PDA

View Full Version : Working on Character for Upcoming Campaign: Egoist/Sangehirn (3.5)

Zach J.
2014-01-10, 07:55 PM
As I said in a previous thread I have been recently invited to play in an upcoming D&D campaign. The other players have decided to make a paladin, a rogue and either a sorcerer or a wizard. I had decided upon a cleric, but have recently begun to question that choice. You see in the last campaign I played in I made a cleric for a similar party (a fighter, a paladin, a rogue and a sorcerer).

The cleric was a radiant servant of Pelor and I built him as a formidable healer. I know that that is a less than optimal path for a cleric, but even with my lackluster feat selection and my spell choices I managed to prove be a thorn in my DM's side. He had a couple years experience as a Dungeon Master, but not much experience with spellcasters, or at least with spellcasters that did anything besides cast damage dealing spells. There were several times in the game where he would introduce a challenge that I would solve with a single spell, leading to his muttering, "I forgot you could do that."

I'd like to avoid similar situations in this game as this is the new DM's first time running. It's hard enough trying to plan suitable challenges for a party, let alone a party that includes a member who can change their spells every day.

I'd still like to play a healer and I'd like to limit myself to just a couple books if possible, including the Player's Handbook. I've always liked psionics, but have never really had the opportunity to play a psionic character. With that in mind I decided to try to make a psionic healer, an egoist who eventually takes the sangehirn prestige class: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c

Do you have any tips and tricks for a player who is relatively new to psionics? How should I explain the system to a DM who is even less familiar with it than I am? Can one make a reasonable healer just using the Player's Handbook, the Psionics Handbook and the one online article (I'm fine using more web content from The Mind's Eye if neccessary...)?

Zach J.
2014-01-10, 09:45 PM
What I've come up with so far...

NG Human or Dwarf Psion (Egoist) 1

Stats: Unknown

Skills: Heal (4 ranks)

Feats: Unknown although I need to take Mind Over Body and Psionic Body before I can qualify for the Sangehirn prestige class.

Powers Known: Vigor,2 more

I know I'll be taking the Empathic Transfer power at level 3, but I'm not sure of my others at the moment. Since I have to take the Psionic Body feat to qualify for my prestige class I'd like to take some more psionic feats to maximize its benefits. Any suggestions?

Psyren
2014-01-10, 10:06 PM
If he's that inexperienced then introducing a new subsystem that needs to be explained and tracked differently than regular magic may not be the best way to go.

The only Sangehirn advice I can give (other than "don't, it's not worth the lost level") is to drop it after 3 levels since (a) most of its powers are on the egoist list anyway and (b) healing touch will apply to any power on its list even if you pick it up with egoist levels. The DR and fast healing are too weak to matter as well.

Zach J.
2014-01-10, 10:19 PM
She is inexperienced so you may be right. I think the paladin's player wants to play a crusader now so that may alleviate a bit of the power disparity. I'd like to play a priestly character since we've got a fairly classic adventuring party at the moment and because those are my favorite types of characters to play. I may suck it up and stick with my cleric... Maybe a Favored Soul?