PDA

View Full Version : Orc Olympics

Grug
2007-01-21, 05:59 PM
Heya.

I need some suggestions for my game on Saturday (what-a-day) night. I'm the DM and the campaign is rather silly (castles destroyed by plot devices, constipated zombies, and crossdressing cults). As a little side trek, The party has the chance to get a magic item froma bunch of orcs if they can beat them in sports. What would the d20 rules for basketball be? Disarm checks? Attack rolls? Anything specific? I've already figured that Football (the American kind for all you Brits) would involve initiative first, then overrun and bullrushes.

Any other suggestions?

Deathcow
2007-01-21, 06:05 PM
With orcs? Lots and lots of unarmed attack rolls, and then whichever team is still conscious shoots a lot of baskets.

Grug
2007-01-21, 06:12 PM
Good idea. I mustn't forget the inherant brutality of orcs.

Deathcow
2007-01-21, 06:15 PM
Although, come to think of it, organized sports of any variety (except possibly rugby) seem too structured to appeal to orcs. You could always make up some new game, that involved a lot of tackling and punching and the like.

Raish
2007-01-21, 06:27 PM
hockey...would be sweet. Balance checks,for move actions on the ice, Attack bonuses for any type of check(like a hockey check, like smashing people into walls and such) made on the ice, off set by the chars Natural and dex based AC + your STR mod. i.e. Orc tries to check you out on the open ice has base attack of 5 + str = 7,8,9 (whatever) roll the d20 say you roll total of 17, play against chars AC 10+3dex+3str= 16 character gets checked and loses puck. Tripping applies too, and charging checks and bonuses for near the wall and stuff like that. shooting is easily done roll the base attack add dex and str every 5 ft away you are get a -2 to the shot, has to be a straight shot (nothing blaocking the way to the goal, like other players) goalie adds dex bonus to make the save. ties go to goalie btw passes are done similiarly add dex and str (no minues in range) char accepting the pass does dex check to see if he/she accepts pass if the dex check isn't met the puck continues in a straight line for 5ft every point of str mod the passer has. umm anything else...oh yeah face offs, initiative pretty simple. As far as rules, up to you if you want to use offsides and icing and all the things that make sports fair in RL.

raish

p.s. i think hockey would be sweet

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-21, 06:31 PM
Hockey sounds like the ideal orcish sport. It's already pretty brutal as is. Probably my favourite real-life sport, just because its fun to see angry men beat each other up with sticks.

The_Werebear
2007-01-21, 06:36 PM
Shot Put and Javelin throw. Into each other.

lordmarcoos
2007-01-21, 06:50 PM
Basketball? I'd say... Hoop is a tiny object (dunnno where that puts the AC), and set up some minuses for distance. And then a lot of bull-rushes, overruns, disarms and the like all standard. The basketball would be a light weapon, i guess do 1d3/20 or 1d2/20 nonlethal damage? seems simple enough, if you just grid out where the 3 point and free throw lines are...

The_Snark
2007-01-21, 06:54 PM
If it's a comic game, stick with real-world sports. They are orcs, though, so such things as "fouls" and "no-contact rules" for most games will be removed.

Basketball: Normally, this would involve lots of disarms and readied actions, Tumble checks, etc. But with orcs, it probably means overrunning and grappling, with some bull rushes.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-21, 07:01 PM
Calvinball!

Saph
2007-01-21, 07:13 PM
Just use the rules for Blood Bowl.

Basically it's a normal sport, except that killing the enemy team members is a legitimate tactic. No weapons or magic are allowed, but just about anything else is.

Given the way Blood Bowl games normally go, you won't need very many special rules, as it'll turn into combat in seconds anyway.

- Saph

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 07:20 PM
If it's a comic game, stick with real-world sports. They are orcs, though, so such things as "fouls" and "no-contact rules" for most games will be removed.

Actually, you could make up sports that are just as hilarious.

Calvinball!

See? Although now this is a real-world sport. And the best one, ever. Just don't forget the masks.

Norsesmithy
2007-01-21, 07:44 PM
No No No, We used masks last time, it is baseball caps this time.

The_Snark
2007-01-21, 07:46 PM
Actually, you could make up sports that are just as hilarious.

