PDA

View Full Version : Lina Inverse Vs Nanoha Takamachi

Forum Explorer
2014-01-11, 02:31 AM
Lina Inverse, Bandit Killer, and The Enemy Of All That Live.

Vs

Nanoha Takamachi, The White Devil, The Ace of Aces.

Two magical wielding girls who cause a lot of collateral damage and seem to favor brute magical force over clever tricks and tactics. Who will win? What will be left of the battlefield? Will they end up friends?

Bloodlust is not on, as I believe both characters to be the sort to get into a fight anyways. That is to say, Lina is easily provoked and Nanoha likes to 'befriend' people.

Lina may use all abilities shown in the anime series (all of them), though Giga Slave would be a last resort for potential universe collapsing. She is also borrowing the Sword of Light in this battle.

Nanoha is limited to abilities shown in the three anime series, ending with StrikerS.

Anime conventions are in place, so no interrupting spell chants as that never happens.

The Battlefield:

An Island town consisting of a dormant volcano, a thick forest, and a medium sized medieval town.

The motive
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjxVnL87svAcoW2Rusrzs3VZhu0QKQi Mq941CTvDDMUV4c1m7B

^^ That guy is a ****.

HamHam
2014-01-11, 02:37 AM
I think Mutually Assured Destruction might come into play here.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-11, 02:45 AM
I think Mutually Assured Friendship might come into play here.

FTFY.

An Island town consisting of a dormant volcano, a thick forest, and a medium sized medieval town.

Also, none of this will be left by the end.

Drascin
2014-01-11, 07:08 AM
Bloodlust is not on, as I believe both characters to be the sort to get into a fight anyways. That is to say, Lina is easily provoked and Nanoha likes to 'befriend' people.

Actually, Nanoha is almost psychotically reasonable since she was like nine years old. She has never actually fought anyone without trying to defuse the fight and talk things out first, even against people that very visibly want to break her face. If the fight starts because Lina is easily provoked and begins attacking, Nanoha is probably going to spend the first moments mostly dodging and defending and trying to defuse the fight. Only after it becomes obvious Lina doesn't give up she'd counterattack.

But yeah, the thing here is basically that after StrikerS Nanoha is a very levelheaded person that flies really fast and has more or less all the experience with anti-city level magic weaponry, while Lina's aim, ease to get riled up into messing up, and tendency to blow up stuff she didn't mean to are sort of a running gag. I'm not really sure Lina is going to score a hit until she gets beyond "I'm pissed off!" and starts really getting dangerous as she can - Lina can be surprisingly shrewd, but it usually requires her to settle down a little instead of just spamming blasts. And by the time that happens Nanoha has probably taken her down with her much more precise and focused firepower.

Then they probably become friends anyway and consider beating up Xelloss for putting them up to this. It then never happens on screen because Xelloss is a slippery weasel *******.

The fight, however, could go pretty differently if the starting assumption is that it's a sparring match of sorts and both of them know. That way both characters will probably go all out from the beginning - Lina is proud as hell and will get her head in the game from moment one to win a fight like that, and Nanoha seems to let herself way looser when the fights are mutually agreed on (see: Nanoha vs Signum, Manga version).

It also results in no stadium being left. At all. Honestly, if we still have a crater left by the end of that we can count ourselves lucky.

Hyena
2014-01-11, 07:54 AM
Does either of them hold back? If not, Lina has giga slave, which is pretty much a game breaker. Nothing can possibly beat that.

Prime32
2014-01-11, 08:11 AM
This seems relevant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvaIYmpEMk) :smalltongue:

Sith_Happens
2014-01-11, 03:18 PM
psychotically reasonable

Best. Adjective phrase. Ever.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-11, 03:36 PM
Does either of them hold back? If not, Lina has giga slave, which is pretty much a game breaker. Nothing can possibly beat that.

They hold back to their standard amount.

