PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] “ So we grew together, seemingly parted but yet a union in partition.”

Adam1949
2014-01-10, 06:40 PM
Related Threads

This is intended as supplementary material for "Mythos" classes, a special variety and subsystem created by Xefas. It's a "Racial Paragon" in the same vein as the previously-made "Human" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320038), "Kobold" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16645312), and "Reth Dekala" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16718230) varieties. In this case, it is for a cult-classic among those who enjoy confusing their GMs and breaking action economy, the Dvati. I have taken liberties with the fluff of the race—to the point that they are no longer a separate race, much like Xefas' take on the Reth Dekala—but they are still recognizably 'the Twin race'. Please critique on anything you see with it. Thank you.

Below are currently the three 'original' examples of the Mythos subsystem for which this race is built for.

The Olethrofex (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16517470)
The Teramach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286983)
The Kathodos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15947087)

Due to requests, I will no longer post the 'iconics' tri-fold picture for Mythic Races. Instead, Here is a link (http://i.imgur.com/OfdZ8Jc.png) to the picture.

"My sister and I, you will recollect, were twins, and you know how subtle are the links which bind two souls which are so closely allied." ~Helen Stoner, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Mythic Dvati

As the sages know, it is the law of the universe that all living things have a soul. By extension, all souls have a body. Finally, based on the internal logic of these laws, it can thus be stated that all bodies must have started with a single soul, and that all souls must have equally been housed in a single body. But this was not always so.

In ancient times, before the modern gods took up their mantle, in the era of the Primordials and the Lawgivers, a single spirit was created, and immediately it split into two. Identical in nearly every way, these half-beings were claimed by neither those of Law nor by those of Chaos. And so, having no one else to lean on or assist them, the duo struck out on their own, deeming it fit to become self-sufficient, having only their reflection for true company.

They called themselves Dati and Vati, and except for their gender (which, to this day, no one knows which was who and who was which) they were complete and utter duplicates of each other. For one to look into the other was for them to see their own reflection, and thus their own perfection. The couple was inseparable, doing everything together, and refusing to bow to any other. After all, what might could cower them as long as their partner was at their side? What traitor could hope to betray them with their perfect self at their back? Who could claim to take them as their ally when the only friendship they needed was staring right back at them?

As the years passed on and on, the Lawgivers and the Primordials both saw the error they had made in their judgement: these two souls, unbreakable and resolute, were more than powerful enough when united to stand up to anything they sent at them, against all odds. And so, despite their long-standing hatred with each other, both sides proved their similarities by each separately devising a cunning, cruel, merciless plan.

An ambassador from each side was sent to their home, a grand hall constructed from their pilfered treasures, to attempt to convince them of their cause. The Primordial arrived first, and when he was invited in he immediately feigned shock upon seeing Dati. Why, said to the lying man, Dati looked like just the spitting image of the long-lost heir to the Throne of Chaos! At the back of the hall, the lithe and conniving messenger from the Lawgivers was pretending to be in awe of Vati. According to her, Vati could be mistaken for none other than the child of the former ruler of her people! These were both lies, of course, but the twins now felt a twinge of suspicion against their comrade; had they lied to them, all these years? Their work complete, the two unaffiliated ambassadors left the house, smiling to themselves.

Later that day, the two came to a heated argument, each convinced that the other was a traitor, a thief, and more importantly a liar. They came to blows, each one using all their strength against the other. However, after a long and drawn-out fight, the twins realized that neither could muster even half of their full potential without the other to back them up. Finally understanding that they were weak alone, but unable to once more team together, they made a pact with themselves. Both taking out a blade, they embraced each other one last time, before stabbing themselves, cutting short their life, and falling to the ground, hand-in-hand, blood mingling with blood.

The next day, the ambassadors returned to see if they had succeeded, but were surprised to see their counterpart doing the same. As they were about to fight, they heard a strange sound coming from within... the cries of children, ringing in unison. Grudgingly, they both agreed to go inside so as to investigate, and before long came upon two infants, shivering and holding each other tightly. One was a male with snow-white hair, the other was a girl with hair a raven-black. Quickly, without a word, the opposing diplomats took a child each, although who took who has been lost to time. They fled the scene, refusing to look back, and raised the child they had claimed as one of their side in the war.