Sure, you could, but part of the humor is in the player's expectations of how the game is already played.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 07:52 PM
Sure, you could, but part of the humor is in the player's expectations of how the game is already played.

Yes, but you can do that by making it similar to another sport, but not like it.

I was specifically thinking of Brockian Ultra Cricket. I want to start a fantasy league of that.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-21, 07:58 PM
you should play a game of blood bowl

Jester42
2007-01-21, 08:00 PM
You should use curling, definatly curling... jk

For orc sports I imagine some sort of crazy sports like

Catch the greased pig.
cow eating contest.
Loudest Burp.
King of the Hill.
Mostly roleplaying based and little stats but could be fun :)

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 08:08 PM
Shouldn't it be "Catch the greased pigs" and then "Eating contest of said pigs"?

TheThan
2007-01-21, 09:25 PM
Oh boy! What a fun topic!
Off the top of my head I came up with for real world games or sports:
Arm wrestling contest
Boxing (or at least unarmed combat) tournament
Caber toss (nothing like tossing a gigantic log)
Hockey (for the same reasons as above)
Smear the queer
bowling competition (orc shot puts/human sculls as bowling balls)
bad Mitten (since this is a silly campaign)
bull riding (or worg, or what have you)
beer guzzling contest
The Mesoamerican ball game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame)
Olympic style sports (running, swimming, javelin, shot put etc)
Mud wrestling (something for the ladies to do, much to the men’s enjoyment, you could also have a Jell-O wrestling contest using a gelatinous cube. But that might get dangerous.)
Now that’s all real world events. So if we want to create some fictitious games I came up with a Groin kicking contest:
The men all line up and a group of women get to kick them in the groin until they collapse or give up. The winner is the one that remains standing. This could also double as a mating ritual

blackout
2007-01-21, 09:47 PM
This could also double as a mating ritual
That actually makes sense, in a twisted sort of way.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-21, 09:49 PM
Groin kicking contest:
The men all line up and a group of women get to kick them in the groin until they collapse or give up. The winner is the one that remains standing. This could also double as a mating ritual

Saithis heartily approves.

Woot Spitum
2007-01-21, 10:05 PM
What about hurling, a sport so violent that I have heard in reference to it, "Makes North American football look like South American football.":smallamused: The one time I actually saw part of a game on television, the second the game started, one player smacked another player right in the face with his stick. Right in front of the official. Who then did absolutely nothing. The hit player was carried off the field. The game did not stop for this.

Grug
2007-01-21, 10:19 PM
So far I'm thinking a game of American Football with extra Orc-y rules (smack and smash), and possibly something that has to do with the abuse of something, like a goblin or a kobold.

Actually, toss the kobold would be good. After the initial kob is thrown by the orcs, the party has to go into the woods and retrieve it. Perfect chance to pull the old switcheroo with the 10th level ranger kobold that acts as warden.

The_Snark
2007-01-21, 10:53 PM
Now that’s all real world events. So if we want to create some fictitious games I came up with a Groin kicking contest:

Eeeexcellent. This is a Constitution check, probably. But so much fun...

... for the DM, anyway.

JaronK
2007-01-21, 10:59 PM
Orc sport: cattle boxing. You have to drop a full grown cow with your bare fists, and whoever does it fastest, wins. No monks allowed!

JaronK

Woot Spitum
2007-01-21, 11:04 PM
How about "Ouch". The rules are kinda vague, but you get points based on your tolerance of pain and the creativity of how you inflict it upon both yourself and others.

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-21, 11:15 PM
Orc Shot-put. Think the stats are in Sword and Fist, but you could treat them as like 5lb lead weights(thrown weapon) with a range increment of like 30', using the rules to hit an area(AC 10) rather than an opponent. Also don't forget the splash weapon rules to determine where it rolls off to. Sort of like Boulder Throwing for the !Large set.

Hammer-throwing would follow the same rules, using a morningstar/heavy flail.

Javelin works too. Similar rules as above, sans splash.

Other things could include a race to touch a tree. Str mod+Con mod+Dex mod+d20.

Oh yes. Don't forget to make your players strip down to their skivvies before competing. Orcs may not be smart, but if they find out you're cheating(with item boosts or spell-ups)...