HamHam
2014-01-11, 04:16 PM
Actually, Nanoha is almost psychotically reasonable since she was like nine years old. She has never actually fought anyone without trying to defuse the fight and talk things out first, even against people that very visibly want to break her face. If the fight starts because Lina is easily provoked and begins attacking, Nanoha is probably going to spend the first moments mostly dodging and defending and trying to defuse the fight. Only after it becomes obvious Lina doesn't give up she'd counterattack.

Unless she's on official business. TSAB policy seems to be one request for you to stand down and negotiate, if refused or in the case of a standing warrant a declaration of arrest and a demand of surrender, and then if you resist arrest you get taken down with all necessary levels of magical damage.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-11, 05:12 PM

But yeah, the thing here is basically that after StrikerS Nanoha is a very levelheaded person that flies really fast and has more or less all the experience with anti-city level magic weaponry, while Lina's aim, ease to get riled up into messing up, and tendency to blow up stuff she didn't mean to are sort of a running gag. I'm not really sure Lina is going to score a hit until she gets beyond "I'm pissed off!" and starts really getting dangerous as she can - Lina can be surprisingly shrewd, but it usually requires her to settle down a little instead of just spamming blasts. And by the time that happens Nanoha has probably taken her down with her much more precise and focused firepower.

Then they probably become friends anyway and consider beating up Xelloss for putting them up to this. It then never happens on screen because Xelloss is a slippery weasel *******.

The fight, however, could go pretty differently if the starting assumption is that it's a sparring match of sorts and both of them know. That way both characters will probably go all out from the beginning - Lina is proud as hell and will get her head in the game from moment one to win a fight like that, and Nanoha seems to let herself way looser when the fights are mutually agreed on (see: Nanoha vs Signum, Manga version).

It also results in no stadium being left. At all. Honestly, if we still have a crater left by the end of that we can count ourselves lucky.

Isn't Lina's poor accuracy more a matter of hitting additional targets? I mean she spams spells that have a huge blast radius, likely because its hard to miss with those things.

Jade_Tarem
2014-01-11, 07:32 PM
Isn't Lina's poor accuracy more a matter of hitting additional targets? I mean she spams spells that have a huge blast radius, likely because its hard to miss with those things.

Lina's accuracy is as good as the plot (or joke) demands. She has (somehow) missed a person-sized target with a tactical nuke before, but has also managed to shoot down incoming fast-moving spell effects the size of ping-pong balls.

GloatingSwine
2014-01-11, 07:57 PM
Nanoha can hit with the equivalent of a tactical nuclear warhead and still leave the target alive and unconscious. Deliberately.

She is all kinds of in control.

Really, although Lina's biggest spells are more powerful she's not well equipped to beat Nanoha, because Nanoha's mid range firepower (mid range in this case meaning those tactical nuclear warheads) like Divine Buster is faster to use (frequently instant) and can be used at extreme ranges (in A's she could hit Vita at ranges of several kilometres).

She also makes frequent use of magical binds which appear instantly and hold the target in an absolute position (even if flying), uses mobility in combat far more (especially aerial mobility), uses information gathering techniques intellgently and can fight at extreme ranges easily.

She'll find Lina first and be able to batter down her defences and render her unconscious before she can cast, probably from several kilometres away. (PS: interrupting enemy spells, even transformation sequences which are usually sacrosanct, is totally a thing in Nanoha, why do you think they use binding magic for the big attacks).

Forum Explorer
2014-01-11, 08:11 PM
(PS: interrupting enemy spells, even transformation sequences which are usually sacrosanct, is totally a thing in Nanoha, why do you think they use binding magic for the big attacks).

Really? I don't seem to remember that ever happening. On the other hand, the transformations, and spell chants are more or less shortened to just the attack names eventually. I thought the bindings were because the attack was otherwise too easy to dodge for really skilled opponents.

Fan
2014-01-11, 08:25 PM
Nanoha in a stomp unless Lina gets off Giga slave.

