PDA

View Full Version : Simple Psionic Archer

Xhosant
2014-01-11, 01:16 PM
I need help with a build, roughly tier 3 in power, that is mainly an archer with psionics on top of it.

When I say archer, I mean it: No sowlbow, no crossbows, no acid arrow getting launched by one's hand. I need a literal psionic-powered longbow archer, the kind of build to be used by a first-timer. If proficiencies are an issue, I'll tweak them into the first class of the build, so no worries (I'm the GM of the game). Try to keep the class count at 3 and under, or as close to it as possible.

EDIT: Apparently, I got it narrowed down to PsyWar archer and PsyRogue. Thoughts?

Glimbur
2014-01-11, 01:50 PM
By 'Psion', do you mean the class, or someone that uses psionics? Psy-warrior has 3/4 BAB, which is better than 1/2 BAB from Psion, and it is still psychic. I'm no expert on psionics, but I would guess that you can pick powers to support archery. And it gets all martial weapon proficiencies, so you can just go Psywar 20.

Vaz
2014-01-11, 01:59 PM
Can't go far wrong with PsyWar or Elf/Aasimar Wilder for that.

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-11, 02:13 PM
Gray Elf Factotum 8/ Ardent 2/ Targetteer Fighter 1/ Decisive Strike Invisible Fist Martial Monk 9

Probably put the levels as Factotum 1/ Martial Monk 2/ Targetteer Fighter 1/ Ardent 1/ Factotum 7/ Ardent 1/ Martial Monk 7.

Critical feats are Kung Fu Genius, Practiced Spell Caster, Practiced Manifester, and Psiotheurgist. KFG needs to be taken before Monk 1 so you might want to flip that with Targetteer Fighter so that Monk 1 falls on ECL 3.

Magic Mantle lets PS and PM both be dumped onto the Ardent. Psiotheurgist lets you dump your Factotum CL onto Ardent which, if done before Ardent 2 lets you get an ML of 18 and thus take 9th level powers.

Use Psychic Chiguery to move archery relevant spells and powers onto your powers known list and use Bestow Power + Midnight Augmentation to make up for your abysmal number of power points.

Build wise it is a bit complicated but play wise its easy.

If you don't like the Ardent idea then go Factotum 8/ Decisive Strike Invisible Fist Martial Monk 2/ Targetteer Fighter 1/ Spell to Power Erudite 9.

Go and grab the Assassin and Ranger spell lists as powers known.

Xhosant
2014-01-11, 04:30 PM
I'll probably go with Psywar, I feel bad for not thinking of it earlier.

How does Psychic Rogue hold up for sneak-attack ranged?

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-11, 05:55 PM
If you want to stick with psion, I'd recommend egoist. Ranger 2/Psion 8/Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 10 is simple and straightforward, with 9th-level powers and +16 BAB.

I will agree that ardent is a better choice, though, and I'm always a big fan of psywar. Among other things, you can get some Wisdom synergy with Zen Archer, which in turn means you can go for Expansion as a way to increase damage.

Psychic rogues are fantastic - it's one of my favorite classes - but they don't do archery any better than a psychic warrior or ardent. (I did play a gestalt shadowcaster/psychic rogue in a brief PbP that used a hand crossbow and bolts poisoned via Psionic Minor Creation, though, and it was pretty fun while it lasted.)

RolkFlameraven
2014-01-11, 06:38 PM
I'm gussing this is 3.x and not PF as in pathfinder you have the marksmen (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/marksman) class.

You still might want to take a look at it and talk to your DM. Its very much like a Psi Ranger in some ways. One of my players is using it right now. They are only level 2 but he doing rather well with it.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-11, 07:57 PM
If you're interested, this is my own take on the psychic warrior archer. It relies on using Magic of Incarnum to generate bonus PP every round via Psycarnum Infusion and Azure Talent. It might be a bit higher op than what you're looking for, but even if you don't go for the infinite PP tricks or metamorphing into an arrow demon to dual wield bows, it should at least give you some idea of power selection to go along with an archer.