Kantolin
2007-01-21, 11:25 PM
Orcs may not be smart, but if they find out you're cheating(with item boosts or spell-ups)...

Which they won't? By any means? Since sure, everyone's wearing gloves and a belt.

Jorkens
2007-01-21, 11:27 PM
How about resurrecting some playground games - specifically, the sort that teachers try to discourage? Red rover, Dodgeball (with rocks), King of the Hill, Tin Soldiers (again, using heavier ammunition than the traditional football)British Bulldog... I'd imagine that orcs and ten year old boys have similar taste in senseless physical violence...

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-21, 11:32 PM
No No No, We used masks last time, it is baseball caps this time.
The masks are the only consistent rule of Calvinball. :smalltongue:

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 11:33 PM
The masks are the only consistent rule of Calvinball. :smalltongue:

I believe there are three consistent rules.

1: You must have the masks
2: Whatever we make up
3: But not the same thing twice

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-22, 12:01 AM
You forgot 4: Do not question the masks

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 12:11 AM
Quite! That is an important rule.

Wehrkind
2007-01-22, 01:04 AM
I think rugby is probably the most orky game that has a modern analoge.
I really like the "bull boxing" idea too though.

Scorpion13
2007-01-22, 01:08 AM
Im thinking Pro Thunderball from the Upright Citizens Brigade Show would be excelent for an Orchish sport.

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-22, 02:03 AM
Which they won't? By any means? Since sure, everyone's wearing gloves and a belt.

:thog: Trog say you wear regulashun leather gloves or you go sit in penalty box!

Accompanied by a pair of burly ex-champions who will mete out any "penalty"(mostly involving sharp rocks flying at anyone in the box)

Fizban
2007-01-22, 03:42 AM
Orcs playing dodgerock. Yes. YES! Heck, any high str race playing dodgerock. Win. Really easy to convert to DnD too:
Say a 50'x100' field, splint in half so each team has a 50'x50' square. Put maybe 5 people on each team, and five good sized rocks along the dividing line. No armor or defensive gear, just the skivies. Roll initiative, grab rock/rocks, throw rocks at enemies. Rocks have a 10' range increment, -4 non proficiency penalty, and deal the same damage as the thrower's unarmed strike (including non-lethalness). When carrying a rock you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC, accounting for the ability to block with the rock. If you miss with the rock, use the grenade-like weapon rules to determine which square it ends up in. If someone is in the square, they may make an opposed attack roll with an unarmed strike to catch the rock, and etc.

TheThan
2007-01-22, 03:53 AM
Orcs playing dodgerock. Yes. YES! Heck, any high str race playing dodgerock. Win. Really easy to convert to DnD too:
Say a 50'x100' field, splint in half so each team has a 50'x50' square. Put maybe 5 people on each team, and five good sized rocks along the dividing line. No armor or defensive gear, just the skivies. Roll initiative, grab rock/rocks, throw rocks at enemies. Rocks have a 10' range increment, -4 non proficiency penalty, and deal the same damage as the thrower's unarmed strike (including non-lethalness). When carrying a rock you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC, accounting for the ability to block with the rock. If you miss with the rock, use the grenade-like weapon rules to determine which square it ends up in. If someone is in the square, they may make an opposed attack roll with an unarmed strike to catch the rock, and etc.

Dodge ball was one of my favorite games as a child and it shames me to think someone else thought to include it in this…

Darkshade
2007-01-22, 03:58 AM

yeah but like in real dodgeball if you try to catch it its a risk cuz it might hit you or you might drop it so failing by 5 or more on the opposed roll if you are trying to catch it should result in you being hit or something

Fizban
2007-01-22, 04:44 AM
Dodge ball was one of my favorite games as a child and it shames me to think someone else thought to include it in this…
Dodgeball is one of my favorite games now, course i'm not out of high school yet....