Lina doesn't have the reactions, or move speed to dodge attacks that Nanoha puts out. (Nanoha in StrikerS is at mach 1477)

Gigaslave is her only chance because it's universal. If we disbarr that, she loses in every other category.

Jade_Tarem
2014-01-11, 08:26 PM
Nanoha can hit with the equivalent of a tactical nuclear warhead and still leave the target alive and unconscious. Deliberately.

Really, although Lina's biggest spells are more powerful she's not well equipped to beat Nanoha, because Nanoha's mid range firepower (mid range in this case meaning those tactical nuclear warheads) like Divine Buster is faster to use (frequently instant) and can be used at extreme ranges (in A's she could hit Vita at ranges of several kilometres).

She also makes frequent use of magical binds which appear instantly and hold the target in an absolute position (even if flying), uses mobility in combat far more (especially aerial mobility), uses information gathering techniques intellgently and can fight at extreme ranges easily.

She'll find Lina first and be able to batter down her defences and render her unconscious before she can cast, probably from several kilometres away. (PS: interrupting enemy spells, even transformation sequences which are usually sacrosanct, is totally a thing in Nanoha, why do you think they use binding magic for the big attacks).

I'm not a Nanoha buff and therefore a touch unqualified for this argument, but for the sake of devil-advocacy I'll point out that Lina has absolutely fought and defeated opponents who were willing to interrupt her long cast times before.

Also, if Nanoha interrupts a Giga Slave, everyone loses. That's not guaranteed to come up, but it could.

Fan
2014-01-11, 08:41 PM
I'm not a Nanoha buff and therefore a touch unqualified for this argument, but for the sake of devil-advocacy I'll point out that Lina has absolutely fought and defeated opponents who were willing to interrupt her long cast times before.

Also, if Nanoha interrupts a Giga Slave, everyone loses. That's not guaranteed to come up, but it could.

Eh, at best that one's a draw on the interruption causing everyone to lose.

At worst, nanoha just snipes her before she can even speak. Mach 1477 is nothing to sneeze at.

Jade_Tarem
2014-01-11, 08:47 PM
I agree. If Nanoha can actually move at 1.8 million kilometers per hour, then Lina doesn't stand a chance. Nanoha doesn't even have to attack, she can just do a flyby and claim victory from the collateral.

Fan
2014-01-11, 08:51 PM
I agree. If Nanoha can actually move at 1.8 million kilometers per hour, then Lina doesn't stand a chance. Nanoha doesn't even have to attack, she can just do a flyby and claim victory from the collateral.

here's the calc. (http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=17322)

I don't take credit for work that's not mine.

Mewtarthio
2014-01-11, 08:51 PM
Giga Slave wouldn't come up in the first place; Nanoha is nowhere near sadistic enough to force Lina to that.

Jade_Tarem
2014-01-11, 09:02 PM
Giga Slave wouldn't come up in the first place; Nanoha is nowhere near sadistic enough to force Lina to that.

Sadism doesn't have to enter into it. If Lina starts to use it and Nanoha doesn't know what it does...

Even so, I agree that Giga Slave wouldn't come up. Lina has never started a fight with it before and the OP's stipulation is that she wouldn't this time either. It doesn't look like Lina gets the chance to do more than one thing, if that, so I'm perfectly content with saying that Nanoha easily wins it despite Lina having effectively infinite firepower.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-11, 09:08 PM

All spells in Nanoha-verse are nonlethal by default. This is why Nanoha and company don't have to watch out and can afford to go all-out against every opponent; because there's no risk of killing them by accident.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-11, 09:17 PM
here's the calc. (http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=17322)

I don't take credit for work that's not mine.

Those calculations are based off various assumptions, and those assumptions are exactly that, assumptions. As such they are not considered evidence by me.

