PDA

View Full Version : So, who wrote the script for Belkar's illusion?

Caractacus
2007-01-21, 05:55 PM
Do you reckon V wrote the script? It's unnecessarily verbose...

Do you reckon Belkar wrote it and someone else wrote a 'nice' version of it?

Do you reckon Shojo was responsible?

If not these, who?

Hmm...?

(Let's assume for the discussion that it isn't actually swearing and being rude and that we are just getting a sanitised version...)

Gralamin
2007-01-21, 05:57 PM
Its a programmed image, thus it sounds as if it is badly programmed. The maker would probably be Roy's Dad or one of Shojo's Wizards

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 05:57 PM
I would say whoever cast it, which makes it V, Elan, or someone of Shojo's that's "in on" it.

Edit: Or Roy's dad, but that seems less likely...

MReav
2007-01-21, 06:08 PM
Roy's dad is explicitly mentioned as having programmed it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-21, 06:45 PM
Roy's dad. I would imagine that V helped him do it, being a highly intelligent "friend" of Belkar.

Mmm... Though it's quite possible that Mr. Scruffy wrote it.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 07:50 PM
Mmm... Though it's quite possible that Mr. Scruffy wrote it.

Roy's dad: "OK, I've made the illusion, now I have to program its vocal responses."
Mr. Scruffy: "Meow"
Belkar Illusion: "Meow"

Caractacus
2007-01-22, 09:29 AM
Roy's dad is explicitly mentioned as having programmed it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html

Yes, you're quite right about the spell-casting; I was wondering just how Roy's dad hit on the so-accurate portrayal of Belkar regarding personality...

eof
2007-01-22, 10:01 AM
Huh. I always assumed that the illusion is some one-of-a-kind spell designed by Roy's dad... Something with a phantasmal component, and so with tailored "speech" according to whoever "listens" to it. We get the "generic" version of what the illusion "says," but each guard "hears" something quite different (something they would consider particularly offensive).

Ganjuu-kun
2007-01-22, 01:46 PM
Probably whoever made the illusion...

Jazzvader
2007-01-22, 01:53 PM
Huh. I always assumed that the illusion is some one-of-a-kind spell designed by Roy's dad... Something with a phantasmal component, and so with tailored "speech" according to whoever "listens" to it. We get the "generic" version of what the illusion "says," but each guard "hears" something quite different (something they would consider particularly offensive).

I would think so as well but how come the two guards in 295 seemed to hear the same thing. But they could be twins or something.

eof
2007-01-22, 02:15 PM
I would think so as well but how come the two guards in 295 seemed to hear the same thing. But they could be twins or something.
I'm not going to look through the archives just to confirm it (looking for every strip where the illusionary Belkar appears), but I did happen to look at that particular strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html). The beauty of it is that they didn't necessary hear the same thing; they just heard something quite similar ("a generic comment questioning their parentage"). So guard number one could have heard "your mother was a hamster" and guard number two could have heard "your father smelt of elderberries." Both guards still react in an appropriate manner.

This, of course, means that if two independent "listeners" would compare notes, the gig is up. Hmmm....

Angela Christine
2007-01-22, 03:48 PM
Yes, you're quite right about the spell-casting; I was wondering just how Roy's dad hit on the so-accurate portrayal of Belkar regarding personality...

Dad was watching Roy for some time, and he would see plenty of Belkarisms while watching Roy.