Since that era, mortals have been born with the same old rule: one body, one soul. But very rarely, when a son of Dati and a daughter of Vati couple (or vice-versa), they are blessed with twins, each housing half a soul within them, and bound by fate to emulate their legendary predecessors. These paired mortals are known in legend as Dvati, in recognition of their progenitors.

New Feat: The Legacy of the Hidden Pair
Prerequisite: One Mythos, must have a twin that also has at least one mythos that chooses this feat as well. (Note: A part of a larger sibling group, such as a brother and a sister from a group of triplets, is also allowed)
Benefit: Choose one Mythos-granting class that you have levels in. You may treat the following Mythos as if they belonged to that class. Your maximum hit points increase by 1 for every [Skill Trick] you possess.

If you somehow lose this feat, or no longer qualify for it, you cease to gain the benefits of the granted Mythos until you regain this feat or qualify for it once more.

Finally, whenever you would gain a Mythos from this feat, your twin must also gain that same Mythos (Mythos' gained from your class or classes are not required to be the same, however). If level loss from such effects as Raise Dead, different amounts of experienced gained, or other such things make it so that you and your twin have differing levels, then the twin that is of the lower level must take whatever Mythos the other has taken when they next gain the opportunity to do so.

Exceptional Mythos

Confusion of the Entwined Soul
Prerequisite: —
As Dati and Vati in the past were well-known to do, so has their descendants learned how to manipulate others into misdirection and confusion. After all, when you share your face with another person, it is well-worth the effort to learn what goes on behind that face as well.
You gain the Assume Quirk and Second Impression skill tricks, and the Deceitful feat as a bonus feat. These do not count towards the maximum number of skill tricks you may learn.
You may use the Disguise skill to impersonate your twin without taking an action to do so, and are always considered to have rolled a natural 20 on the relevant check. You gain a +20 racial bonus on Bluff checks when attempting to convince someone that you are your twin, and characters attempting a Sense Motive check to develop a Hunch that you're not your twin take a -20 penalty to the check.
Divination effects that attempt to locate, discern information about, or inflict a saving throw upon, you or your twin, that is not itself cast by you or your twin, automatically fails.

Two-Faced Trickster Archetype
The mythical twins were loyal to each other unto death, watching each other's backs even when their foes believed them to be miles apart. Although the power has waned over the years, you and your reflection have learned much the same.
You and your twin may communicate over any distance telepathically, even across planes.
In addition, as long as you and your twin remain within 20 feet per character level of each other, you may both choose a single target that both of you can see. That target is considered flanked for both of you, even if either or both of you are out of flanking range.
As well, the two of you share a gestalt mind with one another; if one of you isn't flanked, neither of you count as flanked, and if one of you isn't flat-footed, then neither of you count as flat-footed.
Finally, if the target would go through a space threatened by either twin, the other twin may make an attack of opportunity against them as long as they have a weapon that could reach them (this often means that both twins carry at least daggers for throwing, if not a bow or other ranged weapon).

Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace
Refusing to obey the orders or commands of any but themselves, Vati and Dati often spent many nights patching each other up from the day's fights, cheering each other up, and overall keeping the other as close to their heart as possible. The world would be a better place if more were like that. You and your twin are living proof of this.
As long as you and your twin are on the same plane, you may, as a free action, grant some of your vitality to them, in a twisted version of self-centeredness. By sacrificing any amount of your lifeforce (as long as your HP goes no further than to 1), your twin recovers the same amount of HP, any excess becoming Temporary HP.
In addition, whenever you or your twin has less HP then your other half, you gain fast healing equal to your class level, up until you are at the same amount of HP as your twin, and no higher.
As well, you and your twin use the better between the of you's Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saving throw bonuses.
Finally, whenever both you and your twin are required to make a saving throw from the same effect, if both of you succeed the two of you are treated as having the Mettle and Evasion special abilities for the purpose of resolving the saving throw.