Also if Nanoha could move that fast then she would have been able to catch up with Lutecia after Vivo is kidnapped. As is she couldn't even keep up with her subordinate Subaru letting who gained so much distance she got an entire fight scene to herself, before Nanoha and the others could show up.

Kitten Champion
2014-01-11, 11:07 PM
I'd have to give it to Nanoha. It would certainly turn into an aerial fight between the two, and while Lina has experience with levitation in combat, Nanoha's ability to think and fight in three dimensions is prodigious.

Of the two, she's the better fighter and duellist, balanced between defensive and offensive capabilities with an agile fighting style. Lina is more about clever tactics, keen perception, and sheer destructive ability.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-12, 12:52 AM
Really? I don't seem to remember that ever happening. On the other hand, the transformations, and spell chants are more or less shortened to just the attack names eventually. I thought the bindings were because the attack was otherwise too easy to dodge for really skilled opponents.

No one ever interrupts a transformation sequence (which when shown from the "outside" only takes a second or two in the first place), but spells are fair game. If you recall, the only time Nanoha ever tries a Starlight Breaker against someone who's not either bound or big and slow is in the second episode of A's, and that doesn't go so well.

I.e.- She takes a Shamal to the Linker Core mid-cast.

Marlowe
2014-01-12, 12:58 AM
Nanoha wasn't targeting a person in 2nd episode A's. She was targeting the Wolkenritter barrier. And she broke it.

The monster in 2nd episode of the original series did try to interrupt Nanoha's transformation. It didn't work.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-12, 01:06 AM
No one ever interrupts a transformation sequence (which when shown from the "outside" only takes a second or two in the first place), but spells are fair game. If you recall, the only time Nanoha ever tries a Starlight Breaker against someone who's not either bound or big and slow is in the second episode of A's, and that doesn't go so well.

I.e.- She takes a Shamal to the Linker Core mid-cast.

Like the above said, she still got the spell off. And she wasn't targeting a person anyways.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-12, 01:14 AM
Like the above said, she still got the spell off. And she wasn't targeting a person anyways.

If the situation had been different it could have been a lot worse, though.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-12, 01:55 AM
If the situation had been different it could have been a lot worse, though.

I suppose? :smallconfused:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean though. Do you mean if Shamal had been given orders to kill? Cause I don't think it would have made a difference if Nanoha had been aiming at a person. Anyways I don't think we've seen Shamal attack someone from someplace other then surprise.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-12, 02:15 AM
I suppose? :smallconfused:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean though. Do you mean if Shamal had been given orders to kill? Cause I don't think it would have made a difference if Nanoha had been aiming at a person. Anyways I don't think we've seen Shamal attack someone from someplace other then surprise.

Who or what Nanoha was aiming at isn't the point, the point is that she had not taken steps to eliminate the possibility of a counterattack/interrupt, and consequently received one.

Marlowe
2014-01-12, 04:14 AM
Well, she has badly wounded, with a damaged device, protected by a shield (which Shamal bypassed) and it would have taken an incredibly hyperparanoid individual to make precautions against "hey, what if there's another one of them who we haven't seen yet who can phase her hands inside our bodies and rip out our organs from half a mile away".

And she still got the spell off, and did precisely what she was aiming to do. So I don't know what you mean by "it doesn't go so well".

Sith_Happens
2014-01-12, 05:00 AM
I mean that Forum Explorer said that he didn't remember any instances of someone being attacked mid-cast, so I pointed out one such instance.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-12, 05:23 AM
Well, she has badly wounded, with a damaged device, protected by a shield (which Shamal bypassed) and it would have taken an incredibly hyperparanoid individual to make precautions against "hey, what if there's another one of them who we haven't seen yet who can phase her hands inside our bodies and rip out our organs from half a mile away".

And she still got the spell off, and did precisely what she was aiming to do. So I don't know what you mean by "it doesn't go so well".