Zeb The Troll
2007-01-22, 04:46 AM
I love this particular idea. And if you really want to be nasty, give the orcs proficiency since they're "athletes" and presumably do this all the time. :smallcool:

Heck, if you wanted to you could scale it up into rounds. First round is the local team. They're proficient with the rocks used in the game. Second round is the regional team. They have Weapon Focus (Dodgerock). Scale up with as many rounds as you want until finally, of course, they have to play the winning team from last year's National Dodgerock League Tournament of Champions. This team would be totally loaded on game specific feats (Snatch, Dodge, Greater Weapon Specializtion, Something You Invented...).

Assasinater
2007-01-22, 05:42 AM
Soccer. But with a rock and bare feet.

Wehrkind
2007-01-22, 06:15 AM
I would like to withdrawl "rugby" in favor of this dodgerock invention.

In fact, I think it should be published as a mini-game with the appropriate wierd feats and skills. Perhaps a collector's game where you get mini's of various players and build your own team.

Talyn
2007-01-22, 07:14 AM
I sort of like the British (Orcish) Bulldog idea - one team needs to get from one side of the field to the other in a set period of time, the other team needs to stop them in. Points are awarded on the number of teammates to make it/be stopped. Then switch. That's it, that's the only rule.

Bull rushes and overruns abound, with grapples, trips, and unarmed strikes filling in the rest of the time.

Golthur
2007-01-22, 10:51 AM
Dodgerock is good, but keep in mind that orcs would be playing full-contact dodgerock. Possibly with weapons, too.

Woot Spitum
2007-01-22, 11:06 AM
Wrestling (both amateur and professional).

Grug
2007-01-22, 11:49 AM
How about resurrecting some playground games - specifically, the sort that teachers try to discourage? Red rover, Dodgeball (with rocks), King of the Hill, Tin Soldiers (again, using heavier ammunition than the traditional football)British Bulldog... I'd imagine that orcs and ten year old boys have similar taste in senseless physical violence...

Perfect! Redrover, Dodgeball, and Hide-n-go seek as the orcish triathalon! Thanks!

And to think I was just going to play Dodgerock, volleybrick, and basegame. (cookie if you get the reference).

Golthur
2007-01-22, 11:56 AM
Perfect! Redrover, Dodgeball, and Hide-n-go seek as the orcish triathalon! Thanks!
Redrover where each side gets SPEARS!

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 12:12 PM

I like the idea completely, except for the "split in half" thing. Instead, I think each team should wear a color, and you can run around all you want. Running up to an enemy and bashing them over the head with the rock should be allowed too.

Amiria
2007-01-22, 12:14 PM
Great ideas so far. Now, what about Jugger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger) ? Of course, the original brutal movie version.

Orzel
2007-01-22, 12:14 PM
Actually I'd played a game of basketball in DnD.
Positioning was removed and it was mostly passing, shooting, stealing, and rebounding via opposed abilty checks. No Zone defense.

Shooting/Dunking
Shooter: 1d20 + Dex (Str if dunking) + 4 for each size larger
Each Blocker: 1d20 + Wis (Str if dunking) + 4 for each size larger

The shooter's score is then check vs DC 5 for dunks, DC 10 for shots, and DC 15 for 3s.

Rebounding: Str checks

Stealing: Offense's Dex vs Defenses's Int -4 for each size larger

Passing was auto succes unless you doubleteamed. Passing when doubleteamed provoked a steal.

If you scored 3 times in a row, team captians made a Cha check vs each other. If the captian of the team with the run wins, they get +4 to all rolls 'til the other team scores twice.

Note: I live in Brooklyn.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 12:19 PM
Great ideas so far. Now, what about Jugger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger) ? Of course, the original brutal movie version.

No way, that's too perfect. Of course, it should be played with a human skull.

Kiroho
2007-01-22, 02:47 PM
Only the children use rocks to play their version of dodge ball. During real competition, orcs use the heads from morning stars.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-22, 02:51 PM
Hide-n-go-Seek, but if you're hiding and you get found, you get one round to try and kill the one who found you before you're out. ;D

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 02:53 PM
Only the children use rocks to play their version of dodge ball. During real competition, orcs use the heads from morning stars.

For a minute, I thought you were going to say the heads of other orcs, or humans, or something.

TheThan
2007-01-22, 03:23 PM
While we’re on the subject of playground games, how about steal the bacon?

