PDA

View Full Version : [PF] what bypasses DR

JeenLeen
2014-01-10, 04:17 PM
I know from reading various things that some level of +X weapons (+1, +2, +3, etc.) bypasses certain DR.

Would someone please go through what is needed to bypass /--, /bludgeoning (as well as slashing/piercing), /silver (as well as cold iron), and /good (as well as evil/law/chaos)?

Also, when do magic spells, spell-likes, and supernatural abilities bypass DR? It seems obvious that magical fire would bypass /magic. Does it bypass other DR? What about mundane fire, or things like alchemical items (acid, alchemist's fire, etc.)?

Thanks. I know this is written out online in the PRD, but I've found it confusing going through the text as it is.

Allanimal
2014-01-10, 04:33 PM
Spells, spell like abilities, energy attacks always bypass DR.

Weapons with high enough Enhancement Bonus will bypass certain DR.
Cold iron / silver : +3
Adamantine: +4
Alignment-based: +5

Reference: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Damage-Reduction

NightbringerGGZ
2014-01-10, 04:33 PM
Rising enhancement bonuses count a special materials for bypassing DR as follows:

+1: Magic
+3: Cold Iron / Silver
+4: Adamantine
+5: Alignment-Based DR

Jade_Tarem
2014-01-10, 04:37 PM
Damage Reduction only applies to physical (slashing, piercing, crushing, falling, bludgeoning, etc.) damage. Anything with an energy descriptor (fire, cold, electricity, acid, sonic) or something more esoteric (holy, unholy, force, etc.) will always bypass all DR, even DR/-.

Nightbringer's list is correct, but one more entry can be added for the Mythic rules: weapons with a total enhancement bonus or equivalent enhancement bonus of +6 or greater will bypass DR/epic. That means that a +3 Speed weapon will overcome DR/epic, while a +5 weapon won't. This is not true of the other kinds - only the enhancement bonus (the +X part) matters for those.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-01-10, 04:55 PM
Rising enhancement bonuses count a special materials for bypassing DR as follows:

+1: Magic
+3: Cold Iron / Silver
+4: Adamantine
+5: Alignment-Based DR

To avoid confusion I would add that spells such as greater magic weapon or greater magic fang DO not let a weapon bypass DR aside from magic.

TuggyNE
2014-01-10, 10:22 PM
Also, when do magic spells, spell-likes, and supernatural abilities bypass DR? It seems obvious that magical fire would bypass /magic. Does it bypass other DR? What about mundane fire, or things like alchemical items (acid, alchemist's fire, etc.)?

This was already mostly answered, but for clarity's sake: all energy damage, mundane or otherwise, bypasses DR automatically. A flaming sword, a house fire, a torch, alchemist's fire, scorching ray, and incendiary cloud would all do full fire damage no matter what DR was in effect.

JeenLeen
2014-01-24, 09:13 AM
Thank you.

Does any +X allow one to bypass DR vs. bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing?
I assume the things that always bypass DR (fire, force, etc., including alchemist's fire and torches) bypass DR/bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing.

The question came up while fighting skeletons, but I wanted to get all the rules straight.

Psyren
2014-01-24, 09:41 AM
No, you need the actual "edge type" (S/P/B) to bypass those particular defenses. Many weapons do two of them, and some even do all three, so this shouldn't be much of a barrier.

Ravens_cry
2014-01-24, 10:03 AM
Be a Paladin (or Antipaladin, though valid targets are rarer). Smite bypasses any and all DR against valid targets.

JeenLeen
2014-01-24, 11:04 AM
No, you need the actual "edge type" (S/P/B) to bypass those particular defenses. Many weapons do two of them, and some even do all three, so this shouldn't be much of a barrier.

Bummer, but understandable.
Actual magic (like a fireball) or mundane elemental things (alchemist's fire, acid, a torch) still bypass that, though, right?

Psyren
2014-01-24, 12:14 PM
Bummer, but understandable.
Actual magic (like a fireball) or mundane elemental things (alchemist's fire, acid, a torch) still bypass that, though, right?

Correct, the above only applies to physical damage.

Ziegander
2014-01-24, 12:18 PM
Also, DR/-- cannot be bypassed by any physical damage (except Smite, I believe).

grarrrg
2014-01-24, 08:25 PM
Also, DR/-- cannot be bypassed by any physical damage (except Smite, I believe).

Smite and Greater Penetrating Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-penetrating-strike-combat---final).
Considering you need to be a level 16 Fighter for the latter though...