Actually if I remember correctly Nanoha left the shield, presumably because she couldn't charge the attack while behind it. Though no reason was actually given.

I mean that Forum Explorer said that he didn't remember any instances of someone being attacked mid-cast, so I pointed out one such instance.

Fair enough.

Fan
2014-01-12, 06:10 AM
Those calculations are based off various assumptions, and those assumptions are exactly that, assumptions. As such they are not considered evidence by me.

Also if Nanoha could move that fast then she would have been able to catch up with Lutecia after Vivo is kidnapped. As is she couldn't even keep up with her subordinate Subaru letting who gained so much distance she got an entire fight scene to herself, before Nanoha and the others could show up.

Please show which assumptions you are talking about, and provide actual reasons why they are invalid.

You say so is not a valid reason. Other people outpacing her is also not a valid reason.

Kthnx.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-12, 07:33 AM
Please show which assumptions you are talking about, and provide actual reasons why they are invalid.

You say so is not a valid reason. Other people outpacing her is also not a valid reason.

Kthnx.

Sure,

the big one is one of perspective, the calculation of each pixel's size doesn't seem to be taking into account where the camera is viewing the objects from, or the idea that the perspective will change from scene to scene.

other assumptions include things like, the object actually being in the shot like when they are calculating the size of the TSAB Central and saying that each the ships aren't visible so thus it must be so and so big. Or perhaps they just aren't in that shot. It also assumes that the ships we see earlier are all equal in size to the Anthra whose measurements I'm assuming they got from some supplementary source.

Then there are assumptions like the barrier they were in A's. They are assuming that when you are at the edge of it things look normal beyond it. It very well could be that as long as you're inside it everything looks like it's part of the barrier.

Regardless this is all a moot point. Since I went back to check on the assumptions I found you were mistaken. Nanoha isn't moving at that speed. Starlight Breaker is. That's what they were calculating on the first post anyways.

Fan
2014-01-12, 07:47 AM
Sure,

the big one is one of perspective, the calculation of each pixel's size doesn't seem to be taking into account where the camera is viewing the objects from, or the idea that the perspective will change from scene to scene.

other assumptions include things like, the object actually being in the shot like when they are calculating the size of the TSAB Central and saying that each the ships aren't visible so thus it must be so and so big. Or perhaps they just aren't in that shot. It also assumes that the ships we see earlier are all equal in size to the Anthra whose measurements I'm assuming they got from some supplementary source.

Then there are assumptions like the barrier they were in A's. They are assuming that when you are at the edge of it things look normal beyond it. It very well could be that as long as you're inside it everything looks like it's part of the barrier.

Regardless this is all a moot point. Since I went back to check on the assumptions I found you were mistaken. Nanoha isn't moving at that speed. Starlight Breaker is. That's what they were calculating on the first post anyways.

Yes, and she's dodged attacks that go at that speed. The whole perception thing isn't valid as any distortion was accounted for.

Namely Deici's attacks which are flat out stated to be equal in all ways to an OverS attack (Like Starlight Breaker.).

Which she has dodged and reacted to at all ranges.

Also, the perspective shots are always measured by existing constants that are defined in canon and databooks.

Then it uses math that IS DESIGNED to measure things based on angles and distance to figure it out.

You clearly don't understand the equations in question, please learn how real life math is used before you claim things are based on assumptions. It is literally said in the post that he's using an angular calculator to see how objects are distorted in distance.

At this point I'm convinced that you either don't understand, or didn't fully read the calc. Because there's also another shot in the comments showing that the ships were in fact there. Please take a look at the second page. It provides yet more measurements for you, and the shot in question with the other ships.

This has been literally everytime someone questions the math, they just don't fully read the calc given.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-12, 08:08 AM
Yes, and she's dodged attacks that go at that speed. The whole perception thing isn't valid as any distortion was accounted for.

Namely Deici's attacks which are flat out stated to be equal in all ways to an OverS attack (Like Starlight Breaker.).