Ettinform Magus Litany
Most legends paint Dati and Vati as a mighty warrior and a cunning mage, but others believe that both were equally skilled in the two disciples, complimenting each other rather then covering the other's weaknesses. You and your twin can coordinate with much the same force.
You gain Energy Gestalt (CM) and Spell Rehearsal (RotD) as bonus feats. In addition, if both you and your twin cast the proper spells in order, you may count said castings as though it came sequentially from a single caster. For example, if you were to cast an Acid spell, and your twin then cast a Fire spell, your twin would be able to make use of the Acrid Fumes tactical maneuver as though they themselves had cast the two spells.
Finally, the twins may make use of a special technique in order to combine their magical strength. Both twins may concentrate on a single spell, using up both of their turns. If this is used on a spell which has a casting time shorter than a full-round action, it becomes a full-round action. When the spell is cast, it is treated in all ways as though it were cast by a spellcaster one level higher than the highest-level twin, even if only one twin can cast spells. If both twins are spellcasters, this bonus increases to being cast by someone two levels higher. If the twins are of the same spellcasting class, and know the same spell as the one being cast, this bonus increases to being cast by someone three levels higher.

Fantastic Mythos

Inner Reflection, Outer Mastery
Prerequisite: At least 1 Mythos gained by The Legacy of the Hidden Pair
Vati and Dati saw each other as their perfect partner in every activity, and saw themselves as imperfect reflections of one another. As such, they spent much of their time learning from their twin, gaining knowledge and practicing their skills in case one ever got too injured. You and your twin can mimic each other as well, to a certain extent.
A number of times per day equal to half their class level, you may utilize an Exceptional Mythos that your twin has taken that you do not have, or a basic manifestation of one that you do.
At 10th level, you may utilize Fantastic Mythos you do not have, the Basic manifestations of those you do have, or the Advanced manifestations of Exceptional Mythos that you both share as well.

Blaring Harmonic Teamwork
Prerequisite: At least 1 Mythos gained by The Legacy of the Hidden Pair
The twins of old were self-taught, technically. What one learned, the other gleaned from them. Both were teacher, both were student. Like them, you and your reflection have mastered abilities so as to be more perfect versions of each other.
Choose a single skill that is a class skill for you. Your twin may treat this skill as a class skill no matter what class they are in, and they gain a +3 circumstance bonus to it as well. If you are within 10 feet per character level of them, this bonus doubles. If you are physically touching them, this bonus instead triples.
In addition, choose a single spell, martial maneuver, invocation, or mystery that you know. Your twin may use this as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1/day). If you are in physical contact with them, they may use it at-will. The maximum caster or initiator level of the ability you choose is equal to your natural Charisma modifier (that is to say, without the bonuses gained from spells or magical items, minimum caster/initiator level 1). Whenever you gain a level, you have the option to take away the spell-like ability from your twin and replace it with a different one.

Legendary Mythos

Undying Bond of Forbidden Hope
Prerequisite: At least two Mythos gained from The Legacy of the Hidden Pair, one of which is The Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace Mythos
Darker myths paint Dati and Vati as undead, each one taking the other as their phylactery, and thus achieving true immortality. Whether this is based in fact or not, it cannot be argued that both of the twins lived a very long time, and both you and your doppelgänger have found a way to sustain one another... until one of you snaps, at least.
When you take this Mythos, you must permanently lose a single point in your highest attribute (as your twin must take this Mythos as well, they must also pay this price when they obtain it), and must stay within 10 feet of your twin for 24 hours.
Forevermore afterwards, neither you nor your twin can ever die from a death effect, damage, attribute damage or drain, or any other source of lethality. If such an event would happen, the character is instead sent to -9 HP and is automatically stabilized. The twin that is not currently suffering this effect knows exactly where in the multiverse there other half is, down to the exact distance if they are on the same plane, as well as feeling a heart-wrenching pain in their chest for as long as they are under 0 HP.
The only way to kill either twin is for both to be brought down to 0 HP or less, and then having a single attack damage both of them at once (such as from a Fireball). There is a second way to kill the twins, but it is almost unthinkable, considering the effort and deep-rooted connection needed to forge the Mythos and bond; if both attack one another at the same time with a melee weapon (including thrown weapons and natural weapons), both with the intention to kill, the bond is forever broken, and this Mythos is lost without refund.

