PDA

View Full Version : Favourtie Musical Genre

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-21, 04:35 PM
Okay, so what's your favourtie musical genre?

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-21, 04:40 PM
For me a tie between fusion, metal and post rock. Heh. That poll is missing some of the more obscure genres that you will find quite a few people around here enjoy.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-21, 04:42 PM
meh, i love funk but it'd depress me to se Funk: 1 on any poll.

ZombieRockStar
2007-01-21, 05:42 PM
You're asking me to choose just one?

*head explodes*

I think I'd have to go with classic rock. Indie at a close second.

You're missing "classical" by the way.

smellie_hippie
2007-01-21, 05:49 PM
I'd have liked to vote for multiple... but had to stick with "classic rock". That would only be the monster/dinosaurs though... Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, Beatles... not ACDC or Van Halen/Hagar...

I only likes my musicians aged... not saturated. :smallamused:

I woulda put in Blues for SRV and BB though...

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-21, 05:54 PM
A Robert J album > anythign else you care to name. But thats an exception to the
rule.

Amotis
2007-01-21, 10:50 PM
Shadow of the Sun and Zombie say it all.

If I had to choose it would be between classical, folk rock(and all it's sub genre's, noise/acid/psy/neo folk/alt. country), post-rock, and indie pop.

And then somemore.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-21, 10:54 PM
Hey you left out the one type of music that has proved itself for hundreds of years

CLASSICAL, you know mozart, beethoven, vivaldi, handel, bach, hyden, etc...

Jester42
2007-01-21, 11:11 PM
I don't listen to music, just audio books. My wife (an avid country listener) thinks I am a freak for that.

ravenkith
2007-01-22, 03:19 PM
It's all about Rock & Roll baby.

From Aerosmith to Kiss to Zeppelin, classic is sweet and tasty...

And I love me some Bush, Nickleback and Staind, too...

whatever I play, it's gonna have some rock in it.

WampaX
2007-01-22, 03:21 PM
No Classical? :smallconfused:
Geeze . . . what kinda shoddy poll are you running here? :smalltongue:

Hey you left out the one type of music that has proved itself for hundreds of years

you tell 'em, Tharj.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-01-22, 03:47 PM

QFT.

*Gasp* No classical, SHAME!

:annoyed:

Dragor
2007-01-22, 03:51 PM
Classical Rock all the way. I'm surprised, being so young, and liking Dinosaur bands. Shouldn't I be headbanging to heavy metal? (Although I don't mind soft metal- Nightwish FTW111!122!)

Led Zep, Floyd, and even Van Halen are fine by me. And I laughed when I saw Rap with no votes. I hate that bloated monster of noise.... but Rock isn't much better, I suppose. 10 minute guitar solo's- quite painful sometimes.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-01-23, 03:18 AM
You should have been allowed to choose several options..

A lot of people mentioned liking rock and classical at the same time, etc..

And me personally - easily a third of the list. Pop, punk rock, hard rock, heavy metal, dance, R&B, hip-hop...

Darkshade
2007-01-23, 03:23 AM
where's the Symphonic Power option?
Death Metal?
Bluegrass?
Progressive?
Trance?

Don Julio Anejo
2007-01-23, 03:30 AM
Well trance and dance are pretty similar... and they usually refer to club music.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-23, 03:55 AM
Dragor- I am a metal fan, but I like classical, post rock, classic rock, folk rock, jazz and jazz fusion as well. Don't worry about it.

Druid
2007-01-23, 01:20 PM
Clasic rock. Zeppelin is the greatest!

ElfLad
2007-01-24, 12:06 AM
Classic Rock. Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, Beach Boys, Stones, Dylan, Boston, Kansas, etc.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-01-24, 01:33 PM
Ah, electronica it is. Although some techno, pop, hip-hop, and rap isn't bad now and again. :smallbiggrin:

Amotis
2007-01-24, 02:47 PM
Yah, me like electropop and stuff. A cool genre.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-01-24, 06:01 PM
It's a pretty easy choice for me, Bob Dylan and the Beatles are easily my favorites, though i have ecclectic taste beyond that in the general area of "rock" from Tori (Amos) to Tenacious D

Dihan
2007-01-24, 06:19 PM
Metal. Though I much prefer symphonic metal.

General Leitmann
2007-01-24, 06:22 PM
You're asking me to choose just one?

*head explodes*

I think I'd have to go with classic rock. Indie at a close second.

You're missing "classical" by the way.

and Art Rock... And don't tell me it's similar to any on there, because I would fight to the death against that, hahahaha.

Fat Daddy
2007-01-24, 06:23 PM
I have a fairly eclectic taste in music. My collection has toby keith alongside beethoven, next to megadeth and led zeppelin. I had to vote country as my fave but classic rock comes a close second...

Amotis
2007-01-24, 08:54 PM
and Art Rock... And don't tell me it's similar to any on there, because I would fight to the death against that, hahahaha.

Ummm...art rock is probably one of the most vaguest terms ever when trying to describe music. I'm sure I could strech it and fit it into a category if I wanted to.

ElfLad
2007-01-24, 11:37 PM
Kansas is probably the most famous Art Rock band, but I count it more as Classic Rock. I like most Classic Rock, but I think it's a pretty stupid type of genre because it's based more on time period than style.

Kjata
2007-01-24, 11:37 PM
Oh god... I am the only person on this board who likes rap... a little bit of me just died.

