PDA

View Full Version : Archer / Sniper Archetype (need help 3.5)

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 09:20 AM
Which classes are often good to make a ranged focused sniper character?

Bows or Crossbows, doesn't matter much.

Ranger comes to mind, but everyone seems to think it isn't very powerful.

Gwendol
2014-01-10, 09:29 AM
http://www.brilliantgameologists.com/boards/?topic=642.0
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1143551
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269705

Archery handbooks. I recommend starting there.

Azoth
2014-01-10, 01:10 PM
Obligatory Tippy Archer link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286818

Urpriest
2014-01-10, 03:49 PM
You'll have to specify what you mean. Does "sniper" mean "one shot, one kill, long distance"? Should the character be stealthy? Can they use volleys of arrows rather than single shots?

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 04:04 PM
You'll have to specify what you mean. Does "sniper" mean "one shot, one kill, long distance"? Should the character be stealthy? Can they use volleys of arrows rather than single shots?

a "One Shot, One Kill, long distance" character, yes. He should be stealthy and have the resources to:
Silently kill the lone guard with a single shot, sneak inside the building and steal an item, rewrite a certain document, or something. Get out and act as if nothing has happened.

I would prefer if it weren't stacking different classes either (like 20 lvls of lvl 1 or 2 dips). DMs I play with hate that.

How high can 1 shot be pumped? Is it realistically plausible to either attack (with or without crit?) a tarrasque and kill it with only a build and an appropriate weapon with greater magic weapon on it? Or will a decent amount of buff stacking be needed. (assuming wish is cast immediately after you take said shot).

In terms of range Im not really looking for 50000ft range with image shenanigans, Ill settle for anything over 200ft range.

Seharvepernfan
2014-01-10, 04:48 PM
Rogue Assassin with crossbow sniper or sniper shot spell?

Azoth
2014-01-10, 05:07 PM
Swift Hunter build using Scout Sniper ACF + Sword of the Arcane Order and a single level Cloistered Cleric dip for TU pool. Convince your DM Skirmish qualifies for Craven (arguably so). Use your TU pool (+ boosting items) to DMM Persist your favorite archery buffs and go to town with a Quick Loading+Self Loading great crossbow.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-10, 05:36 PM
How high can 1 shot be pumped? Is it realistically plausible to either attack (with or without crit?) a tarrasque and kill it with only a build and an appropriate weapon with greater magic weapon on it? Or will a decent amount of buff stacking be needed. (assuming wish is cast immediately after you take said shot).

Sure, you only have to smash 883 damage into its face. Factotum 4 with maxed Cunning Strike gets you ~+90d6 which averages to 315. That leaves 568 damage left.

Use Surge of Fortune + Weapon Supremacy + True Strike and you will guarantee a critical hit. A Kaorti Resin Longbow means x4. Have 36 Int and 30 Dex along with Targeteer Fighter 1 for (with Cunning Insight for Int to Damage) another +23 damage which is then quadrupled (92 total). That brings you down to 476, which accounting for the critical is 119 more points of base damage to find.

Collision and a +5 weapon gets you another +10. Shiba Protector 1 can get you Wis to damage which, thanks to Owl's Insight should end up being another +12 or so.

Craven is another +20 from your HD so that brings it down to 77 more damage to find and you have (at this point) 13 more levels to work with as Ardent 2 is being used to pick up all of your casting needs (for little things like Surge of Fortune).

Now pretty much comes 13 levels of class and PrC diving to find another 77 points of ranged attack static damage.

Peerless Archer 3, for example, lets you effectively power attack with a bow at a 1:1 rate. Combine with Divine Power for maximum BAB and you pick up another 20 points there, leaving you 10 levels to find 57 more points of static damage boosts.

---
You could, of course, drop Targetteer Fighter and just use Festering Anger to pump your Strength through the roof for all of the damage.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 06:26 PM
Tippy, is there any oother way to replicate this but without the cunning strike?
I see from where you're coming but thats too many fonts of inspiration to fuel 1 attack per round, not to discount the fact that I would actually need weapon feats and skill feats (point blanc, precise, imp precise, darkstalker, etc).

