PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire on warded ally

Tyger
2014-01-10, 01:15 PM
The spell Backfire (from the SpC, so I can't reproduce it here) engulfs the target in flame that does Con damage every round. It also spreads to adjacent living critters each round. Anyone protected by Death Ward has "immunity to blackfire's effects."

If an ally (your friendly neighborhood beatstick) is protected by Death Ward, could you target them with Blackfire, setting the aflame with it, and allowing them to spread the fire to their targets in melee?

The question is, does "immunity to blackfire's effects" equate to 'the spell can not be cast on this person' or does it mean 'the negative effects don't happen to you, thank you Mr. Cleric for warding me'?

Thoughts?

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-10, 01:23 PM
I would say that they don't burn. One would need to target something they hold, rather than them.

Psyren
2014-01-10, 03:54 PM
It could go either way really; DM call.

Tyger
2014-01-10, 07:04 PM
That's what I thought. Just had a faint hope there was a precedent somewhere for it.

animewatcha
2014-01-10, 07:48 PM
Way I see it is that both are active at the same time. If Deathward runs out before blackfire duration is up, then the target gets to be engulfed in blackfire. If both are up and adjacent creatures are nearby, then proceed with the reflex saves unless antimagic field, etc.

Kinda like you being lit on fire, but you aren't taking fire damage due to resistance.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-10, 07:52 PM
Way I see it is that both are active at the same time. If Deathward runs out before blackfire duration is up, then the target gets to be engulfed in blackfire. If both are up and adjacent creatures are nearby, then proceed with the reflex saves unless antimagic field, etc.

Kinda like you being lit on fire, but you aren't taking fire damage due to resistance.

This it what it looks like to me too. You're immune to the Blackfire's effects, but not to having it on you in the first place. If you cast Blackfire and then Death Ward on someone it's even less ambiguous (since there's nothing implying that Death Ward will somehow put out an existing Blackfire), but then you're risking 1d4 CON damage to your friend.