PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Gestalt Question

Macabros
2014-01-10, 05:08 PM
I was looking into making a gestalt character in the campaign we are about to run. Its a level 1 campaign in Pathfinder but we can use 3.5 Classes.

I was thinking of things that synch to INT
But I am not sure which to use.
I do love psionics but some DMs do not permit them.

So I am thinking maybe something like
Warblade//Factotum
Warblade//Artificer
Warblade//Wizard
Factotum//Artificer
Factotum//Wizard
Artificer//Wizard
Wizard//Factotum

Which out of those would be the best for a long run campaign?
I have not nailed down a style yet. I kinda like the idea of slinging spells but also not being afraid to pull a sword and stab some fool.

Rebel7284
2014-01-10, 07:19 PM
How is your Factotum//Wizard different from your Wizard//Factotum? :smallbiggrin:

For the record, either the Wizard Factotum or Factotum Artificer are probably the best. Both do super silly things with just a little bit of planning.

Darth Stabber
2014-01-11, 01:57 AM
Have you considered archivist//factotum? Archivist uses divine spells instead of arcane and with the combination you have a VERY wide access to effects (especially if your GM is lax about letting you get divine scrolls from ranger, paladin, druid, domains, and divine bard). Just an option, mostly the same as wizard, but has actual class abilities (mostly related to monster knowledge checks)

Either way, warblade//wizard is a bad combination. They may have synergy, but they are both active classed (as in they both want to make use of your standard/fullround action every turn). You could make it work, but it involves subpar choices and bad action economy. Both classes are good choices for one half of a gestalt character, but they don't mix as well as it would seem.

Factotum however is a fairly passive class, most of it's abilities are passive bonuses or non-actions to activate (the spells aside, which is only a small part of what it can do). This frees up you actions for your other class to use. If you are a warblade//factotum and you get the drop on some one you can spend inspiration to add sneak attack to your maneuvers. If you are a wizard//factotum you can spend 3 inspiration for what amounts to a free quickening. Factotum adds more to warblade than it does to wizard, if only because wizard is already so much better.

Artificer can be either active or passive. If you want to be a wand spammer then it's active, but you can rearrange the features to be excellent supporting features. From an RP perspective I would be interested in playing an artificer//warblade as the idea of a wandering warrior/smith seeking to be the master of the sword in every way is interesting to me. However if I were going for raw power I would partner it with factotum because you can do some truely crazy crap that way.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-01-11, 02:48 AM
How is your Factotum//Wizard different from your Wizard//Factotum? :smallbiggrin:

For the record, either the Wizard Factotum or Factotum Artificer are probably the best. Both do super silly things with just a little bit of planning.

What's the appreciable difference between a Glaive-Guisarme and a Guisarme-Glaive (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html)?

I'd second the viability of Archivist//Factotum - huge access to spells, excellent passive buffs from the Factotum side, pick up DMM: Persist for buffs and you can be anything, from sneaky thief to tanky tank. Does require some Wis (or Dex or Str with Illumian and the right Sigils) though. But an Uurkrau Illumian Archivist//Factotum archer can be pretty spectacular.

I'm intrigued by the Artificer//Warblade Warrior/Smith idea Stabber suggested, personally, but that's mostly 'cause I've done the Uurkrau Illumian before.