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-10, 09:17 PM
...So I'll say it again.

There is an indicative pronoun, used in pointing out the location of an object.

Their is the possessive form of the third-person plural pronoun they. I assume "Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace" requires this one.

Personally, I'm willing to blame faulty spellcheck software.

Adam1949
2014-01-10, 10:00 PM
There is an indicative pronoun, used in pointing out the location of an object.

Their is the possessive form of the third-person plural pronoun they. I assume "Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace" requires this one.

I just now proof-read it, and saw where the mistake was in "Get a Hold of Thereself". It is now fixed.

Personally, I'm willing to blame faulty spellcheck software.
You'd be correct, since I'm using wordpad to type this all up, which has no spell-check built into it. Too poor for Word, you see. Also I'd like to offer up that there is a lot of uses of the word "There", "Their", and "Twin" in the thing. It hurt to read through, honestly.

Besides the spelling errors, what do you think?

Draken
2014-01-10, 10:13 PM
I just now proof-read it, and saw where the mistake was in "Get a Hold of Thereself". It is now fixed.

You'd be correct, since I'm using wordpad to type this all up, which has no spell-check built into it. Too poor for Word, you see. Also I'd like to offer up that there is a lot of uses of the word "There", "Their", and "Twin" in the thing. It hurt to read through, honestly.

Besides the spelling errors, what do you think?

My prime concern is that while the whole thing is generally very difficult to use, the capstone mythos is just really impractical.

Xefas
2014-01-10, 10:15 PM
Alright, lets do this.

http://i.imgur.com/yzFXyEd.jpg

That picture of Desna and Eska is kind of horrendous. I did a quick shop that, while still not amazing, is a little better, I think. You can use it if you want. If not, that's fine too.

http://i.imgur.com/OfdZ8Jc.png

My sister and I, you will recollect, were twins, and you know how subtle are the links which bind two souls which are so closely allied. ~Helen Stoner, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Cool.

The Mythic Dvati

fluff

Cool. Vasharanpaladin is already giving you the English teacher treatment, so I don't think you need any more of that :smallwink:. The content is fine.

New Feat: The Legacy of the Hidden Pair
Prerequisite: One Mythos, must have a twin that also has at least one mythos that chooses this feat as well. (Note: A part of a larger sibling group, such as a brother and a sister from a group of triplets, is also allowed)
Benefit: Choose one Mythos-granting class that you have levels in. You may treat the following Mythos as if they belonged to that class. Your maximum hit points increase by 1 for every [Skill Trick] or [Tactical] feat you possess.

If you somehow lose this feat, or no longer qualify for it, you cease to gain the benefits of the granted Mythos until you regain this feat or qualify for it once more.

Finally, whenever you would gain a Mythos from this feat, your twin must also gain that same Mythos (Mythos' gained from your class or classes are not required to be the same, however). If level loss from such effects as Raise Dead, different amounts of experienced gained, or other such things make it so that you and your twin have differing levels, then the twin that is of the lower level must take whatever Mythos the other has taken when they next gain the opportunity to do so.

Skill Tricks are cheaper to acquire than feats, typically. I'd say it should either give a bonus for Skill Tricks only, or a bonus for [Tactical] feats, feats that improve your Aid Another actions, and feats that directly grant attack bonus or armor class bonuses to nearby allies (such as Phalanx Fighting or Constant Guardian).

Confusion of the Entwined Soul

Good, but I think the wording could be better, and it could be a little stronger. Think about this:

You gain the Assume Quirk and Second Impression skill tricks, and the Deceitful feat as a bonus feat. These do not count towards the maximum number of skill tricks you may learn.

You may use the Disguise skill to impersonate your twin without taking an action to do so, and are always considered to have rolled a natural 20 on the relevant check. You gain a +20 racial bonus on Bluff checks when attempting to convince someone that you are your twin, and characters attempting a Sense Motive check to develop a Hunch that you're not your twin take a -20 penalty to the check.

Divination effects that attempt to locate, discern information about, or inflict a saving throw upon, you or your twin, that is not itself cast by you or your twin, automatically fails.

Two-Faced Trickster Archetype

I feel like you're trying to, pun not intended, do two things with this.

The Mythos sharing idea is cool, but I think it should be its own fleshed out Mythos. The non Mythos sharing part could then be expanded upon. For instance, stealing the Formian Hive Mind ability; if one twin is not flat-footed, neither are - if one twin is not flanked, neither are.

Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace

I like the idea, and it works, but I think you could do something in the same vein, but more unique. Things like, as long as one twin has more hit points than the other, the other twin gains Fast Healing. The twins always use the better Reflex (or Fortitude, or Will) saving throw bonus of the two. If a single effect targets both twins, if the first one to roll a saving throw succeeds, the other gains a substantial bonus; if both succeed, they have Evasion and Mettle for the purposes of resolving that saving throw.

Ettinform Magus Litany

This is pretty rad.

Undying Bond of Forbidden Hope

Awesome, but I'd say a bit too potent for a Fantastic tier Mythos. Has some (probably) unintended implications with abilities that allow you to act while in negative hit points.

Blaring Harmonic Teamwork

The ability to make the Eredar Twins (http://www.wowwiki.com/Eredar_Twins), with one Swordsage giving a Warlock the ability to use the Inferno Blast maneuver at-will as a spell-like ability, and therefore subject to their spell-like ability enhancing feats, like Quicken Spell-Like Ability, is amusing.

The capacity for at-will free wishes, and simulacrums and stuff, isn't as much.

Tantric Isolation Shintai

There's nothing necessarily wrong with this. It's just counter-intuitive, I think, to have the capstone of a set of abilities completely remove the whole schtick that a player would take the abilities for in the first place; playing twins. Now you're playing a funky fused character, which is cool, but if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have made a whole character concept based on twins and taken the twin-themed Mythos set!

But, that could just be me. I, personally, was hoping for something more twin~y.

Adam1949
2014-01-10, 10:45 PM
Alright, lets do this.

That picture of Desna and Eska is kind of horrendous. I did a quick shop that, while still not amazing, is a little better, I think. You can use it if you want. If not, that's fine too.
That's what I get for using Paint, I suppose. I'll replace the picture with yours, thank you.

Skill Tricks are cheaper to acquire than feats, typically. I'd say it should either give a bonus for Skill Tricks only, or a bonus for [Tactical] feats, feats that improve your Aid Another actions, and feats that directly grant attack bonus or armor class bonuses to nearby allies (such as Phalanx Fighting or Constant Guardian).
Hmm, you're right. I must have gotten them confused for normal feats. I'll change it to just [Skill Trick], then.

Good, but I think the wording could be better, and it could be a little stronger. Think about this:

That seems a lot cleaner than my attempt, yes.

I feel like you're trying to, pun not intended, do two things with this.

The Mythos sharing idea is cool, but I think it should be its own fleshed out Mythos. The non Mythos sharing part could then be expanded upon. For instance, stealing the Formian Hive Mind ability; if one twin is not flat-footed, neither are - if one twin is not flanked, neither are.

Aye, this one always felt a bit clunky to me. However, I didn't want to make too many Mythos, for fear of breaking your 7-Mythos chassis.

I like the idea, and it works, but I think you could do something in the same vein, but more unique. Things like, as long as one twin has more hit points than the other, the other twin gains Fast Healing. The twins always use the better Reflex (or Fortitude, or Will) saving throw bonus of the two. If a single effect targets both twins, if the first one to roll a saving throw succeeds, the other gains a substantial bonus; if both succeed, they have Evasion and Mettle for the purposes of resolving that saving throw.