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-10, 06:34 PM
Tippy, is there any oother way to replicate this but without the cunning strike?
I see from where you're coming but thats too many fonts of inspiration to fuel 1 attack per round, not to discount the fact that I would actually need weapon feats and skill feats (point blanc, precise, imp precise, darkstalker, etc).

Not unless you can find another 300 or so damage to stuff onto a single ranged attack from somewhere.

If you throw on Deepwood Sniper 7 then you will have a x6 Crit multiplier. That means you need a static 148 damage.

13 Int, 10 Dex, 12 Wis, 20 Craven, 20 from Peerless Archer 3, 10 from weapon gets you up to 85 damage. So find another 63 points of static damage from somewhere.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 06:42 PM
Deepwood sniper works hmm...

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 09:38 PM
Tippy, now that I think about it. Is it even possible to get enough feats to qualify for shiba protector, get 13 Fonts of inspiration, the appropriate weapon feats and stuff like craven and darkstalker?

without using the chaos shuffle. Dm hates it with a passion.

Azoth
2014-01-10, 10:35 PM
It's not static but there are a pair of bracers that rerol all 1's on sneak attack/skirmish/sudden strike dice for 8.5k. Pushes the sneak attack average up by 45 damage. So only 18 more damage to generate.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-10, 10:48 PM
It's not static but there are a pair of bracers that rerol all 1's on sneak attack/skirmish/sudden strike dice for 8.5k. Pushes the sneak attack average up by 45 damage. So only 18 more damage to generate.

What are the named? are they in the MiC?

Also, So far I've been going on something like this:
human 2 flaws
Rogue 1/Factotum 3/Targeteer 2/Deepwood Sniper 7/ something 7 (probably chameleon, since Ill be taking able learner anyway)
Rogue level is to qualify for craven :P

Feats I was thinking of:
Able learner, Darkstalker, Point blank shot, Weapon Focus (Great Crossbow), (Vital aim targeteer), far shot (targteer), Crossbow sniper, craven, Im left with 4 feats.

Is chameleon 7 decent? or do I need to get to 10 to make full use of that class?

(Yes, Im making a crossbow wielding sniper. Can't it work? how would it work?)

Azoth
2014-01-11, 12:05 AM
Bracer's of Murder from Drow of the Underdark. 8K. +2 to hit/damage against flat footed foes, Death Attack DC +2, and Reroll 1's on Sneak Attack Dice.

Lets try and close that damage gap. Assassination +1 enchant, Deadly Precision +1 enchant, Rogue's Vest 20k. Combine Bracers of Murder with Bracers of the Hunter (secrets of Xen Drik) for a toal cost of (8k*1.5)+8.5k=20.5k for the gloves. That gives us an extra 4d6 Sneak Attack damage (average of 16. 18 If they are flat footed.)

If we extrapolate the cost of the "of Subtlety" ability from the Sword Swords of Subtlety it comes out to 20k. That is about the price of a +3 mod. It would give us +4 to hit and damage for sneak attacks and is static damage so multiplies on crits...when they happen.

That pushes us to 20 damage which was 2 over what we needed.

So it is possible to snipe for the required damage.

*edit* Just realized...Tippy wanted static damage for the crit multiplier. My additions just got the damage total while being almost completely variable damage. I failed in a big way on that one. This is what I get for contributing while sleep deprived at work in the middle of the night.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-12, 02:12 PM
Derp. So basically, Without Factotum cunning strike, I would need 148 dmg with x6 crit multiplier on a crit.

Is there any spell that works like hunter's mercy but on swift action casting?

Either way, Even if I don't kill the target in 1 shot, I still got 2-4 more right?

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-12, 04:01 PM
Having min. 3 lvls in factotum and 7 in deepwood sniper as a requisite, What other classes that mesh well with skills and archery can I take? (rogue 1 for craven etc).

I want to make a skillful character for out of combat, and in combat, I want to be able to react to certain events in a specific manner:

In the Case of being able to surprise the enemy, I want to be able, with less than 2 minutes of preparation, to identify and kill the enemy of highest value (the caster in the group, or the stronger looking ogre, etc...)

In the Case of a normal encounter in which the first case isn't available, I want to able deal decent dmg.

In the case of an ambush, I want to be able to take cover and hide in 1 round and one shot the biggest threat in the next.