PDA

View Full Version : Alex mercer virus race homebrew

Twixiesparkle
2014-01-10, 04:21 PM
ok so this is my first ever homebrew and I'm a long time lurker, first time poster

The title says it all, the virus race from prototype, I've tried to make it so that there is as few LA's as possible

so without further adieu here it is

-4d10 racial hit dice

-Full Base Attack Bonus

-Poor will, good reflex and good fortitude save progression

- -2 charisma +2 con

-Base land speed 50"

-Polymorph at will
-can only polymorph into creatures you have absorbed

-Absorption
-Things you can absorb with a move action:
-Unaware creatures (so long as they are 2 or more hit dice below you)
-Helpless enemies
-an enemy that had just died within reach
-Things that take a full round action to absorb
-Creatures that have died more than one round ago
-Absorbing enemies heals you XDY where X is half their hit dice and Y is their most common hit dice
-Absorption absorbs one key ability of a creature and all the memories
-Requires a full round action to switch between abilities

-Damage multipliers
-x3 damage from alchemical silver
-X2 damage from cold iron
-x2 damage from fire

-Healing spells hurt the character

-Can not heal naturally from alchemical silver or cold iron damage, only absorption will heal it

-Modified Spider climb at will
-can use the run action on walls but can not walk on ceilings

-if killed, loose a 2 levels and find a new host body with none of your previous absorbed abilities 1d20 days later

and that's all I have at the moment, any suggestions or criticism would be appreciated

AuraTwilight
2014-01-10, 04:30 PM
Polymorph at-will, even if it's only creatures you've absorbed, is so goddamn powerful there is literally no way you can prevent LA even with 4 racial hit die. Atleast change it to Shape Change.

Also, what type is this race? I can't tell.

Milo v3
2014-01-11, 10:00 PM
You don't get to choose the Base Attack Bonus or saves for a Race, or even what Hit Dice is used for the Racial Hit dice. Instead it is based on the creatures type, which you haven't mentioned.

Secondly, definitely don't follow the suggestion to change it to Shapechange as that is even more overpowered than Polymorph. I believe that person was thinking of Change Shape.

Third, use proper formatting. The absorption ability is honestly hard to understand because you put all of it at the same level of bullet point.

Fourth, I suggest for the wall running that you make it a proper ability rather than just saying modified Spider Climb as Spider Climb requires you to use your hands.

Fifth, automatic resurrection is ridiculously powerful and the information isn't really enough to properly understand whats happening as it refers to a host when their is no mention of a host in the rest.

This race would have a really large LA.

One of the main issues I see with this being a race, is that it's powers are more like class abilities than the weak abilities races get. Though I may be biased because of making Alex Mercer Classes.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-11, 11:01 PM
Secondly, definitely don't follow the suggestion to change it to Shapechange as that is even more overpowered than Polymorph. I believe that person was thinking of Change Shape.

Ah, I was, my apologies. Jeeze, they should really have made those spells more distinct.

Milo v3
2014-01-11, 11:11 PM
Ah, I was, my apologies. Jeeze, they should really have made those spells more distinct.

Well, change shape isn't a spell. It's a supernatural ability that some creatures (and some homebrew classes) have.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-11, 11:26 PM
Bwah, I knew that too! >_< I really need to stop speaking non-native languages at 5 in the morning.