PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Theurge + Archmage question

Darksword
2014-01-10, 07:32 PM
From the srd on the archmage high arcane reach ability.

The archmage can use spells with a range of touch on a target up to 30 feet away. The archmage must make a ranged touch attack. Arcane reach can be selected a second time as a special ability, in which case the range increases to 60 feet. This ability costs one 7th-level spell slot.
The ability does not say it effect only arcane spells. I have a npc I am working on that is a wizard/ur-priest/mystic Theurge/Archmage. Under raw is there anything that would stop him from applying the reach ability to a divine spell that he can cast. Looking for RAW not RAI

Gemini476
2014-01-10, 07:47 PM
Not as far as I can tell, no. How so? Is there any specific Divine spell that you need to get ranged?

Also you're the DM, and can thus rule whatever way you so choose. And if you're not the DM, why are you making high-level NPCs?

Darksword
2014-01-10, 07:58 PM
I am the DM but I like making characters and I try to make them follow RAW. The spell in question is plane shift. A very nasty spell to use on players to be sure but it works with the story. For wizards it a level 7 spell but it is only a level 5 spell for clerics. The characters know that this caster focuses on planar transportation magic so they will definitely be prepared to face plane shift, but a reach planeshift and a quicken reach plane shift might catch them off guard.

Gemini476
2014-01-10, 08:39 PM
I am the DM but I like making characters and I try to make them follow RAW. The spell in question is plane shift. A very nasty spell to use on players to be sure but it works with the story. For wizards it a level 7 spell but it is only a level 5 spell for clerics. The characters know that this caster focuses on planar transportation magic so they will definitely be prepared to face plane shift, but a reach planeshift and a quicken reach plane shift might catch them off guard.

I'm going to assume that the build is (essentially) Wizard 5/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Archmage 1, right? In that case your NPC is a 16th level character and can cast 1 7th level Wizard spell/day and 1 9th level Cleric spell/day. He probably has better things to do than Plane Shift, like Gate.
Oh, and if the BBEG has Spontaneous Divination and Versatile Spellcaster, he can spend two 6th level Ur-Priest spells (of which he has four) to cast a 7th level Wizard Planeshift. Which is better.

Why the Wizard planeshift? Because the Save DC for spells is 10+Spell Level+Attribute Modifier. I suppose that it's worth using Ur-Priest Planeshift if Int is four points lower than Wis, but eh.

Also, the Save DC for Planeshift is just going to be 24 (assuming 7th level Paneshift, 15 int from Elite Array, +4 from levelup and a +6 item). That's high-ish, but this is a CR16 character with 9th level spells.

But anyway, you can use High arcana with all spells you cast (as far as I can tell.)

Big Fau
2014-01-10, 08:39 PM
Yes it works, but Divine Metamagic+Reach Spell does the same thing with a pure Cleric.

AWiz_Abroad
2014-01-10, 08:45 PM
Or any of metamagic reducer 1 (Metamagic School focus say) + Arcane Thesis Planeshift.

Or without the feats, Reach Planeshift is a 9th Level spell. Archmage SLA that.