PDA

View Full Version : Substitution Levels [TCS]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-21, 07:16 PM
Cleric of Solaan
Alignment: NG, CG, or CN.
Race: Elf or half-elf.
Hit Die: d6.
Skills: Add Perform (Cha) to the list of class skills, increase skill points per level to 4 + Int mod.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Music of Solaan, wanderer's knowledge|As standard; see text[/table]

Saves: A cleric of Solaan has a good Reflex save and a bad Fortitude save.
Armor Proficiencies: Clerics of Solaan do not gain proficiency with medium and heavy armors.
Music of Solaan: You can produce bardic music effects instead of turning undead. You gain access to new bardic music abilities as if your cleric level was your bard level, but you can only use these abilities a number of times per day equal to half your cleric level, with a minimum of 1 use per day. You select only 1 domain, but you can prepare spells from the bard spell list in your domain slots.
Wanderer's Knowledge: As bardic knowledge, treating your cleric level as your bard level.
Spellcasting: Add summon instrument to your spell list.
[hr]
There'll be more to come, but what do you guys think?

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 07:31 PM
I dunno, it kind of makes playing a bard redundant, since you could be a Cleric with a level of this and almost mimic it exactly.

I wouldn't mind it if you could produce the effects of a Bard half your level, though.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-21, 07:38 PM
True, true. Well, the bard needs some buffing anyway, but I can still see your point.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 07:45 PM
Other than that I think it's fine. Interesting to say the least. Why do they only pick one domain?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-21, 08:13 PM
That was to balance out them getting bardic music. Also, at one point, I had considered letting them add the bard spell list to the cleric list, with the caveat that if the same spell was given to both at different spell levels, the higher spell level was to be used.

cferejohn
2007-01-21, 08:17 PM
I don't think that nerfing the hit points is particularly necessary, especially seeing as they are limited to light armor. And yeah, I don't see why you'd get only one domain. One more step down the road away from generic clerics though, and I'm all for that...

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 08:19 PM
Can't they get medium and heavy armor proficiency from taking regular Cleric levels though, or am I mis-understanding how substitution levels work?

Edit: Yes, yes I am. Still, a one-level dip into fighter makes up for that.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-21, 08:28 PM
Oh, hey, here's an idea. Why not let them prepare spells from the Bard list in their domain slots?

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 10:17 PM
Oh, hey, here's an idea. Why not let them prepare spells from the Bard list in their domain slots?

I do like that. Almost like a Bard domain but more versatile.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-21, 10:47 PM
I've changed the Music of Solaan ability; tell me how it looks now.

Yakk
2007-01-21, 11:10 PM
Why give them a domain anymore? The bard spell list is pretty damn broad.

I suppose L 7 to 9 spells are missing.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 11:12 PM
I've changed the Music of Solaan ability; tell me how it looks now.

I would say instead of "you can only use these abilities a number of times per day equal to half your cleric level" you just make it so that they have to "burn" a use of Turn Undead to use it. So that would be 3 + Cha mod times a day?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-21, 11:45 PM
The problem with that is that they'll out-Perform bards at low levels.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-21, 11:47 PM
The problem with that is that they'll out-Perform bards at low levels.

Oh yeah. Stupid balancing. :smalltongue: