PDA

View Full Version : Silence spell offering Will Save?

Randomocity132
2014-01-11, 12:10 AM
The Silence spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm) describes possible targets, including a point in space, an object, or a creature. It then goes on to say that an unwilling creature gets a save to not be affected. I had taken this to mean that if I tried to cast it on a creature, they get a save to not be affected. Can I simply cast it on myself, or a pebble in my hand, and walk within 20 feet of them to silence them without offering a Will Save?

Evandar
2014-01-11, 12:17 AM
"The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any."

I would rule that you could just center it on yourself and then walk up to your enemy while not granting a Will save/SR. I think you get the Will save versus the spell (centered on you, and you're willing), and it's only the effect that radiates outwards (which arguably doesn't count as 'the spell').

ericgrau
2014-01-11, 12:24 AM
Ya that's been the old tactic against casters since 2e. They can attempt to leave the area of silence after you walk up to them though.

Duke of Urrel
2014-01-11, 01:28 AM
"The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any."

I would rule that you could just center it on yourself and then walk up to your enemy while not granting a Will save/SR. I think you get the Will save versus the spell (centered on you, and you're willing), and it's only the effect that radiates outwards (which arguably doesn't count as 'the spell').

I agree with this. The "Saving Throw" line of the Silence spell's statistics block doesn't simply say "Will negates"; it also directs you to the descriptive text. And this text mentions only a few specific cases in which Will saves are granted, and each case is a creature, a worn or carried item, or a sound-emitting magic item upon which the spellcaster tries to center the Silence spell, so as to make it travel along with this creature or item.

If it were generally true that any creature entering a sphere of Silence could make a Will save against it, then the "Saving Throw" line would have ended with the words "Will negates" and left it at that.