PDA

View Full Version : how do you rule on force missles?

blelliot
2014-01-11, 08:44 AM
In the spell compendium, the spell has no listed cap, nor could I find errata on the spell. Its original version, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, has a cap of four missiles. How do you rule on this fourth level spell?

Juntao112
2014-01-11, 08:49 AM
What's the harm?

blelliot
2014-01-11, 08:52 AM
I'm not saying there is harm, I was wondering if anyone else rules that there is mo cap, or if it is universally accepted that there was a typo in the book. Just curious.

Juntao112
2014-01-11, 08:58 AM
General rule of thumb is to use the most recent version of the spell.

Cog
2014-01-11, 09:49 AM
In the spell compendium, the spell has no listed cap, nor could I find errata on the spell. Its original version, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, has a cap of four missiles. How do you rule on this fourth level spell?

Quite a few Spell Compendium spells were tweaked. It's almost certainly intentional. That was one of the purposes of the book.

Big Fau
2014-01-11, 10:08 AM

Possibilities:

The developers realized that it didn't hold up to the damage of a 3rd level spell.
One of the SC's writers wanted the spell to be more powerful for his personal character (or someone else's).
The editors completely missed that detail, as evidenced in the spell's target entry (it can't target more than 4 creatures).

Honestly, it's be fine if you removed the . The damage "caps" at 10d6 if every missile hits one target, and 5d6 to everything adjacent to it (assuming the player doesn't try to boost his CL above 20th). As a no hit, no save, 4th level DD spell with no rider effects, that's fairly decent.

Studoku
2014-01-11, 12:23 PM
Honestly, it's be fine if you removed the . The damage "caps" at 10d6 if every missile hits one target, and 5d6 to everything adjacent to it (assuming the player doesn't try to boost his CL above 20th). As a no hit, no save, 4th level DD spell with no rider effects, that's fairly decent.
And if a Wizard is capable of buffing his CL above 20 and spamming force missiles, let him. He could do a lot worse.

RedMage125
2014-01-11, 05:16 PM
Doesn't look like a typo to me.

2d6 damage per missile, Spell Resistance applies, with a max of 4 targets (which spreads the damage out pretty thing) or 10d6 (which is not broken for a 20th level caster).

Looks great as-is.