Neraph, Ranger 2/Psychic Warrior 18
1. Ranger1- Track, Shape Soulmeld (Sighting Gloves)
2. Ranger2- Rapid Shot
3. PsyWar1- Zen Archery, Azure Talent
4. PsyWar2- Psycarnum Infusion
5. PsyWar3-
6. PsyWar4- Open Least Chakra (Hands)
7. PsyWar5- Psicrystal Affinity
8. PsyWar6-
9. PsyWar7- Psicrystal Containment
10. PsyWar8- Psionic Meditation
11. PsyWar9-
12. PsyWar10- Improved Essentia Capacity
13. PsyWar11- Midnight Augmentation
14. PsyWar12-
15. PsyWar13- Expanded Knowledge (Metamorphosis)
16. PsyWar14- Expanded Knowledge (Schism)
17. PsyWar15-
18. PsyWar16- Shape Soulmeld (Incarnate Avatar)
19. PsyWar17- Linked Power
20. PsyWar18-

POWERS:
1- Expansion, Metaphysical Weapon, Extend Range
2- Hustle, Psionic Scent, Damp Power
3- Greater Concealing Amorpha, Dimension Slide, Mental Barrier/Telekinetic Boomerang
4- Schism, Metamorphosis, Steadfast Perception, Psionic Freedom of Movement, Inertial Barrier
5- Empower Weapon, Oak Body, Change Fate
6- Personal Mind Blank, Dispelling Buffer, Inconstant Location

Most of the damage is generated by boosting size and making a ridiculous number of attacks - with a pair of splitting bows, this build makes eighteen attacks each round, each arrow dealing base damage of 4d6, plus boosts from magic, Sighting Gloves (maxed out via Psycarnum Infusion) and more.

If I wasn't trying to pull off the various incarnum tricks, I wouldn't be quite so feat starved, and might switch to Ranger 2/PsyWar 8/Slayer 10 instead, for +18 BAB and Slayer goodies.

Urpriest
2014-01-11, 08:37 PM
I'll probably go with Psywar, I feel bad for not thinking of it earlier.

How does Psychic Rogue hold up for sneak-attack ranged?

Not well. Psionic forms of invisibility tend to be pretty lousy, and without that you're left with a bunch of more complicated ways to get sneak attack at range.

I'll echo others' suggestions of Psychic Warrior. If this is a low level build, a build focused on Psionic Shot might work well.

classy one
2014-01-12, 01:06 AM
I recommend the marksman. There are two variants both made by Dreamscarred press. The 3.5 one is more powered focused (using powers to augment your ranged attacks) while the PF version is more class feature focused (more feats and features and less PP and lower power levels).

Personally I prefer the 3.5 version since it has more of a psionic feel to it and easier to intergrate into standard campaign.

classy one
2014-01-12, 01:10 AM
Not well. Psionic forms of invisibility tend to be pretty lousy, and without that you're left with a bunch of more complicated ways to get sneak attack at range.

I'll echo others' suggestions of Psychic Warrior. If this is a low level build, a build focused on Psionic Shot might work well.

Actually, cloud mind is in many ways superior to invisibility in some situations. It can also bypass mindsight, tremorsense and doesn't require a successful move silently check. You are completely undetectable to your mark. The main drawback is that it only affects one target while invisibility affects everyone. Mass cloud mind it way too expensive to make full use on a regular basis.

Terazul
2014-01-12, 01:14 AM
I recommend the marksman. There are two variants both made by Dreamscarred press. The 3.5 one is more powered focused (using powers to augment your ranged attacks) while the PF version is more class feature focused (more feats and features and less PP and lower power levels).

Personally I prefer the 3.5 version since it has more of a psionic feel to it and easier to intergrate into standard campaign.

Ditto. The Marksman (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/marksman) is basically exactly what you want. Has 3 different combat styles, a bunch of supporting powers, likes using wisdom, and gives a couple bonus feats.

classy one
2014-01-12, 01:27 AM
Ditto. The Marksman (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/marksman) is basically exactly what you want. Has 3 different combat styles, a bunch of supporting powers, likes using wisdom, and gives a couple bonus feats.

Good, you recommended the 3.5 version. The one with psychic reformation on its power list. See my review and brief description of the class in my sig to get a feel for the class. It's really cool and seems to be exactly what you are looking for.