PDA

View Full Version : Another Shot at 3.5 Saga-Style Skills [DnD 3.5]

Maerok
2014-01-10, 12:19 PM
I took a shot at this a while ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91094) and now I'm thinking over some revisions. It wasn't so well-received last time.

When it comes to DnD 3.5 I love the variety in feats and classes and all that but skills are still such a bear. Not spreading around points leads to strangely inept characters and skills go underutilized leading to more combat-heavy gameplay.

I want faster character generation, reasonable compatibility, and more use of skills over feats/class abilities when appropriate.

This level-based progression will assume that characters just pick things up over the course of their adventures, allowing them to do things outside the range of their class specialties because they've learned on the job from others.

Stuff like rolling Concentration or Spellcraft into another skill might give the Wizard more flexibility in skills but I'm okay with a Wizard choosing to use a skill over a spell more often. Bluff's been pretty split up into a number of things and more distinguished between what it's used for - I like Bluff for things like feinting but it shouldn't be the same skill to lie to someone's face. And coming from that, Social is basic interaction (like a normal person) while Deception is more the Anti-Social skill.

Intuition combines puzzle solving with logic to use old skills like Concentration and Decipher Script. You'd also be able to case the joint and Gather Information without actually talking to anyone (objectively figure out 'this is a bad neighborhood', for instance).

Sense Motive is kind of torn between the new Intuition and Social skills because it's hunch-based but also interaction-based. For balancing Deception, Intuition, and Social, I guess I'm using Dexter as a litmus test. Sense Motive will be best with Intuition (able to use in all circumstances, even incomprehensible things) and Social gets to use it for social cases.

Not fully sure what to do with Intimidate - it should be able to be done by good guys or bad, through lies or a legitimate threat. It's also an attempt to gain information in some uses.

Perform, Profession, and Craft get some benefits from Knowledge where applicable. Perform is also combined now where you get several specialties. Craft is utilized by things like Medicine, Mechanics, and Survival to build things.

So here's the run down on what I have now:

Saga-Style Skills

Class Skill Points: A skill point is spent to train in a skill. No change to skill points from classes. Wizards get 2+Int and Rogues get 8+Int, etc. Trained skills receive a +5 bonus on top of the level-based modifier.

Using a Skill: Outcome = d20 + Att Modifier + 1/2 Level (round down) + 5 (if trained) + 5 (if Skill Focus)

Skill Focus feat: Provides an additional +5 to that skill.

Prerequisites: Any skill-based prerequisite is now converted to "Level (Original # Ranks)-3, Trained in [Skill]." Skill Focus feat may still be needed. Reasonable handling by DM is expected.

DC: No change from typical DC for a skill.

Skills are grouped based on the original 36 skills. Some old skills apply to multiple new skills under specific circumstances. Which attribute provides the modifier is stated but debatable for some cases.

{table]Skill | Old Skills Contained
Acrobatics (Dex) | Balance, Bluff (Medium+ weapon), Tumble
Animals (Cha) | Handle Animal, Ride
Arcana (Int) | Concentration (casting), Decipher Script (magic), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Athletics (Str) | Climb, Jump, Swim
Craft X (Int) | Appraise X, Craft X, Knowledge X
Deception (Cha) | Bluff (mental), Disguise, Forgery, Intimidate (false threat)
Intuition (Int) | Concentration (non-casting), Decipher Script (encryption, puzzle), Gather Information (non-social), Sense Motive
Knowledge X (Int) | Knowledge X
Linguistics (Int) | Decipher Script (archaic, foreign), know native language + Int modifier + 3 per training and Focus
Mechanics (Int) | Disable Device, Open Lock, Craft (mechanisms)
Medicine (Int) | Heal, Craft (alchemy)
Perception (Wis) | Listen, Search, Spot
Perform (Cha) | Perform X, Knowledge X, know Cha specialties + 3 per training and Focus
Profession X (Varies) | Profession X, Knowledge X
Sleight of Hand (Dex) | Bluff (physical, undersized weapon), Escape Artist, Sleight of Hand, Use Rope
Social (Cha) | Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate (true threat), Sense Motive (social)
Stealth (Dex) | Hide, Move Silently
Survival (Wis) | Craft (adventuring gear), Survival, Use Rope
[/table]