PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft III Mapmaking Help Needed Again

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-21, 04:29 PM
Warning: Long Explanation Ahead.

Alright, so I've started making custom games for Warcraft III: The Frozen throne again, and I've come across a... snag, I suppose.

One of my games, which is almost to the Beta stage, is a Castle Defense map. To those not familiar, you choose a hero, and defend a certain building from oncoming waves of enemies.

To make mine not "Just Another Castle Defense", I added a twist, which was that you improved only through equipment, no leveling whatsoever.

And heres the thing; for some reason gold bounties don't work. I have the Gold Bounty Awarded Base/Dice/Sides Per Die set up for each enemy, and yet whenever I kill any of them (In the game), it gives me no gold. Which eliminates the purpose of the whole thing, really.

I checked the Triggers, nothing on Gold bounties, I checked Gameplay Constants, nada. So if anyone could tell a newbie how to enable gold bounties upon killing an enemy... I'd appreciate it.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-21, 06:07 PM
There is a trigger to activate gold bounties against foes controlled by a normal player, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Let me look for my disk and take a look for you.

EDIT: Found it! Player - Turn Player Flag On/Off. "Turn [Gives Bounty/Unfollowable/Allied Victory] [On/Off] for [Select Player]"

You want to turn 'Gives Bounty' on at map initilization for whichever player is being used for the attackers.

What would you do without me?

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-21, 08:03 PM
Thanks so much! *happy dance*

Now, I have another question, how do I keep a certain 5 units from leaving a region? The friendly AI's guards keep getting father from the base and getting themselves killed faster than I'd like. I know that theres a "If Unit Leaves Region" Event, but that applies to ANY unit leaving the region, and I'm awful with Conditions.

After that, I *think* it's just balance issues, but I'll continue to post with questions I have if they arise.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-21, 08:11 PM
You'll have to put those units into a Unit Group and use Conditions to specify that the unit leaving the region is from that Unit Group. It's been many months since I've played with this editor and I never used Unit Groups much, so I can't tell you the specifics. Someone else might be able to help better on that.

Gralamin
2007-01-21, 09:21 PM
You'll have to put those units into a Unit Group and use Conditions to specify that the unit leaving the region is from that Unit Group. It's been many months since I've played with this editor and I never used Unit Groups much, so I can't tell you the specifics. Someone else might be able to help better on that.

Umm why do it that way?

Event: If unit leaves region "Castle"
Condition: unit-type of triggering unit = (Guard unit)
Action: unit - move to region "Castle"

If you have multiple types of guard units you can just use or (such as:)
unit-type of triggering unit = (Guard unit1) or unit-type of triggering unit = (Guard unit2) or etc.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-21, 09:24 PM
Umm why do it that way?

Event: If unit leaves region "Castle"
Condition: unit-type of triggering unit = (Guard unit)
Action: unit - move to region "Castle"

If you have multiple types of guard units you can just use or (such as:)
unit-type of triggering unit = (Guard unit1) or unit-type of triggering unit = (Guard unit2) or etc.

Can you specify multiple unit-types? It's been awhile since I've worked with those triggers. Though, depending on how many unit types he's using, creating a unit group may be easier...

Gralamin
2007-01-21, 09:28 PM
Can you specify multiple unit-types? It's been awhile since I've worked with those triggers. Though, depending on how many unit types he's using, creating a unit group may be easier...

Why? He has 5 units, with 5 unit types he can just use or a lot. Not only that Unit groups cause bugs, they are very inefficient (I personally try to use JASS when I can)

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-21, 09:40 PM
To answer your question, there are 4 Guards and 1 Lieutenant, so two types.

Alright, I'll give that a try, Gralamin.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-21, 09:45 PM
Why? He has 5 units, with 5 unit types he can just use or a lot.

He has 5 units, that doesn't mean he may not at some point swap out those unit types for other units (though it has been verified that there will be only two unit types). If there were, say, 40+ unit types that could fit in that region depending on what he wants, then specifying each unit type that would be subject to this would be very inefficient. I was trying not to jump to conclusions that he had a small number of unit types by leaving options open. :P

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-21, 10:00 PM
And it works! I think the map's near play-able, now. Thank you both!

My happy bubble will most likely be burst with a new glitch soon, but until then I think I'm good.

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 12:45 AM
He has 5 units, that doesn't mean he may not at some point swap out those unit types for other units (though it has been verified that there will be only two unit types). If there were, say, 40+ unit types that could fit in that region depending on what he wants, then specifying each unit type that would be subject to this would be very inefficient. I was trying not to jump to conclusions that he had a small number of unit types by leaving options open. :P

I can't let a point go.

