PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Crossblooded Dragon Disciple (and some other DD Questions)

Hytheter
2014-01-10, 06:08 AM
So Dragon Disciple Right?

A dragon disciple adds his level to his sorcerer levels when determining the powers gained from his bloodline. If the dragon disciple does not have levels of sorcerer, he instead gains bloodline powers of the draconic bloodline, using his dragon disciple level as his sorcerer level to determine the bonuses gained. He must choose a dragon type upon gaining his first level in this class and that type must be the same as his sorcerer type. This ability does not grant bonus spells to a sorcerer unless he possesses spell slots of an appropriate level. Such bonus spells are automatically granted if the sorcerer gains spell slots of the spell's level.
Question Time:
Although the pre-requisites for DD specify that Sorcerous Entrants must have the Draconic Bloodline, the Blood of Dragons Class Feature doesn't actually specify that you have to choose your bloodline powers from Draconic. So could a Crossblooded therefore choose to instead select Bloodline Powers from his other bloodline?

This could have some weird interaction with the Dragon Disciple's other Class Features, mainly Breath and Wings. Would I still get these Class Features if I then didn't choose the relevant Bloodline Powers? And what if I chose the power before gaining the class feature, or even before entering the Prestige Class? At the very least I would think opting out of the Bloodline Powers would exclude you from the "Once his level is high enough to grant this ability through the bloodline" bonuses".

Also, not strictly related to Crossblooded, but: When it says "A dragon disciple adds his level to his sorcerer levels when determining the powers gained from his bloodline", does powers gained from his bloodline refer specifically to his Bloodline Powers or does it also apply to Bonus Spells? I'm assuming it does, due the line about Spells in the description, but I wanted to clarify. And again, if so, can these Spells be chosen from a Crossblooded's other Bloodline?

If you're wondering, I'm pondering the possibility of a Draconic/Sage Crossblooded Sorcerer/DD. (Don't even say it - for the purposes of this discussion Wizards do not exist)

grarrrg
2014-01-10, 11:18 AM
This could have some weird interaction with the Dragon Disciple's other Class Features, mainly Breath and Wings. Would I still get these Class Features if I then didn't choose the relevant Bloodline Powers? And what if I chose the power before gaining the class feature, or even before entering the Prestige Class? At the very least I would think opting out of the Bloodline Powers would exclude you from the "Once his level is high enough to grant this ability through the bloodline" bonuses".

There is no hard ruling on this, but here's some decent guidelines (and they ARE up for debate, I'm just shooting for 'reasonable'):
Dragon Bite requires you use your Claws power to get a Bite: No Claws > No Bite.
Natural Armor actually takes care of itself, as it doesn't reference the Bloodline at all (other than the "stacks with any" clause).
Breath Weapon Wings: You get the 'Dragon Disciple only' bonuses until/unless you take the matching Bloodline Power.

Also, not strictly related to Crossblooded, but: When it says "A dragon disciple adds his level to his sorcerer levels when determining the powers gained from his bloodline", does powers gained from his bloodline refer specifically to his Bloodline Powers or does it also apply to Bonus Spells? I'm assuming it does, due the line about Spells in the description, but I wanted to clarify. And again, if so, can these Spells be chosen from a Crossblooded's other Bloodline?

Yes you get the Bloodline Spells.
Yes they can be from the Cross-blood-line.
Which is handy cause "Form of Dragon 1", "Form of Dragon 2", and "Form of Dragon 3" is pretty darned redundant, ESPECIALLY since you get Spell-Likes that do the exact same thing from Dragon Disciple.

If you're wondering, I'm pondering the possibility of a Draconic/Sage Crossblooded Sorcerer/DD. (Don't even say it - for the purposes of this discussion Wizards do not exist)

Do a google search (include "site: giantitp.com"), there have been a variety of Crossblood Disciple posts on this site.
Sage-Disciple has been theorized, but generally rejected (unless you _really_ want the Skill Points). This is mainly due to the Disciple being a "smash face" type of caster, and Sage adding nothing to the martial side.
Orc/Abyssal come up often due to the 9th level "gain STR" bloodline ability.

Hytheter
2014-01-10, 09:48 PM
Thanks, those guidelines seem the most logical. I guess the issue arises because DD's publication precedes Crossblooded somewhat...
And yeah, that was my thought exactly with Form of the Dragon. You can slowly turn into a Dragon, and then turn into a Dragon, and then turn into a Dragon again...

Part of the reason I though Sage DD might work is that DD boosts your Int, and I figured getting a boost to your casting stat instead of your dump stat is probably not a bad thing.
But you're right, Orc looks pretty sexy, moreso than Abyssal (the Str boosting is the same but the Arcana and 15th level Abilities seem way better to me). Arcane grants some nice spells though... then again, I can just take those spells anyway.

Thanks for your help.

edit: Oh lol, I did a Google Search and now see that you're speaking from experience (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229425) haha.

grarrrg
2014-01-10, 10:42 PM
edit: Oh lol, I did a Google Search and now see that you're speaking from experience (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229425) haha.
Pretty much yeah. :smallwink:

Hytheter
2014-01-10, 10:54 PM
Oh, I do have another question:
Does the 1st Draconic Bloodline Power let you qualify for Natural Weapon feats suck as Multiattack? I'm guessing not, but it'd be nice...

grarrrg
2014-01-11, 02:06 AM
Oh, I do have another question:
Does the 1st Draconic Bloodline Power let you qualify for Natural Weapon feats suck as Multiattack? I'm guessing not, but it'd be nice...

Technically no.
Generally only Permanent abilities/stats/etc... count for Feat qualifications (and in some cases, like Stats, having a bonus for 24+ hours counts as 'permanent').

A more lenient DM may allow you to take the feat anyway, but only allow it to work when the Requirements are met.