PDA

View Full Version : Druid variant question

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-11, 10:59 AM
Curious on peoples thoughts on using this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) druid variant except giving up spellcasting instead of Wild Shape.

Gain: Bonus to Armor Class when unarmored (as monk, including wisdom bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger).

Lose: Armor and shield proficiency, wild shape (all versions).

Oh yeah, let me know if you feel like running a 5th level or so PbP game that would let me use such a variant. Ideally with Wild Shape being moved up to level 1 and uses per day upped to 1/2 Druid level.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-01-11, 01:28 PM
It seems like a really good idea for a class. Shapeshifter is one of the few fantasy Archetypes that D&D doesn't do well 1-20. Furthermore, shapeshifting is an ability that D&D doesn't let you do well at any level without also giving you a pile of other abilities.

The result should be mid-high tier 3, better than Wildshape Ranger. You might consider sweetening the pot by offering to give up Animal Companion. It's not necesary for balance, but somehow shapeshifter and beastmaster don't mesh well in my head I accept Druid being both because *shrug* Druid.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-01-11, 03:33 PM
In addition to increasing WS uses i'd probably also give it the Warshapers Multimorph ability at a reasonably early level. Maybe trade it for the animal companion.
That means you can shift your form as much as you want and use your limited wild shape uses to heal up a little.

The HD cap is enough of a limiter to wild shape imo, if it's your whole class instead of just another ability there's no reason to limit it further.
Push anything wild shape related up five levels in exchange for spellcasting, add Multimorph instead of animal companion and leave the rest alone as per the UA variant.
Should be more or less balanced and make for a worthwhile melee class (with a lot of paperwork).

bekeleven
2014-01-11, 05:18 PM
You'll probably want to grant Ex Sq at some point, if nothing else, unless you think MoMF is the required career path for this class. And if you do, then why not just play a normal druid with 5 wisdom and a monk's belt?

Other things that might be nice include granting new creature types, and possibly the ability to turn into animated objects (seriously, it's fun as crap).

Togo
2014-01-11, 05:36 PM
I've tried it already, although only once and briefly. It works quite well, and the remaining druid abilities mesh quite well. It's noticeably better than the wildshape ranger, whose abilties don't match nearly so well.

ben-zayb
2014-01-14, 09:25 PM
It would seem to work well as a balanced BSF with utilities. You're still a Bear riding your pet Bear, so it's all good.

I had an idea of Unique Forms per day instead of Wild Shape uses per day, allowing the Druid to switch back and forth from one form to another (or his normal self) indefinitely. Sort of limits his daily options further, but makes it a little more reliable.

WhamBamSam
2014-01-15, 12:15 AM
Curious on peoples thoughts on using this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) druid variant except giving up spellcasting instead of Wild Shape.Seems reasonably well balanced. The AC bonus, better Wild Shape, and better Animal Companion, edge out Ranger casting+Sword of the Arcane Order, full BAB, and 2 more skill points/level but SotAO is at least makes it close. Dragon Wild Shape probably evens things out a bit at higher levels as well, since it's the best Wild Shape feat and restricts to Small/Medium no matter what size you could normally achieve.

So yeah, seems like solid T3 fun. Like the WS Ranger it could hit T2 with Master of Many Forms and enough system mastery.

Oh yeah, let me know if you feel like running a 5th level or so PbP game that would let me use such a variant. Ideally with Wild Shape being moved up to level 1 and uses per day upped to 1/2 Druid level.If you haven't found anyone else yet, I could give it a try. I had a 5th level campaign that never really got off the ground a while back, so I could dust off a few of the things I had planned from that.

Vaz
2014-01-15, 07:45 AM
This is arguably a none-attribute dependent class.

You get bonuses from a positive wisdom modifier, but you're a Fighter-type, just with more utility; however, the typical Fighter ability scores are replaced by those from Wild Shape (possibly with the exception of Con). Without access to Owl's Insight as well, your Wis modifier cannot be pumped all that high.

This means you can freely place your Skill Points between each one. Your Wisdom modifier is fairly negligible thanks to Favoured Enemy providing bonuses to the relevant scores, leaving Charisma and Intelligence; Cha provides bonuses on Social Skills, which can always be in effect, while Int provides you with the excess skill points.

Starting at 1st level, it's hard to use/keep alive, but from 5th level onwards, it goes from being MAD (Str/Dex/Con/Wis) to stay alive, but at 5th level, it loses all of that, and is still relevant.

It seems like a decent trade. Are there any hidden abuses that could be pulled out the bag? I can't think of much correlation between the different abilities. Would the Monks fast movement apply to any flying speed it has; i.e Dragon Wild Shape into a Mercury Dragon for 260ft perfect flying movement? In normal games, I can't see that extra 60ft (or 40ft, when it comes online) becoming all that useful outside of theory-crafting. Maybe with things like Martial Study for Fire Ring, or whatever, but it's negligible damage which can be nullified by many things.