It'd be more efficient to define maybe 5 variables of unit-type, and switch them every time the unit switches.
Unit groups are mostly used for spells.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-22, 12:47 AM
I can't let a point go.

It'd be more efficient to define maybe 5 variables of unit-type, and switch them every time the unit switches.
Unit groups are mostly used for spells.

Yes, it would, and I'd personally use variables now that you brought them up and reminded me that they even exist, but it has been a long time since I've used this editor and I'm honestly too lazy to even glance back at them. I don't really care for this argument anymore, so I'm inviting you to drop it. Can we please drop it? I'm tired of it.

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 12:48 AM
Yes, it would, and I'd personally use variables now that you brought them up and reminded me that they even exist, but it has been a long time since I've used this editor and I'm honestly too lazy to even glance at variables. I don't really care for this argument anymore, so I'm inviting you to drop it. Can we please drop it? I'm tired of it.

hehe sure, I'm just bored :smalltongue:

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-22, 10:16 PM
Alright... it's coming along well, but I've hit another critical issue.

Casting items don't work. I don't mean charged items, like potions and scrolls, I mean items that allow you to cast a certain spell while in your inventory with infinite charges. I've seen these work in some games, so I know for sure it's possible, I just don't know how to do it.

Again, aid would be very helpful.

EDIT: Oh yes, also an annual mini-boss spawn doesnt work. I'll put the exact trigger code up in a sec.

EDIT 2:

ICD Spawning B
Events:
Time - Elapsed game time is 900.00 seconds
Conditions:
Actions:
Unit - Create 1 Vhekkigh for Player 12 (Brown) at (Random Point in Spawning Ground 1 <gen>), facing (Position of (Citadel of Rymar 0004 <gen>))
Unit Group - Order units in (Spawning Ground 1 <gen>) to Attack-Move to (Random Point in Castle <gen>)
Game - Display to (All Players) for 4.00 seconds the text: A creature of substantial power has been spotted en route to the Citadel!
Trigger - Run ICD Spawning B <gen> (checking conditions)

Sorry for the text block, but I need help badly.

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 10:20 PM
There should be a tag saying something like "Consumable" make sure its set to off

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-22, 10:32 PM
Under Stats I found "Perishable", and it indeed was "False". The problem isnt that it casts the spell and disappears, like a Consumeable item, its that it doesn't cast the spell at all.

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 10:41 PM
Right, check all the tags, make sure they look like perishable items but not perishable.

as for your trigger:

ICD Spawning B
Events:
Time - Elapsed game time is 900.00 seconds
Conditions:
Actions:
Unit - Create 1 Vhekkigh for Player 12 (Brown) at (Random Point in Spawning Ground 1 <gen>), facing (Position of (Citadel of Rymar 0004 <gen>))
Unit Group - Order units in (Spawning Ground 1 <gen>) to Attack-Move to (Random Point in Castle <gen>)
Game - Display to (All Players) for 4.00 seconds the text: A creature of substantial power has been spotted en route to the Citadel!
Trigger - Run ICD Spawning B <gen> (checking conditions)

I'm guessing it kept spawning over and over?

The Problems have been bolded, remove those two lines and instead use another time event that lets you do it once every x seconds

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-22, 10:44 PM
Perhaps, I couldnt see the other end of the map. Basically what happened was that the text came up, I waited a good minute, and the thing never came. It's certainly a possibility.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-22, 10:53 PM
Perhaps, I couldnt see the other end of the map. Basically what happened was that the text came up, I waited a good minute, and the thing never came. It's certainly a possibility.

Should use cheat codes (most importantly iseedeadpeople) to monitor progress, or, failing that, a simple reveal map trigger for your eyes only while testing the map (if for some crazy reason you're testing it online or over a network game). Makes life much easier if you know what the actual symptoms of the problem are.

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 10:58 PM

*blink*
It should of had a constant string of text appearing, as it should of ignored the event. If it didn't thats because its set up to check the moment you've played for 900 seconds, and never again.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-23, 03:30 PM
Alright, it worked with a different event and actions.

Now... the item fix partially works. Now the items are charged, and simply do not disappear after being used. But the spells have a limited number of charges.

Also, the spell Frostbolt seems not to work at all even when coded the same as the other casting items.

EDIT: Partly resolved, all casting items work fine. Except that they still have limited charges... is there a trigger to reset it, or...

Gralamin
2007-01-24, 12:54 AM
I'd have to take a good look, but its too late for now.