Which she has dodged and reacted to at all ranges.

Also, the perspective shots are always measured by existing constants that are defined in canon and databooks.

Then it uses math that IS DESIGNED to measure things based on angles and distance to figure it out.

You clearly don't understand the equations in question, please learn how real life math is used before you claim things are based on assumptions. It is literally said in the post that he's using an angular calculator to see how objects are distorted in distance.

At this point I'm convinced that you either don't understand, or didn't fully read the calc. Because there's also another shot in the comments showing that the ships were in fact there. Please take a look at the second page. It provides yet more measurements for you, and the shot in question with the other ships.

This has been literally everytime someone questions the math, they just don't fully read the calc given.

Arrgghh you're frustrating. :smallmad:

Wait, no. I'm not letting you get me angry and dragging this argument on. My final word to you is this.

a) you said Nanoha traveled at that speed. That is false, or at least not proved by the link you provided. Her attack may or may not travel at that speed, but that's not what that post is talking about. We never see her literally race her own beam from the same point which would prove you correct.

b) Those attacks have a charge up time that they can sense through various means. So they react before the shot is fired at all.

c) Going perpendicular to the line of effect of the beam is a lot shorter distance and thus requires a much slower speed to get out or into the way of.

Fan
2014-01-12, 08:15 AM
Arrgghh you're frustrating. :smallmad:

Wait, no. I'm not letting you get me angry and dragging this argument on. My final word to you is this.

a) you said Nanoha traveled at that speed. That is false, or at least not proved by the link you provided. Her attack may or may not travel at that speed, but that's not what that post is talking about. We never see her literally race her own beam from the same point which would prove you correct.

b) Those attacks have a charge up time that they can sense through various means. So they react before the shot is fired at all.

c) Going perpendicular to the line of effect of the beam is a lot shorter distance and thus requires a much slower speed to get out or into the way of.

She's reacted to surprise attacks from Dieci too. Meaning she has reactions in that speed too. See her fight against Nanoha in episode 23.

The speed of the beam is what's in question, but reacting to the beam from a surprise attack position means that you have to A: have reactions at, or faster than that speed, and B: You need to move the horizontal distance of the beam faster than it can move the now much shorter distance between you and it, as the beam is several times wider than a human being you have to move MORE than it does for it to miss.

For perspective.

http://obdpictures1.wikispaces.com/file/view/dieciblast.jpg/325535734/dieciblast.jpg

http://obdpictures1.wikispaces.com/file/view/dieciblast2.jpg/331286020/dieciblast2.jpg

Also as a note, in those shots you can also see that the aircraft there isn't able to move any visible distance at all before the beam reaches it and the shield goes up.

Prime32
2014-01-12, 08:35 AM
...you realise that Nanoha has a spell which gives her super speed for a brief moment (Flash Move (http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Flash_Move)), meaning that any measurement of her going as fast as she can would be of that spell and not her normal movement, right? And she explicitly can't spam Flash Move.

Fan
2014-01-12, 08:39 AM
...you realise that Nanoha has a spell which gives her super speed for a brief moment (Flash Move (http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Flash_Move)), meaning that any measurement of her going as fast as she can would be of that spell and not her normal movement, right? And she explicitly can't spam Flash Move.

Yes, except that has nothing to do with dodging surprise attacks.

You do realize that we're specifically dealing with her dodging an attack stated to be equivalent to Starlight Breaker from a complete position of surprise right?

The calc in question is to establish the speed of OverS grade attacks.

Prime32
2014-01-12, 08:45 AM
Yes, except that has nothing to do with dodging surprise attacks.

You do realize that we're specifically dealing with her dodging an attack stated to be equivalent to Starlight Breaker from a complete position of surprise right?"Position of surprise" means little when you're psychically linked to a supercomputer with 360 degree long-range sensors and limited control of your magic+body. Heck, characters with Devices have dodged attacks while unconscious.

