PDA

View Full Version : ethereal bag of holding?

flamewolf393
2014-01-11, 01:05 AM
From what Ive seen, I am pretty sure this is how it works, but just wanted to ask anyway.

Lets say an incorporeal creature has a bag of holding on the ethereal plane with it. When held open, the opening of the bag of holding is in fact part of the extradimensional space that the bag contains. If the ethereal creature holds the bag open, can a physical creature place items in the bag since the OPENING of the bag is not actually ethereal? And the incorporeal creature could then reach in and retrieve it.

OldTrees1
2014-01-11, 01:41 AM
IIRC

The bag is ethereal not incorporeal. It does not exist on the material plane in any form (unlike the ghost that is on both planes simultaneously). The ghost can use the bag as normal but people on the material plane will not see or interact with its contents.

flamewolf393
2014-01-11, 01:50 AM
Im fairly certain that if an incorporeal creature is visible, so is its gear. Even if we say the bag itself is not visible, we can easily guess where it is by how the creature is holding it.

And when held open by the incorporeal creature, the OPENING of the bag is not actually on either plane. It acts specifically like a gate to the pocket dimension and can be interacted with by any plane that is co-existent with the space the opening occupies.

...hmm I guess I should make sure its tied really tightly before walking through any walls :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2014-01-11, 02:44 AM
Im fairly certain that if an incorporeal creature is visible, so is its gear.

True, because its gear has the same status it does, manifesting and de-manifesting. As such, the gear would be on the Material Plane, and incorporeal.

And when held open by the incorporeal creature, the OPENING of the bag is not actually on either plane. It acts specifically like a gate to the pocket dimension and can be interacted with by any plane that is co-existent with the space the opening occupies.

Why would this be the case? It's a rift in one dimension/plane that opens to a different one. If bags of holding operated simultaneously across coexistent planes, you wouldn't need a ghost, since a creature on the Ethereal, the Astral, or the Shadow planes would be able to snatch stuff from your bag whenever it was open, and vice versa. I seriously doubt that's how it works.