Athas

You do understand that in all D&D Canon that Athas is unconnected from every single plane beyond a few such as the elemental ones by the Gray and that the Githyanki with red dragons!! failed to invade and left a mark saying "Avoid like the plague" for other planer travelers? Do you really want to mess with this place?

tadkins
2014-01-10, 08:26 PM
You do understand that in all D&D Canon that Athas is unconnected from every single plane beyond a few such as the elemental ones by the Gray and that the Githyanki with red dragons!! failed to invade and left a mark saying "Avoid like the plague" for other planer travelers? Do you really want to mess with this place?

I actually had no idea.

But still, this would only make my godlike BBEG look like even more of a threat.

Gemini476
2014-01-10, 08:53 PM

Eh, not really. You can get through the Grey if you try, it's just really difficult (and may end up with you trapped in the Grey).

There's a group of Athasian halflings in Sigil, for instance. And you had the Githyanki invading, of course.

I think one of the dragon-kings also had a mirror-portal that led out to the other planes?

Also, I think I remember something about the Athasian Crystal Sphere being somewhere out there, although it was very dangerous to get to (and even moreso to get out of).

Oh, and the Elemental Planes of Dark Sun are a bit different.

As is the cosmology of Eberron, by the way. That place isn't even in the Flow, so you need the Plane of Shadow to get there.

Mashashige
2014-01-10, 09:34 PM
A bit of a tangent, but seems to fit the thread regardless:

Is there a handbook/thread/etc that tries to detail and explain the metaphysics/ontology of the dnd universe? - that is, all the different cosmologies, planes, locales and such, dealing specifically with those that are not unique to specific campaign settings?

Alleran
2014-01-10, 09:38 PM

Is there a handbook/thread/etc that tries to detail and explain the metaphysics/ontology of the dnd universe? - that is, all the different cosmologies, planes, locales and such, dealing specifically with those that are not unique to specific campaign settings?
You can try afro's question thread if you have queries.

afroakuma
2014-01-10, 09:40 PM

That would indeed be my department, yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317316)

Mashashige
2014-01-10, 09:46 PM
That would indeed be my department, yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317316)

Awesome, thanks :)

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-10, 09:48 PM
Can I get a link, afro, to anywhere they detail what crystal spheres are? I'm a 2e veteran, but this info never reached my ears, and the modern incarnations of Spelljammer and such have been so intermittent that I just don't know where to look. I know the vague idea, but not any specifics about how they work, how to cross them, implications for spelljamming.

Any help you can offer would be great.

afroakuma
2014-01-10, 09:52 PM
Can I get a link, afro, to anywhere they detail what crystal spheres are? I'm a 2e veteran, but this info never reached my ears, and the modern incarnations of Spelljammer and such have been so intermittent that I just don't know where to look. I know the vague idea, but not any specifics about how they work, how to cross them, implications for spelljamming.

Any help you can offer would be great.

The basics. (http://spelljammer.wikia.com/wiki/Crystal_sphere) Any further questions, please come to my thread. No need to clutter this one with off-topic.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-10, 10:01 PM
Figured it wasn't terribly off-topic, as spelljamming from Faerun to Krynn would cross a crystal sphere, if I understand it correctly. Thanks for the link.

TrollCapAmerica
2014-01-10, 10:51 PM
I so wish Spelljammer was updated for 3.5 properly.If for nothing else to get rid of the Lorraine Williams stink of all the absolutists "NAH UUUHHHH you cant do that.You have to follow the story forever and keep buying our products" crap om every setting