In case you don’t know:

You have two teams, one referee and one “bacon” (usually a blackboard eraser, but anything of that size could be used). It’s played on a basketball court or a field of about that size.

The referee places the “bacon” in the middle of the court or field and gets to call out two names, one from each team. Upon hearing both names called the two players then run out to the field and try to grab the bacon and return it to their team before the other one does. You play for a predetermined amount of points.

Naturally you could put a bit of an orcish spin on things, and let the players tackle beat up and steal the bacon from each other.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 03:30 PM
And they use a real pig, too.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-22, 03:32 PM
And they use a real pig, too.

Quoted for Win, but enhance this by making it a greased pig. Nothing in the rules says you can't just beat the pig into submission to take it back, though. ;D

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 03:35 PM
Quoted for Win, but enhance this by making it a greased pig. Nothing in the rules says you can't just beat the pig into submission to take it back, though. ;D

Most definitely, on both accounts.

Fhaolan
2007-01-22, 04:13 PM
Okay, dodgerock has just entered my campaign as the primary orc sport. I'm so glad I read this forum. :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2007-01-22, 04:23 PM
Prestige class:
Dodge rock champ

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-22, 04:24 PM
I'm so tempted to start up my very own 'Savagia Olympia' comedy game now.

Weasel of Doom
2007-01-22, 04:36 PM
How about a game where you get a goblin, kobold or other small race. It's put on a field and told to run away while orcs javelins at it

Golthur
2007-01-22, 04:56 PM
How about a game where you get a goblin, kobold or other small race. It's put on a field and told to run away while orcs javelins at it
Ooh. That could be another option for dodgerock - dodgeGNOME!

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 05:28 PM

It wouldn't need to be told.

cferejohn
2007-01-22, 07:11 PM

I thought you had to catch it and eat it. First one to catch and eat their pig wins.

These are orcs, yes?

I don't think anyone's mentioned any kind of rodeo event. How about ankheg riding?

Greenfaun
2007-01-22, 08:14 PM
I thought you had to catch it and eat it. First one to catch and eat their pig wins.

These are orcs, yes?

I don't think anyone's mentioned any kind of rodeo event. How about ankheg riding?

Dang it, I was just going to suggest Dire Boar Rodeo, but the very last post on the page beat me to it.

How about a really brutal and dangerous obstacle course? You can use fairly simple rules for static traps/obstacles, climb, balance, and jump checks. Those are already easy to do with standard rules.

Kiroho
2007-01-23, 11:55 AM
Dang it, I was just going to suggest Dire Boar Rodeo, but the very last post on the page beat me to it.

How about a really brutal and dangerous obstacle course? You can use fairly simple rules for static traps/obstacles, climb, balance, and jump checks. Those are already easy to do with standard rules.

I could see this as a modified Marines Confidence Course, except that fatalities are perfectly acceptable.

Telok
2007-01-23, 03:10 PM
Shot Put and Javelin throw. Into each other.

Actually I think you mean Gnome Put and Elf Throw (the one where you're throwing the elf at the javelin).

elliott20
2007-01-23, 03:47 PM
oh my god, this thread had my side aching...

I somehow see a very streamlined and brutal version of American Football.

Basically, you need to bring the ball into the end zone. But instead of having downs, or even breaks, you just keep going until one team scores. then they reset again. And during this time in between, mayhem till your hearts content.

Or here's another sport, we'll call it "toughs" for now.

two works stand face to face of each other on a bridge and take turns smacking each other with clubs. The one to 1. fall unconscious 2. fall over off the bridge 3. surrender loses. There could be different leagues for this, where their weapon of choice is different.

Also, why can't we have stuff like 100 yard sprints? except instead of just having people run, there's some big, hungry beast chasing after them.

here's another one: the gnome taffy stretch.

each team or contestant is given a gnome that they must stretch. The one that can stretch the gnome the longest wins.

Grug
2007-01-23, 09:28 PM
here's another one: the gnome taffy stretch.

each team or contestant is given a gnome that they must stretch. The one that can stretch the gnome the longest wins.

It's funny because the party just found the super Secret Candy Store run by a gnome. Taffy can be the orc's weakness. Eventually every monster can be supdued with candy!

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-01-23, 09:41 PM
^^ The first one is rugby.