I'll re-write this one to include things like that. I wasn't sure if it would be too powerful as an Exceptional Mythos to grant them so many abilities.

Awesome, but I'd say a bit too potent for a Fantastic tier Mythos. Has some (probably) unintended implications with abilities that allow you to act while in negative hit points.
Ay-ay-ay, this ability. Yeah, it seemed strong in the creation stages, too. I'll move it up a tier, and have it replace the buggy Shintai.

The ability to make the Eredar Twins (http://www.wowwiki.com/Eredar_Twins), with one Swordsage giving a Warlock the ability to use the Inferno Blast maneuver at-will as a spell-like ability, and therefore subject to their spell-like ability enhancing feats, like Quicken Spell-Like Ability, is amusing.

The capacity for at-will free wishes, and simulacrums and stuff, isn't as much.

What would you suggest for changing, then? Perhaps putting a limit on their highest-level abilities? The way I envisioned it, considering you need to be fairly decently invested in a Mythos class in order to even access this ability, it would stifle any other classes you took enough that you wouldn't even be able to give free wishes all day every day. :smalleek:

There's nothing necessarily wrong with this. It's just counter-intuitive, I think, to have the capstone of a set of abilities completely remove the whole schtick that a player would take the abilities for in the first place; playing twins. Now you're playing a funky fused character, which is cool, but if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have made a whole character concept based on twins and taken the twin-themed Mythos set!

But, that could just be me. I, personally, was hoping for something more twin~y.
Indeed. I didn't like it much, either. I'll replace it with the aforementioned Undying Bond.

Network
2014-01-10, 11:41 PM
What would you suggest for changing, then? Perhaps putting a limit on their highest-level abilities? The way I envisioned it, considering you need to be fairly decently invested in a Mythos class in order to even access this ability, it would stifle any other classes you took enough that you wouldn't even be able to give free wishes all day every day. :smalleek:
Maybe not the full 9th-level wish, but since you only need 7 levels in a Mythos class to get it, leaving you with 13 other levels pre-epic (enough to get access to 7th-level spells), you may still be able to do shenanigans with limited wish, simulacrum, and others. If the game is set at least four level post-epic, you might just be able to mass-produce ice assassins of Ao.

Adam1949
2014-01-11, 07:45 PM
Updated to include all the suggestions. Yay!

vasharanpaladin
2014-01-11, 09:36 PM
Okay, next? I strongly recommend double-spacing between paragraphs in the mythos. Also between the bold lines and the actual text of them. Makes it easier to read. :smallwink:

Also, the limit you've placed on "Blaring Harmonic Teamwork" kind of isn't one. Note that you can have a "natural" Charisma bonus of +10, assuming certain loopholes regarding the definition of the word "inherent" and that you have not dumped Charisma and taken one of the two races that give a bonus to it. You may have to be clearer about exactly what "natural" means (reducing it to a +7 bonus without inherent bonuses, but that's still the highest level you can cast and still take this mythos).

I recommend "level = highest tier of mythos taken." At the risk of being persecuted for diminishing awesome, I kinda prefer erring on the side of caution to ensure it's usable. :smalleek:

Amnoriath
2014-01-11, 10:53 PM
Great flavor as always with with Mythos systems however the Undying Bond of Forbidden Hope makes them virtually unkillable to almost any mundane regardless of level. Two soulmelds grant Diehard or Diehard+ for free and Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace at level 10 already revives them effectively from any hit with the former. At base the two already give an automatic second chance against anything in most situations and would take 4 strong attacks with bleed damage to actually kill them. This is already quite significant as Ubercharging is what makes D&D 3.5 combat so fast. Spells open the opportunity easily and that finishes however this without the immunity gives them a fighting chance. Them being outright immune just compounds immunity(honestly characters such as this won't be failing many saves) in which the only possible way to kill them is to petrify them and destroy them as statues because then they effectively die at 0 not -10 which this protects from. Though immunities with 2 character shouldn't be hard to come by. It also smells of Omnificer stacking.