Amotis
2007-01-24, 11:39 PM
Umm...No? Kansas is prog. rock. Art Rock is more of a name fans call bands, not a genre.

ElfLad
2007-01-24, 11:43 PM
Ah, well, I've always heard it referred to as Art Rock. And it kinda fits, because they do have really complex arrangements and such.

starwoof
2007-01-24, 11:47 PM
I listen to a lot of Classical music; Zelda, Starfox, Starcraft, etc. :smallbiggrin: I also like classic rock and country. I cant vote for a favorite.

zachol
2007-01-25, 10:00 PM
Goa-style trance.

Low key, background music that you could easily halucinate to.
I mean, playlists where the songs are nearly indistinguishable from one another.
Or, they lasting 5 or 6 hours.

I almost always dislike vocals.
There are a few exceptions (RHCP, some Pink Floyd, a very few others), but I've found that I'd like most songs more if they just lacked lyrics.

Amotis
2007-01-25, 10:03 PM
That sounds...really boring. But okay man, whatever creams your twinkie.

Deaddude
2007-01-25, 10:06 PM
Classic Rock all the way!!!

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-25, 10:26 PM
Yeah, Classic Rock is awesome. But I am still a headbanger. I see metal as an evolution of Classic Rock and Modern Rock as something relatively indistinct- related, yes, but very different.

I am also a massive fan of Instrumental Rock- I have expressed my overall focus on the music more than the vocals, which is ironic in the fact that I am myself a vocalist. Joe Satriani is god.

zachol
2007-01-25, 10:31 PM
That sounds...really boring.

If that was the only thing I was doing, then yes, it would be nearly insufferable.

But, when I'm just trying to do "stuff" and don't care what I'm listening to, so long as it's something, it's good.

TinSoldier
2007-01-25, 10:36 PM
I went for "Country". I agree with other posters though, that this should have been a multiple choice poll.

The country music that I like has its roots in folk and rock and classic rock and blues, though. You can have the pop-country stuff 'cause I really don't like it as much.

If this was multiple choice then I would have voted for the following:
Classic Rock
Modern Rock
Punk
Metal
Folk
Country
Blues

My CD collection contains all of that as well as some Rap (but not much). Again, like others, I have varied tastes.

Sundog
2007-01-26, 12:06 PM
SO MUCH GOOD STUFF!!! But you don't have my fave - the New Romantic movement.

Amotis
2007-01-26, 12:08 PM
Neo-Romanticism? Really? Who do you like of the movement? I personally think they're beating a dead horse but maybe I haven't heard enough.

Omniplex
2007-01-26, 12:28 PM
old school country for me. Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings are all favorites of mine.

Mr Croup
2007-01-26, 04:03 PM
Neo-Romanticism? Really? Who do you like of the movement? I personally think they're beating a dead horse but maybe I haven't heard enough.

I could be off base, but I'm thinking that he's talking about the sub genre of New Wave as opposed to Neo-Romanticism. New Romantic included bands like Duran Duran (particularly their earlier work), Adam Ant, ABC, and Ultravox.

That being said, my musical taste is all over the place. I'm a huge New Wave and synth pop fan. But I also adore Elvis Costello (prefereably his earlier agro sound), and really enjoy some good classic country (see Omniplex), Rockabilly, EBM, D&B, Trance, and Futurepop, with a little old fashioned Goth in there as well. I blame it on a confused youth spent going to clubs to much, and subculture hopping.

For instance, the other day in my car I went from listening to Brian Setzer, to Roger Miller, to Howard Jones, to Depeche Mode, to Ferry Corsten, to VNV Nation, then to Sisters of Mercy.

Amotis
2007-01-26, 04:07 PM
Oh...I see. The lyrics in his sig probably should of tipped me off.

Chunklets
2007-01-26, 04:30 PM
Since the first time I heard "London Calling", it's been punk rock for me!

Sewer_Bandito
2007-01-26, 06:32 PM
No ska?! What kind of poll is this? :smallwink:

Sundog
2007-01-27, 05:25 AM
I could be off base, but I'm thinking that he's talking about the sub genre of New Wave as opposed to Neo-Romanticism. New Romantic included bands like Duran Duran (particularly their earlier work), Adam Ant, ABC, and Ultravox.

That being said, my musical taste is all over the place. I'm a huge New Wave and synth pop fan. But I also adore Elvis Costello (prefereably his earlier agro sound), and really enjoy some good classic country (see Omniplex), Rockabilly, EBM, D&B, Trance, and Futurepop, with a little old fashioned Goth in there as well. I blame it on a confused youth spent going to clubs to much, and subculture hopping.

For instance, the other day in my car I went from listening to Brian Setzer, to Roger Miller, to Howard Jones, to Depeche Mode, to Ferry Corsten, to VNV Nation, then to Sisters of Mercy.

Quite correct regarding my preferences. I've only heard a little of the Neo-Romanticism stuff, and that will do me nicely, thank you...

musicnerd
2007-01-27, 10:05 PM
I chose classic rock but I would also mention my love for classical, which was sadly left out of the poll. I need Queen, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and the Beatles, of course, but my life would not be complete without Beethoven, Dvorák, Tchaikovsky, and Hayden.

Other genres I enjoy listening to are Jazz/Swing, Broadway Show tunes, Folk, Motown, soundtracks from my favorite movies, and Johnny Cash (the only country I like)