Fan
2014-01-12, 09:13 AM
"Position of surprise" means little when you're psychically linked to a supercomputer with 360 degree long-range sensors and limited control of your magic+body. Heck, characters with Devices have dodged attacks while unconscious.

And that makes them slower how? That's just more added to their capabilities, like a Green Lantern's autoshields defending them without their own senses registering it. It has absolutely no bearing on how fast they move. I mean, having limited control only really happens when they're out, but aside from that the sensors aren't perfect. I mean, Nanoha has been surprised.

However, it does slow down their reaction times without the devices.. which is I guess something?

Jade_Tarem
2014-01-12, 11:38 AM
I fail to see how Nanoha's exact speed and reaction times make that much of a difference.

Lina has a lot of magic tricks and spells, but without the magic she's really just an ordinary girl. To my knowledge, the ones with the supreme reflexes and combat skills on her team are Gourry and Zelgadis. She doesn't have superhuman speed, agility, strength, or durability beyond what's necessary for an over-the-top sight gag. She's certainly in good condition, probably due to the fact that her usual mode of transportation is running, but that's almost certainly not enough.

GloatingSwine
2014-01-12, 01:13 PM

Nanoha is attacked during her transformation sequence in literally the second jewel seed fight, and also in the first encounter with Vita.

(That's a good example of Nanoha's multitasking as well, Vita attacks her during her transformation, she manages to shield herself from a surprise attack, use the smoke cloud to escape, and fire off two shots knowing that once she picks up a target she can guide them onto it, and sure enough those two shots are used to attack Vita from behind when she closes range)

As for her flight speed, the speed of flash move isn't indicative of her normal flight performance, but we do see in the StrikerS intro FX similar to a shock collar as Nanoha and Fate fly past, indicating that she's capable of supersonic flight at least in a straight line.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-12, 04:50 PM
Nanoha is attacked during her transformation sequence in literally the second jewel seed fight, and also in the first encounter with Vita.

(That's a good example of Nanoha's multitasking as well, Vita attacks her during her transformation, she manages to shield herself from a surprise attack, use the smoke cloud to escape, and fire off two shots knowing that once she picks up a target she can guide them onto it, and sure enough those two shots are used to attack Vita from behind when she closes range)

As for her flight speed, the speed of flash move isn't indicative of her normal flight performance, but we do see in the StrikerS intro FX similar to a shock collar as Nanoha and Fate fly past, indicating that she's capable of supersonic flight at least in a straight line.

Ah, good point. I guess interrupting Nanoha isn't really effective, but it certainly can be attempted.

Yes, but there is a large difference between Mach 1-3 and Mach 1000+. Of course like Jade points out, even Mach 1 is a lot faster then Lina can move at all.

So Nanoha is tougher, faster, more accurate, and can launch her spells more quickly.

Lina might have a slight edge on Nanoha in sheer damage.

However something no one has really talked about for this thread though is that Lina gets to use the Blade of Light. Now I know she can amplify that sword with a spell so perhaps she could use that to even the tides a little?

Nerd-o-rama
2014-01-12, 05:11 PM
Nanoha's been fighting magical swordsmen since like her second week on the job, though. An enhanced Sword of Light's probably more dangerous than Bardiche or Laevatein, but Nanoha's no slouch at close combat evasion.

I'm just throwing that out there because everyone's already made the "the real loser is the arena" jokes that I was planning to.

Kitten Champion
2014-01-12, 05:20 PM
However something no one has really talked about for this thread though is that Lina gets to use the Blade of Light. Now I know she can amplify that sword with a spell so perhaps she could use that to even the tides a little?

I think the Blade of Light has the same issues as with the rest of her magic relative to Nanoha. As in, regardless of how powerful the blade is or how much she can amplify it through spells, she's still limited to the capabilities of a somewhat athletic teen-aged girl with pretty modest skills as a swordswoman.