PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic and spell level question

Atanvarno
2014-01-11, 03:38 AM
I was struck by an odd thought recently, and couldn't find any discussion of it either way.

Since metamagic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats) doesn't actually increase a spell's level, can you technically use a first level Pearl of Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower) to recover an empowered magic missile? :smallconfused:

If this works, it has some pretty insane implications for other spells or items that reference spell levels rather than spell slots. :smalleek:

From the d20srd entry on metamagic:

In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell.

Bullet06320
2014-01-11, 04:00 AM
RAW I don't see why not, unless its heightened, which does change it level
RAI I think its meant to recall a spell slot
but nice, I like it

nedz
2014-01-11, 11:29 AM
From the d20srd entry on metamagic:

In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell.

No, since a pearl of power just allows you to re-prepare the spell. You would need a pearl of the appropriate level for the slot you used in the first place.

GameSpawn
2014-01-11, 03:43 PM
No, since a pearl of power just allows you to re-prepare the spell. You would need a pearl of the appropriate level for the slot you used in the first place.

Pearl of Power: This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower). (emphasis mine).

The pearl allows you to re-prepare the spell. So the spell is re-prepared in the slot it was in before, but that doesn't change the level of the spell. A 3rd level spell prepared in a 5th level spell slot is still a 3rd level spell, and a 3rd level Pearl of Power allows you to re-prepare it (in the 5th level spell slot).

nedz
2014-01-11, 06:31 PM
Effects of Metamagic Feats on a Spell

Pearl of Power

...Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower).

We are talking about spell preparation, not operation here.

The metamagiced spell is prepared as a higher level spell, and the pearl allows you to re-prepare it.

GameSpawn
2014-01-11, 06:54 PM
The passage you bolded doesn't say anything about what spells can be affected by the pearl. The only limitation is:

The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl.

And the spell IS of the unmodified level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell. A 3rd level spell prepared and cast as a 5th level spell is still a 3rd level spell.

For the record, I probably wouldn't allow a player to do this, but my current understanding is that it is RAW.

EDIT: Looking at it again, I will say I can see the argument against; since you are "preparing" the spell with the pearl, I can see the argument saying you should treat it as a higher level spell for all effects related to preparing the spell. I stand by my interpretation, however.

nedz
2014-01-11, 08:06 PM
I can see the argument both ways too; but, well I've said what I think.