PDA

View Full Version : Building a Planes' worth of custom enemies - get creative!

JW86
2014-01-11, 07:32 AM
Hi,

I'm undertaking a creative exercise at the moment, basically creating a small plane and inhabitants to guard it. This *may* be used in the future if I ever do end up DM'ing, but for the moment is simply being done for the love of it.

It is a custom plane, homebrew, which I am yet to name. There are some strong influences from "Bleach" at play, I have to own up to that now, but I do not want a "Bleach D&D" game. The idea of the plane is that their residing government ("The Order" for lack of another name as yet) act as extraplanar police agents to the material plane, generally acting as a force of Lawful Neutral/Good, they help do battle with any monsters on the material plane that threaten to overly upset the balance of the world towards evil. Their interaction is somewhat limited and selfish - they simply do not want the events on the Material Plane unbalancing to the point it effects them. They are a balancing force to a certain 'army of shadow and evil' I won't get into right now that constantly threaten the Material Plane's inhabitants.

The idea is that the PCs will become embroiled on a quest to rescue a dear comrade from the Lawful Plane. And if they don't, oh well, it was fun just thinking about :P

Once they arrive, I plan to have three demiplanes.

The Commoner's Plane - where the PCs would arrive, and where most of the civilian inhabitants dwell, think large slums, disease, poverty, inns and bars etc. Some of the Order's troops will be seen patrolling parts of the plane, but for the mainstay they are stationed at the barracks near to the GATE which leads onto...

The Order's Plane - where most of the politics, business, strategy, etc. take place. Inhabited only by those welcome to The Order, this is the living place of the the army and various squadrons, the prisons, the technological buildings, etc. Guarded secretly herein is the Gate to the King's Demiplane

The King's Plane - I have not put much thought or detail into this, other than that I wouldn't necessarily expect PCs to make it this far, or need to. This is the where the Big King resides in his private demiplane, pulling the strings from lofty heights.

The concept for the type of enemies the PCs would fight in this plane is that they are organised into certain thematic squads. Each Squad has a basic theme, such as "Battle", "Defense", "Law", "Healing" with a suitably thematic Epic-Level 20-30 "Captain", possibly Deity Rank 0, supported by a Lieutenant (Roughly level 14-18), a handful of other high-ranking officers (Roughly Level 8-12), then a hundred mooks 5-8, then maybe a thousand mooks level 3-5.

This structure gives me a lot of opportunities to create fun builds of varying strengths and styles to challenge the PCs at various levels of their development.

The idea is that the PC's, if they so wish or feel moved to explore this plane or to rescue their poor damsel-in-distress, will explore these planes in a rebellious act of defiance (or subterfuge, up to them) in an attempt to rescue their friend. I plan for their to be plenty of hidden internal politics they may become aware of and use to their advantage.

I'm really keen on using a lot of ToB and Psionics in this plane. Swordsage with Bastard Sword(Katana), or Psion with Energy Ray, will be the standard mook :)

Now, before I move onto the topic at hand of creating lots of custom NPCs and statting them up, I'll let the thread sit for a couple of hours and see if anybody has any general comments, ideas or thoughts for the campaign setting.. :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2014-01-11, 07:56 AM
Lots of Snakes — oh not that sort of plane.

To be honest though you do need some sort of theme and Law and Order is sort of bland. So maybe snakes, well Yuan Ti might work ?

JW86
2014-01-11, 08:18 AM
Hmm, I have a pretty Oriental theme going in my mind. More ways to make it flavourful, though. Gotcha..

One of the Captains' mastermind plan to completely backstab the Order to gain favour with a Demon Prince.

There will also be the "army of shadow and evil" types, lots of Cerebriliths and whatever Shadowy-looking creepy evils I can find in the MMs and ELHB.

nedz
2014-01-11, 11:27 AM
Hmm, I have a pretty Oriental theme going in my mind.

I don't think you mentioned that in the thread, so would have to read your mind ? :smallsigh:

Some Rokugan stuff maybe ? Isolated planes sounds a little like Japan.

Or maybe you mean Indian ?

JW86
2014-01-11, 11:47 AM
I don't think you mentioned that in the thread, so would have to read your mind ? :smallsigh:

Some Rokugan stuff maybe ? Isolated planes sounds a little like Japan.

Or maybe you mean Indian ?

No it wasn't mentioned, I only alluded to "Bleach" as one source of inspiration... which admittedly will mean nothing to some. Forgive me. A Japanese style to some degree, yes. I'll look into Rokugan, I've no previous experience of it - thanks.